Aftermarket Seats - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket Seats

Are Corbin seats worth the money, or more accurately do they work when placed on a street machine like a GSXR? What about Seargent?
THX Old Gixxer http://mayercycle.homestead.com/mayercycle.html

Last edited by maDDtraPPer; 07-06-2002 at 04:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 10:20 AM

I'd like to reply with personal experience, but I'm still waiting for my Corbin ...... ordered it April 10 ....... it was supposed to be here before the end of June. My bike has a very comfortable stock seat, but apparently the Corbin is even better. I ordered it because I do alot of 2-up touring and the rear seat is a huge improvement over stock. It should stop my wife from sliding into me everytime I slow down. ( I ordered the Corbin right after the first time my "boys" got crushed into the gas tank after hitting the brakes. )

In addition, Corbin lets you make custom adjustments, my seat will be 1/4" taller than stock in order to give me a little more leg room. Stock Corbins are actually a little shorter.

Another custom saddle maker is Rick Meyer, if I had to order again I'd seriously consider using him. (he's got a website .... somewhere)

The older I get,
The better I was.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 11:24 PM

SCREW CORBIN

checked at the shop, Corbin says it still isn't shipped. They say it'll leave Monday. Buy the time it gets here it will have taken 16 weeks. I'm gonna get a waybill # Tuesday or they can stick my order where it'll hurt the most. I'll order the Meyer over the winter, cause they use the origional seat pan to build a TOTALLY CUSTOM, MADE TO ORDER SADDLE. This Mayer guy sounds like a true professional, totally anal about the quality of work he does. I've heard very good reports about his product. It will take awhile, but that's ok as long as I know in ADVANCE.

The older I get,
The better I was.

Last edited by oldgixer; 07-10-2002 at 11:26 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 05:18 AM

I think the consensus is that Corbin's quality is better than Sargent's, but their customer service is absolutely, unquestionably, horrible. I got a Corbin for my F3 because the stock saddle was pretty uncomfortable. I also got one (found it on e-bay for 1/2 price) for the VFR because my wife likes having a backrest. The seat itself is not an improvement over the stock seat, which was pretty comfortable. One thing I do not like about this Corbin is the square edges, which makes it difficult to go from edge to edge smoothly. Just my $.02.

It turned out the kangaroo was right.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 06:38 AM

Corbin is too much $$$

I agree that they are way overpriced. You can get just about the same eventual product at a custom auto upholsterer for about 100 bucks. Not with a backrest, though. But when you add that it goes to almost 500 bucks.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 06:57 AM

There are aftermarket seats available used though. I found my first Corbin on e-bay and my second in a local "Wantadvertiser." You can also check out sites devoted strictly to your model bike (I sold my stock seat via www.hondavfr.com no charge). If you're willing to be paitient there are deals to be found.

It turned out the kangaroo was right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode