Concours Windscreens?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Concours Windscreens??

Any Connie owners have an aftermarket windscreen? if so, which one and how do you like it.. I'm currently looking at the Clearview and Rifle. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 07:35 PM

Talking Damn...you ARE lost!

Riding a Concours and hanging 'round SBW?

Anywho...I have no experience with a Clearview, but have had a Rifle on my bike since '87. I'm 5'10" tall, got the original height screen (think that would be the middle height Rifle these days), and it was a big improvement over the stock shield. The OEM unit was noisy, and had to go early on. I look over the Rifle, as my eyes are around 2 to 3 inches higher than the screen. Nuttin' big, but I got the tinted version in an effort to cut down on reflections bouncing around the dash area from lights behind me at night. In case you don't know, the biggie 'bout the Rifle is the vent which funnels air up the inside of the screen. It meets outside air at the top of the screen and keeps it from dumping over the top a bit. Must work, since it's a very quiet shield. Some folks say they have trouble with rain coming in the vent, but I've never had that problem.

If you get a Rifle, a couple of caveats:
1. Find yourself some very small O-rings to fit between the screw head and shield body. If you don't, the shields tend to develop spiderweb cracks at the screw head.
2. I installed some of the OEM Kawasaki black edging along the sides and across the top of the Rifle, as the top of the shield vibrated a bit. The edging helped dampen/eliminate it.
You can check my pix to get an idea of the screen height.
HTH
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a million! I was hoping to hear from you as I know your a long time Concours rider.. The biggest problem I have with the stock screen is the curve near the top messing up the clarity, I never understood why they did that? After looking at the Rifle with the built-in air vent, it blows the Clearview away!!

Now, that "OEM Kawasaki black edging" you speak of. Is this the stuff that just slips on around the perimeter of the shield, the stuff I ripped off the day I bought my bike Mine was clear BTW.. just curious

[quote]Riding a Concours and hanging 'round SBW?
[quote]

Yeah, but it's a "liter-bike"

Thanks again

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hogs

Yeah, but it's a "liter-bike"

Thanks again
ZX 10 engine no less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The original speed king.

No problems IMO if we let ex250 riders in without hassles.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hogs
The biggest problem I have with the stock screen is the curve near the top messing up the clarity, I never understood why they did that?
Dunno...I think the flip may have something to do with all the noise the stock screen makes, as I've heard some folks say just a flat screen is quieter.

Now, that "OEM Kawasaki black edging" you speak of. Is this the stuff that just slips on around the perimeter of the shield...
Don't remember, but I don't think my OEM shield had anything round the top edge. I'm thinking the OEM unit had extra plastic running along the edges, but it could have been some sort of stick-on edging-didn't really look at it that closely. I just got some of the black stuff that runs along the edges of the inner fairing plastic. Lockhart makes a selection of edging (clear/black/colors) that might be a bit neater. I think you just need something to cut down on the 'buzzsaw' effect the top of the Rifle exhibits. Maybe this is one reason they put edging on shields from the factory-to dampen vibration?
Anywho...Rifle sez 'finger tighten' the shield. I'm not a big fan of finger tight stuff, 'specially on a motorcycle. I simply tightened my first shield snugly, and the spiderweb cracks developed. 'Course, they never got worse for 10 years, 'til I had to ride a long length of boulders at a road construction site in Canada one year. The outer left hole crack spread to the edge of the shield and a 3" hunk 'departed' the bike. I'm on my second shield (original base), this time with O-rings added, and no cracks at the mounting holes yet.

If you ever need a good place for parts, give Ron Ayers Motorsports a try! They give good discounts for out of state orders (last $100 MSRP order was 'bout $60), and I was so impressed with their parts service/prices over the years that I drove down there to buy my 6R from 'em. They seem to have a bunch of competant enthusiasts working for 'em. Their website ain't much (but improving): best bet is to use the toll free number. You also know www.buykawasaki.com has an online parts fiche for your bike?
Ron Ayers Motorsports
1929 North Memorial Drive
Greenville, NC 27834
(800) 888-3084 Jarrod Smith/Outside Sales
(252) 758-3084 (customer service)
http://www.ronayers.com/main.cfm
email: [email protected]

Last edited by basicblur; 04-12-2002 at 06:06 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

If you ever need a good place for parts, give Ron Ayers Motorsports a try!
Thanks, I could have used that number last year when I dropped the bike backing out of the garage ripping off a mirror and peg (don't ask )

Thanks for your help. It looks like I'll be ordering the Rifle today!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode