LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

We need to determine what a sporturer is Or put priortities in order

1 comfert
2 no vibration
3 windprotection
4 siting upright

basicly being able to do a 500+ mile day and being able to stand upright

I have been on both a ZX12 and a VFR the VFR hand down as far as my list is concerned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bbirdxx2000
...basicly being able to do a 500+ mile day and being able to stand upright
Well there ya are! I've done a number of 500 mile days on my 6R, no problem (47 yrs. old). I'm sure the 9R is equally adept, and I find it hard to believe the 12R has a more radical seating position than the 9 or 6R!

I have been on both a ZX12 and a VFR the VFR hand down as far as my list is concerned

My list? OK...NOW I'm gettin it!
The poll should read 'Which Bike Does bbirdxx2000 Think Is The Best Sport-tourer'!
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

your getting way to serious, actually my choice would be the FJR1300 but seeing you can't get one I choose the blackbird This a poll (opion) treated as such there are no losers just close seconds

post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 08:09 PM

The best bike is whichever one hits that grin factor you. Personally my 89 ZX-10 is the best for me fast, handles pretty well and can be ridden all day. I just can't get into xxx bike is the best for this or that nothing personal just too many variables.

These Things We Do
That Others May Live
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 09:10 AM

right on the head.....which one you like, is the best bike, just not a trike, thats not a bike! My wife kinda like,(gasp)(what!) A bike has two wheels, how can u lean, what ever do you mean, never to lean?, obscene!
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 08:49 AM

I agree!! Grin factor is the major denominator here! Ergonomics is heavily weighted with "Did I enjoy riding all day on my bike" or "man, I own a dog... ". Yeah, my bike is heavy, but it'll do just under warp 9, and it is no less fun in the twisties.

When I get through riding my bike, as long as it leaves me wanting to crawl back on tomorrow, it is the best bike in the world!
post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 08:53 AM

YZF 600 R. Best bang for the buck.
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 07:31 PM

Best Sport Tourer

I own a Kawasaki ZRX 1100 and a ZX12R. I have done a 3,000 mile camping tour to Utah on the ZRX with soft luggage and a tank bag and it was absolutely terrific.
The ZX12R is much more comfortable to ride than I would have thought, but luggage space would be a real problem. The monocoque frame pretty much eliminates tank bags, and magnetic ones will not work. My saddlebags will not work on the right side because the Akrapovic pipe comes up too high, and what little room there is under the cowl is used in part by the Power Commander III.
But, IF I was motel touring, I think I could use the left hand saddlebag and the top one and be OK. It would be weight unbalanced to the left, but it is heavy enough that I doubt it would cause a problem. It would look a little odd as well, but why would I care?
Now, if I had the time and money to try it.....

Dave Preston
Cycle Barn
post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 11:11 AM

I voted Aprilia Falco, 'cause I own one and love it... Consecutive 300 mile days aren't a problem, and I have a back that's bad enough that I had surgery on my spine.

But there is no *best* Sport Tourer... It's all about where you fit on the Sport~Touring continuum and what you are looking to get from your bike. You could Sport Tour an Ducati 998 simply by tossing a set of bags over the pillion and leaving the house. A couple Brit nutters even went coast to coast on a pair of them in the frikkin' Cannonball Run last year! That's a 6000 mile ride, and they hadn't even turned around to go home!

It's all about what fits your desires for performance, comfort, luggage type/capacity, looks and feel...

ZX10 said it very well:
Quote:
The best bike is whichever one hits that grin factor you. Personally my 89 ZX-10 is the best for me fast, handles pretty well and can be ridden all day. I just can't get into xxx bike is the best for this or that nothing personal just too many variables.
Scott
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 07:15 PM

I had an 85 BMW K100LT that I liked the seating position but its worse vibration/buzz was right around 55-60mph.Extremely smooth at 70,but not too practical around town.The first summer,I thought it had a coolant leak on the left side as my left pant leg was wet after a days ride.Turned out it was sweat from all the heat of the cylinder head being on that side.(The engine is an in line 4 laid on its side and parallel with the frame.)
I now have an 95 ST1100 with helibars,Corbin seat with Butt Buffer.Very smooth engine,good torque,about as comfortable as the BMW.(I need to sit up right due to back problems.)My only gripe is its weight.Not felt at speeds,but when pushing the bike out of the garage.
The ST1300 looks good to me,but still heavy.I understand it will still be awhile before they arrive at the dealers due to some problems.All the writeups say it is more touring than sport vs the FJR1300 .Has anyone received this bike and got some time on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode