Touring on Suzuki gsx-r 750? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to drockthethug
Touring on Suzuki gsx-r 750?

Anybody out there using there gixxer 750 for sport touring have any experiences to share??

Gixxer 750 with helibars!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:31 PM

I couldn't do it. I had a gixxer 600 and it was too rough on the knees for an real long riding. After about 2 hours I had to really stretch out good. If I spent say 5 hours riding, the next day my knees were shot. I hope you have better luck with the ergos than me.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:43 PM
UFO

It can be done, it just depends on your size and your threshold of pain. There are many members on my site that sport-tour on Gixxers, CBRs, etc.

Webmaster -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 05:40 AM

ZX-7's Did it on two of them.

The key is the tank bag to keep you from having to hold your weight up. Any length of time I end up putting my feet up on back pegs anyhow. Bar risers and lowering the pegs with a custom bracket helps a lot, although you lose a little ground clearance. Also the big fix is to recover any stock seat adding good custom padding or buy a Corbin but I think those are way overpriced.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to drockthethug
Re: ZX-7's Did it on two of them.

Quote:
Originally posted by DIRTYCURTYD
The key is the tank bag to keep you from having to hold your weight up. Any length of time I end up putting my feet up on back pegs anyhow. Bar risers and lowering the pegs with a custom bracket helps a lot, although you lose a little ground clearance. Also the big fix is to recover any stock seat adding good custom padding or buy a Corbin but I think those are way overpriced.
I might look into lowering the pegs do you know anybody who makes the the custom bracket how much trouble is it to change? I'm thinkin if I did lower the pegs it'll be for the street and whenever I take it to the track I change the pegs back to normal.

Gixxer 750 with helibars!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 02:21 AM

Try using a motoX kidney belt to help support your lower back and abdomen. That way you can take a little weight off the wrists.

While on the move keep stretching the legs, roll the shoulders etc. All helps.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 10:49 AM

I've done several 500 mile days to Salem, OR and back. I found that my gas stops conveniently coincided with my need to stretch. I'd spend a few minutes walking about, and then be good for another 180 miles. I do have a Suzuki gel seat, but the ole butt goes numb anyway. I would keep moving around in the seat, extending my legs, etc. The next day I was a bit sore, and this probably would've compounded over a several day trip.

It doesn't have to be fun to be "fun".
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 07:56 PM

I had an 88. The longest I've been on it is 7 hours. No problem if you make sure you get off the bike and stretch frequently. Take a tankbag. FWIW I did this at 39 years of age, you younger kids should have no problems, especially with the newer GSXR's.

The older I get,
The better I was.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 01:44 PM

Just came back from a 5600km sport tour through western Alberta and Eastern BC on my naked 1978 GS1000. Felt the knees a little, but that could be because of my advanced age - 50. I had a great ride, great cruising, great twisties. Any modern bike will have a better ride and possibly better seat than mine.

I have been drooling over new bikes recently and sat on a few including the GSXR750 and Katana 750 and they are positively luxurious. GSXR 750 - If you got it, ride it, and as far as possible.

P.S. to rest up between days of hard riding - I slept on the ground & under the stars.

Cheers from Subarctic
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sailor
Just came back from a 5600km sport tour through western Alberta and Eastern BC on my naked 1978 GS1000. Felt the knees a little, but that could be because of my advanced age - 50. I had a great ride, great cruising, great twisties. Any modern bike will have a better ride and possibly better seat than mine.

I have been drooling over new bikes recently and sat on a few including the GSXR750 and Katana 750 and they are positively luxurious. GSXR 750 - If you got it, ride it, and as far as possible.

P.S. to rest up between days of hard riding - I slept on the ground & under the stars.
Sounds like a great ride. How many days did you take? Lets see some pics and details ... perhaps on another thread. That part of the country is too often overlooked. I just came back from a Crowsnest/ Cranbrook/ Banff loop, It was great!

Yellowknife eh? Until you started posting I though I was the northernmost contributer. Wait till you hear the Yanks complain about cold weather, you'll laugh you're ass off.

btw, if you're doing that kind of miles, consider the Katana over the gsx. Funny, although I'm only 40, my knees are also the first things to go (soccer injury).

The older I get,
The better I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode