What I chose... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

What I chose...

As many of you know, I've been researching for some time now for my next bike. As I keep my bikes for about 5 years, and have made some poor choices in the past, I wanted to do a thorough job this time. I really appreciate all the excellent input all the members here at SBW have provided in my various threads.

This last weekend at Laguna Seca helped me finalize my decision, after getting a chance to ride a number of bikes. There were a lot of bikes that would work just fine for my riding terrain and abilities so the choice was not easy. I'm not really wild about racer-boy graphics and prefer not to repaint a new bike, so a couple were eliminated (ZX9R, great bike, but not quite there) I tend to lean a bit towards the Sport Tour category, but so many of those machines are very heavy (ZZR, FJR1300, Honda ST, K1200RS) and I live in the mountains with very twisty roads, so something lighter and more agile was more to my liking. The XX was a very strong contender, but I wanted something just a tad lighter-nimble, and the speed of a 'Bird could really get me in trouble! The VFR for '02 is not my cup of tea for a number of reasons (Thanks Chicago Buck for real-world advice there)

I also like a degree of exclusivity, so the Ducati, Triumph and Aprilia were candidates too. The Triumph ST was very close, but lacked a little refinement, was a tad heavy (not much) and would require some suspension upgrades fairly soon. The Ducati sounds wonderful, but maintenance issues, price and ergos that weren't quite right scratched it from the list.

So I bought an Aprilia RST1000 Futura, in the stealth-fighter ash gray color. Can't say I'm completely wild about the looks, but it does kinda grow on you. For certain, after a mile or two on the road, you don't give a rip about the looks, 'cause it's such a great ride. SUPERB brakes, great torquey motor, smooth gearbox, excellent handling with good road manners. Not a track bike, but will go to a few track days. I don't have much in the way of local dealer support, but the Bay area has some excellent ones that can handle major service, should I ever need that. From the majority of owners I've polled, they are very reliable bikes.

I hope to pick it up in a couple weeks and will give some feedback on long-term ownership.

Thanks again for the excellent feedback you all have given me in this process.

Cheers!

Kev

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 11:58 AM

Awe, ....man

And I could have cut you a great deal on my Falco

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

I thought you already sold the Falco. I did ride one and found the ergos worse than the Mille??? I guess the Falco tank is longer, as I had a lot more pressure on my wrists. Anyway, I'm into the wonderful life of Aprilia with comfort as well.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 06:02 PM
UFO

Thumbs up

Awesome! Congrats! I test road and almost bought a red Futura when they first came out, but awful fuel injection (I think it's worked out now) stopped me from dropping $14000 on a bike that stalled three times before hitting the first stop light. Fantastic bike other than that. I'm sure all the gremlins have been worked out.

Webmaster -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 02:36 AM

Thumbs up

Nice!

2000 R6 (Blue)
Hindle Exhaust
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 05:01 AM

A Sound reasoning Tahoe, Congrats!

"It's like Dancing sitting down. Squeeze-tap-release-twist. Left hand-right foot-left hand-right hand"
~James Patterson

Kyle J.-
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 05:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyjr
Thumbs up

You get a thumbs from over here too!! I happen to like ALL Aprilias. Big fan of the Mille R, too. You are gonna have alot of fun on that bike!! ENJOY!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 10:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to mashuri
Damn you summed up my thoughts almost to a "T". I still plan to test ride a K1200RS just to make sure but I'm leaning towards the Futura as my next ride also. I like the Ash Black best because it helps subdue it's funky lines...plus it kinda looks like a stealth fighter with all its sharp angles.

"My other ride is yo' momma!"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

The K1200RS is a wonderful hammer. Loves to fly, but can be a tad unwieldy in really twisty stuff. Excellent reliability, torque and great looking to boot!

Ride safe!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 01:08 PM

Nice "Batman Bike" Kev !!

A few thoughts (I only have a few...) on the K12RS...

In comparison to the Aprilia Futura...
At first, I didnt care for the "wax on- wax off" karate kid mirrors, and the sharp lines on the Futura. After recently seeing Kev's, it looked less severe than I thought. He has removed his decals, and the stealth look suits it well. It looks "at home" outside his dojo.

My thoughts on the first 3K miles on my 2002 K1200RS...
It took me quite a while to get happy with the weight and size of the K12, but after 3K miles, I can drag the pegs right off of it. The weight and mass of the bike throw you a bit, as I came from an '02 VFR, with an F4i before it. As many on the K12 sites will tell you, its strange to have such a big bike be so willing to hit the twisties. I chose it because I liked the engineering, the ergos, the ride and the BMW dealer is right around the corner. I will never give up the mighty K, but I will prolly add a 600RR to the fleet when I can save enough up. (yellow, of course)

I am still thrilled with the K12, it suits the riding I have here in the Midwest. Out in twistie land, I might make another choice. (nah, prolly not, I love this bike)

Buck

On their death bed, no one says "I wish I had spent more time at the office"

2002 BWM K1200RS
Ice blue/Marekesh red

2002 black/silver F4i.... Looking ...

Last edited by ChicagoBuck; 11-05-2002 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode