sport tourer - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Question sport tourer

I own a k12 and love it for long trips and for running at 100 + for hours on end in sweepers. It does not break and it has power to burn.

I do not like it for the short trips and the speed turns. It is heavey and it takes some musle to move it around. It does however go where you tell it to and tracks like a piece of sandpaper on soft pine.

I love the bike. I will keep it because I love it. It is expensive and therefore few can own it. I looked at the ST1100, triump and Aprilla before I bought it. It won in those groups hands down.

I now need a sport bike for the other part of my riding. It has to be at the exact opposite spectrum. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I now need a sport bike for the other part of my riding. It has to be at the exact opposite spectrum. Any thoughts?
Each of us has his own spectrum, so it's a little hard to recommend without knowing yours. What kind of roads do you like? How fast are the turns? How important is power? How far will you ride? One-up or two-up? Is comfort a factor? Any need to carry more stuff than a tank bag can accommodate?

As an "anti-K12", I might look for a lightweight twin sans plastic. Suzuki's SV650 is incredibly entertaining and, in the right hands, will leave a big sport bike in the dust on a tight road. And though I'm not really a Ducati kinda guy, the Monsters appeal to me.

You also might consider bikes like the Triumph Speed Triple, Honda 919, and Yamaha FZ1. All are much lighter than the K12 but with comparable power.

Since you're happy with your BMW, you might consider one of their twins, such as the R1100S or R1150R. With either, you get reasonable passenger accommodations and, if you need carrying capacity, available factory luggage.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 07:42 PM

The suzuki SV650 is a sweet sport bike. I was recently watching the races at Calgary and was amazed at its handling. Through the corners & Chicanes the SV kept up and outran many of the 4 cyclinder 600s and they only lost ground on the very long straightaways at Race City, and that was only because they were giving away 30+ horsepower to the 4 cylinder models. Later in my trip I was unable to keep up with an SV through the Thomson River Valley North of Kamloops even though I had it out horsepowered.

Every SV rider that I have spoken with love it.

Take a look at that one as your sport bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode