Rocket Pillow - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Rocket Pillow

http://www.rocketpillow.com/

Anyone try it? What's your opinion? Does it attach w/ straps or magnets? How big is it?

I'm not getting responses to my emails to the site.

Thanks for the help,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 06:01 AM

Never even seen that before, but looks cool and comfy. would like to know more myself. The web site says you can get it with the magnetic holding,or the strap holding it on.let me know if u find anymore info.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Here it is...

I got a reply to my last email. Here it is:

Paul,
I'm wondering if you had problems downloading the website, there are pictures of the six different colors available and it does specify that there are magnetic bags. If you are having trouble with the site please let me know. Anyway the bags are black with different color options on the side pockets. Colors are black, silver, red, blue, yellow and green, with strap down or magnetic available. The dimensions are 14" long x 10" wide x 10" high in the front tapering down to 3" high in the back. Sorry I havn't yet done the math to figure the internal space in quarts.
Thanks- Rob Porcella

-Now my big decision is whether to get this, or just a large tank bag and stuff it full. I road with my friends large tank bag, and it was very comfortable to lay on. I don't think the rocket pillow is very big. I also don't think it has a map pocket, but I could be wrong...... Anyone have any good suggestions for a big magnetic tank bag at a fair price?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Oops

Oops, just figured out how to get info off the site. I wasn't clicking on the pictures. The rocket pillow does have a map pouch. The ad in the back of last month's "Sport Rider" had it for $100. I'm gonna order it with that.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 06:20 AM

When you get it, don't forget to let us know what u think of it. I lay on my tank bag all the time( Marsee,can't remember the model # but it is expandable)and i find it's ok,but would like the angle,but it would be nice if the angle could be adjusted.So let us know.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

I'll make sure I write a decent report after I get to try it out.

So far, the service was good. I beleive I spoke to Rich directly over the phone. He asked what bike and my height and advised he would adjust it prior to shipping. He said he'd ship it ASAP the next morning. Total price (introductory) was $119 for magnetic (99 for strap) plus $12 shipping (ouch!). I hope it's worth it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Just got it

I just got it in the mail. Talk about high quality! It makes my teknic bag look like crap. It is made of codura that's a little thicker than a Jansport back pack. It has a neoprene cushion to rest your chin on. The side pockets are made out of an even heavier material. It has a rubberized non-slip bottom. I sat on my bike w/ it and it feels really comfy. I'm going to NJ tomorrow, so I'll try out a long trip w/ it.

BTW- It comes w/ a shoulder strap and what appears to be a rain cover.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 03:11 PM

Looking forward for your report. Think I'm going to get one myself.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

I got back from NJ yesterday. The RP works as advertised. It's not a total solution to fatige, but pretty good. I would say it helps w/ about 50% of fatigue. Unfortunitely, my dumb @$$ decided to wear a back pack instead of strapping it to the back, so I was a little more burdoned than usual. I also think a slight adjustment of the frame might help.

The best thing about the RP, vs. a regular tank bag, is that it can be completely empty and work as well as it would when full. I hated stuffing t-shirts into my old tankbag to get something that was only half as good as this.

My only qualms are the wind and access. It is very hard to "tuck in" with it even slightly. I had to push the bag forward at high speed to avoid major wind blast, but then again, I really should get a double-bubble. The main compartment opens from the end facing away from you. This is not that big a deal b/c the side pockets are easy to get at for toll money, etc.

I also don't like them screwing people on shipping. It gets to me getting charged $12 after the fact. I much prefer companies that advertise w/ shipping included, or charge actual rates, but that's just a pet peeve of mine.

All in all, I think it was well worth the $130. The quality is very good, right down to the little tags at the end of the zippers. It is easy to carry w/ the included straps and the rain guard is a nice touch.

Hope that helps,
Paul
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 06:14 AM

Thanks Paul.. Very well done. Think i am going to order myself one today. I'll get the silver with the magnetic hold.. Right on..

Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode