another vs. question! (NT650 vs SV650) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Question another vs. question! (NT650 vs SV650)

Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade to a new bike before next summer. My needs are: something sporty, cheap, reliable. Capable of the daily commute, and weekend rides w/ the local crotch rocket crew. Then, on the Touring end of things, i plan to do a X-country ride next summer, so i need this same bike to be able to handle highway touring.

At the top of my list right now are these two bikes, the Honda Hawk GT(NT650) or the Suzuki SV650. THe Hawk has the advantage of being a couple thousand dollars cheaper, which will leave me room for gear like bags, windsheild, Corbin, etc. THe SV has the advantage of being 10yrs newer, bigger aftermarket, more support, but also alot more expensive, which leaves little $$ for gear...

I'd really like to hear of anyone's experience with long range rides with either of these bikes.

Thanks!!

Mike K.
'95 ZX6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 06:33 AM

The NT650 is a great bike, but the SV650 is better. When the NT came out everyone loved it, but said "I want more power". The SV does everything the NT does, with about 30 (I think?) more horses.
If you plan to ride with other sportbikes, you may want the SV's extra power. If you plan to ride cross-country, you may wish you had the passing power of the SV. Also, the SV is physically larger than the NT, which is more comfy on long trips.
The NT does have the sweet single sided swingarm and CBR600 front end, but it isn't that much cheaper. I routinely see naked SV650's for sale for $4000. A super nice NT650 that needs nothing would set you back about $3000 since most people are reluctant to sell them.
As for saving $, instead of saddlebags just use some straps and bungies. I rode 6000 miles with all my stuff ghetto-strapped to the back seat. You don't need fancy luggage to get across the country.
If you budget doesn't allow you to buy the SV and get some protective gear, then go with the NT. Even though the SV is a more powerful and newer bike, the NT is still a great bike.
I think your decision will come down to a) money and b) horsepower.

'He did what the cipher could not, he rescued himself.'
~~ Alfred Bester
~~The Stars My Destination
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 06:36 AM

Re: another vs. question! (NT650 vs SV650)

Quote:
Originally posted by problemaddict
I'm looking to upgrade to a new bike before next summer. My needs are: something sporty, cheap, reliable. Capable of the daily commute, and weekend rides w/ the local crotch rocket crew. Then, on the Touring end of things, i plan to do a X-country ride next summer, so i need this same bike to be able to handle highway touring.

At the top of my list right now are these two bikes, the Honda Hawk GT(NT650) or the Suzuki SV650.
I have a Hawk and have done some touring on it (3 days, 1000+ miles), but I wouldn't recommend it for a reeeeally long ride. The basic problem is that it's hard to carry stuff on. There simply isn't room for a decent set of saddlebags. A tankbag and tailpack combination fits fine, but total capacity isn't up to a week-long trip.

That said, it's an excellent choice for the other riding you mention.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 06:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
a stock, non-raced, good condition hawk will be more than reliable enough for sport touring. however, good luck finding one. and if you do, it may not be MUCH cheaper than a 99 sv650. last time i saw a nice hawk for sale it was in the neighborhood of $3500. of course, that was sometime ago and it was a NICE hawk.

what kinda bags do you have on the kz? i'd imagine it's a universal setup. can't you just trade bikes, keep gear.

i really can't say which one vibrates worse at highway speed. i'd imagine the hawk is probably a little worse. you need a windscreen on both. both will fit good sport touring tires, which i'm sure you know are better than most canyon riders are willing to admit.

both should be great on gas.

personally, i'd buy the one i got the best deal on (note, not the cheapest, just a deal). the sv does have about twice the horsepower, but does it really matter? the hawk wouldn't get run down on the highway.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode