KAWASAKI CONCORSE 10 4.95%
SUZUKI HIYABUSA 21 10.40%
TRIUMPH SPRINT ST 17 8.42%
TRIUMPH TROPHY 900/1200 2 0.99%
YAMAHA FJR1300 40 19.80%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 01:37 AM

Need to add Aprilia Futura, Honda ST1300, and Ducati ST series to the list. Some, like the Falco and ZX12, are more sport bikes than sport tourers. A true ST should be able to take you on 800+ mile days that consist of something like this: 300 miles superslab to get to a great road, 200 miles of flogging that great road and 300 miles of more superslab to get to your destination...all while carrying full luggage and possibly a passenger. At no time should you (or your passenger) feel fatigued or sore and at no time should you feel unconfident in your bike's abilities in all situations. That's a great sport tourer in my book. I rule out things like the ZX12, XX, Hayabusa, Falco, etc. because I know I would get too fatigued/sore and I would have a difficult time with luggage space and/or passenger accomodations. I rode on a friend's Futura for a day and found I could easily keep pace with the Gixxers and R1's in my group (repli-racers are out of their element on ALL public roads. They do only one thing perfectly: pushing 10/10ths on a race track. It took me years to finally figure this out.) Some good riders pulled me slightly on their repli-racers...at first. They inevitably get fatigued and, within an hour or two, I found them disappearing in my rear view mirrors, sloppily trying to keep up. At the end of the day I felt refreshed and ready for a long night-ride while my buddies all wanted to go home and sleep forever. That's when I discovered what a real sport tourer was all about.

Last edited by mashuri; 11-02-2002 at 01:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 04:44 PM

Kawasaki ZR-7 with the Kawasaki hard bags by GIVI, ProGel Grips, Corbin Saddle with backrest, and SlipStreamer Sportshield....all for under $6,000 US...Not the fastest, (not the slowest either!), easy to work on (not that you need to work on it!), and it gets 45-50 MPG two up....it's bare bones, no frills sport-touring.....I've done Deals Gap on a three day 1,600 mile trip without a wimper....

If I had the money? I'd have me one of those FJR1300's...I rode an old FJ1100 back in the day and loved it! <sigh> if I could only win the Lotto!

post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 06:39 PM

Got to sit on an ST1300 in the showroom today. Dash reminds me of the Concours and my knees hit the faring but if you are normal size it should offer a bit more wind protection and better pillon comfort than the FJR. Noticably heavier off the side stand than the FJR. Paint has a bit of a purple tint to it, undecided on that. The closer fit of the side bags and fairing to the tank and frame do give it a bit more of a finished/integrated look than the FJR.

post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 01:39 PM

Best Sport tourer

I previously owned a hayabusa. I want somthing with comparible power but hard luggage and better 2 up comfort. Something that does 0-60 in under 3.5. Any suggestions??

Thanks
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 02:10 PM

Re: Best Sport tourer

Quote:
Originally posted by gsx-in the city
I previously owned a hayabusa. I want somthing with comparible power but hard luggage and better 2 up comfort. Something that does 0-60 in under 3.5. Any suggestions??
For power comparable to the Busa with better 2-up comfort, you're pretty much limited to Boeing's F/A-18D Hornet.

But, for getting to and from the airport, check out the Yamaha FJR1300, Kawasaki ZZR1200, and Honda ST1300. All do 60 in under 3.5 (the Honda just barely) yet have hard bags (optional on the Kaw).
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 05:22 PM

Re: Re: Best Sport tourer

Quote:
Originally posted by DataDan
For power comparable to the Busa with better 2-up comfort, you're pretty much limited to Boeing's F/A-18D Hornet.

But, for getting to and from the airport, check out the Yamaha FJR1300, Kawasaki ZZR1200, and Honda ST1300. All do 60 in under 3.5 (the Honda just barely) yet have hard bags (optional on the Kaw).
LMAO!!

Hey Dan what does an extended warranty run for one of those hornets?!?!?!

I was not aware that the ST1300 was that quick. I must say that I do like the Yammer 1300R. I'm a little skeptical though. I've never owned a Yamaha. But I suppose that they make a good machine because everyone who's owned R1's and R6's that I know has been happy.

Once again thanks for your time
Cheers...
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 06:31 PM

Re: Best Sport tourer

Quote:

Thanks

I'd seriously look at either a ZZR1200 or a CBR1100xx ( my choice).

Although the ZZR has "factory bags" available, they are in fact Givi bags (basically re-badged E360 series). I've put my own Givi bags on my XX and ..... they cost me less that the Kawi version.
The ZZR has a larger faring, but looks kinda weird. The XX is still a classic/plain design ...... we like to call it the "stealth" look.

Both Bikes do 0-60 in 3 seconds. Both top out at around 170 mph.

The ZZR uses carbs. the XX is fuel injected.

Both have comfortable saddles, but for 2-up and serious distances, get a Corbin. ( my wife and I have done 600 plus mile days on both stock and Corbin ).

The ZZR bars sit a little higher, but the XX is more sporty, but can be changed if you desire.

Both bikes are rated more comfortable than a 'Busa.

I don't know about the Kawi, but the CBR1100XX has got a fantastic reputation for reliability, many have over 100,000 miles on them.

Basically, get the one that "turns your crank".

(btw, touring with wife/friend, two up, can be alot of fun we did 3700 km in 8 days (2250) and no fights. Whenever they want to argue, speed up. )
post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 07:50 AM

Re: Re: Best Sport tourer

Quote:
Originally posted by oldgixer

(btw, touring with wife/friend, two up, can be alot of fun we did 3700 km in 8 days (2250) and no fights. Whenever they want to argue, speed up. ) [/B]
Cool...

One problem though... My wife is 5'10" with long legs: great for sex but bad for motorcycles She thought a GSXR was more comfy in back than the `Busa. I just wonder about her on the back of the XX which would be my choice if I were buying today. It doesn't matter right now because I'm maybe looking at 2-3 years down the road for my next bike purchase due to unemployment financial setbacks. For all I know, somebody may come out with something a little better in the mean time. But I do like the XX.

Thanks for the input oldgixxer

EVERYBODY be safe and Merry Xmas
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 09:41 AM

Re: Re: Re: Best Sport tourer

Quote:
Cool...

One problem though... My wife is 5'10" with long legs: great for sex but bad for motorcycles She thought a GSXR was more comfy in back than the `Busa. I just wonder about her on the back of the XX which would be my choice if I were buying today. It doesn't matter right now because I'm maybe looking at 2-3 years down the road for my next bike purchase due to unemployment financial setbacks. For all I know, somebody may come out with something a little better in the mean time. But I do like the XX.

Thanks for the input oldgixxer

EVERYBODY be safe and Merry Xmas
If you're wife's that tall, and insists on riding on the back, get the Corbin, but have it customized. I ordered mine 1/2" taller on the front ( I have long legs and bad knees). The passenger side of the saddle was made 1" taller so my short wife could see over me, as a bonus she has lots more leg room.

Since you're looking at a couple years, who knows what's gonna happen. The Blackbird is due for a major overhaul, the expectation is more HP, maybe less weight, and adjustable suspension. VTEC is possible. The hope is they don't change it too much, just a few things to keep up with the Suzuki and Kawi in the engine area.
post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 01:44 PM

Sport tourer

Ya all are way off it's the Suzuki Bandit 1200s, no doubts,ha,ha,ha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode