SUZUKI HIYABUSA 21 10.40%
TRIUMPH SPRINT ST 17 8.42%
TRIUMPH TROPHY 900/1200 2 0.99%
YAMAHA FJR1300 40 19.80%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Best Sporttourer Update

I have a 99 blackbird , which I have done a dozen or more 500 mile + days It has my vote. What is yours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 02:37 PM
UFO

Well, based on the last two bikes I've owned, I'd have to definately go with the VFR 800. The Hayabusa is an adequate STer, but needs lots of work in the comfort department. It's geometry isn't condusive to attaching saddlebags, tho it can certainly be done. I'm sure many of those listed are also great STers depending on your needs...but I haven't ridden many of them. I just did a 2100 mile ride on my new VFR and had no comfort problems, and I'm 6' 1" and 235.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 02:44 PM

Why the Falco and not the Futura, given the fact that the Futura is the company's sport-touring rig?

Needless to say, I'm just a tad biased

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 09:50 PM

I've got an FJR, a V-Strom and a Blackbird. All could be considered sport touring bikes but when I think of the class it is the FJR that fits best. V-Strom is a better long distance bike for me and the Blackbird is more refined but the FJR is the best combo for a trip with 500-600 mile days.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 11:38 PM

I've got a '90 FJ1200 that I consider one of the all time great ST bikes. It's getting a bit long in the tooth for me (I'm wanting something a little lighter with fuel-injection) so next year I'm hoping to get a sleeper ST bike: The Sprint RS. It's got the same sub-frame as the touted ST, but I'm a fan of half-faired bikes. I like to see the motor; what can I say?
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 12:57 PM

Question I jest have one question...

What the hell is a 'Concorse'?

And at the risk of cornfusing the newbies, one could also put a ZX-9R and ZX-6R in the mix? Sportbikes fer sure (despite what motojournalists like to say), but since they're comfy, no reason why ya can't tour on 'em. Does anybody with any experience believe a sportbike HAS to be uncomfortable?
My 6R's good for 'bout a 3 day tour with nuttin' but a $5 WalMart travel case under the seat. Travelin' light, fer sure, but sometimes ya just gotta get back to the basics! I got the 6R for up to 3 days of backroad tours and warmer weather. For anything over 3 days and in weather below 50 degrees (high for the day), I usually take the Concours. Not that I couldn't do more than a 3 day tour on the 6, but I just hate to hang luggage off it!

BTW, Motorcycle Online last year did a story 'bout the VFR vs. the ZX-6R (Two Unlikely Bedfellows: Inline-four vs V-four Sport Touring). Believe the final winner was...well, depends on what ratio of sport/tour you want!
http://motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/t.../01vfr6r.motml

Since the VFR seems to have taken a step backwards this year, and the 6R has remained the same...
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 08:50 PM

I've been putting alot of miles on my Blackbird this year. For me, it's nailed what I want for sport-touring. I've already done several 7 to 9 hour rides, some with 3 Givi bags and a wife, some just me and a tankbag. Now that my Corbin is in, I can't wait to try another trip.

I considered a VFR, but for the same money I got WAY more power, and enought room for my wife. Ergos aren't that much different, especially now that I've ordered some VFR handlebars. Did I mention it's got WAY more power than most sport tourers
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 02:12 AM

Let's not forget the ZX-12!

Although it ain't my bag o' tea, I plumb forgot how Mitch (aka 'Honda') Boehm (Motorcyclist Magazine) was just blown away by the fact that the much improved new ZX-12 was lighter than the new VFR!
Iff'n HP is yur thing (and it seems to be by lots of folks in here), well...VFR vs. ZX-12? Fuhgedaboutit!

Looks like we're missing a lot of good candidates in the poll...
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

as far as a ZX12 is concerned the bike does,nt even come with a centerstand and the fuel range is good for about a40 miles you normally don'nt see sporttouring bikes at TRACKDAY'S
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 05:05 PM

Huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by bbirdxx2000
...you normally don'nt see sporttouring bikes at TRACKDAY'S
Dunno what that's supposed to mean. I'm assuming you're saying folks are carrying ZX-12's to track days? Nuttin' wrong with it, but to me that's like carrying a Blackbird to a trackday (OK, maybe not as bad). Not really a track bike, but if the ZX-12 can do it, that's just another in the plus column for it!
A sport-tourer that can do track days: I see nuttin' at all wrong with that! If you're going to include the VFR, I see no reason why the ZX-12 wouldn't be included. Is there some reason having less weight and more HP than a VFR would eliminate it from being a sport-tourer?

BTW...nobody ever told me what the hell a Concorse was yet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode