my new ride - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Talking my new ride

I finally took possession of my '00 Blackbird today. I couldn't wait any longer and jumped at the first dry day with temperatures over 40 deg.

WOW it's amazing what 12 years of development and 350cc more engine will do . This bike is sooooooo smooth. It's almost a shame to keep it even close to the speed limit.

Since I now have a comfortable ride I'm planning some touring. I hope to see the West Coast, Inside passage, and Eastern Vancouver Island.

Sportbike West? Pacific Northwest meet? Who knows. If I can get the time, I'm there.

Of course now my wife want to ride with me. Are there any suggestions / modifications for 2- up sport touring anyone would like to make. I already have a Chatterbox and the Givi luggage is on order.

The older I get,
The better I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 06:04 AM

I highly recommend a Corbin gunfighter and lady saddle. Another good investment is a gortex riding suit for her. I have a 95 VFr with a corbin seat and backrest. My wife and I regularly do 250 plus mile days together on the VFR. We also have a wing for the longer trips but she still prefers the VFR for fast and fun riding.

Rick
NCVFR
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

I've already checked out Corbin. The 'Bird's seat was quite comfy for the 3 hr ride home, but I'm sure I'll need a backrest. Is the passenger seat/backrest from Corbin a huge difference or will the backpad on the tailtrunk from Givi work as well?

The older I get,
The better I was.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 12:07 PM

I have a friend who just got one of those bikes, he really likes it, puts a lot of miles per week on his bikes.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

The bike seems made to eat up highway miles. Very smooth power delivery, you always seem to be going faster than you think you are.

The older I get,
The better I was.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 10:41 PM

Glad you finally got your new baby home. Congrats.

All I can suggest is good riding suits to keep you warm and cool. Aerostich and widder electric vests/shirts ought to do the trick. Bigger windshield maybe if you want to go that way. I've never had a big screen so I'm not sure what I'm missing but you see lots of people add those.

Climate control is the ONLY weakness I've found with bikes and long tours. Never know what Ma Nature is gonna serve up as the weather du jour.

Repeal helmet laws, they only protect people we most likely don't need in the gene pool any way!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus

Climate control is the ONLY weakness I've found with bikes and long tours. Never know what Ma Nature is gonna serve up as the weather du jour.

Hard luggage solves that problem. You can carry anything in GIVI hard luggage.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 11:02 AM
UFO

Congrats on the new XX!! What color is she?

Webmaster -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by UFO
Congrats on the new XX!! ...... What color is she?

She's black

(once you go black you never go back )

All I really need now is a little weather co-operation. While I was out of town this weekend we saw mid sixties ( pretty good for around here), coming home I drove thru 2 inches of snow and the high tomorrow will be 32.

The older I get,
The better I was.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Had her on the highway yesterday. WOW

Nothing like seeing the speedo sweep past 200 kph just as fast as it did past 100. This thing likes to go fast. I chickened out a 240 ( 148 mph ) but it was still pulling hard.

I've got the Givi's here and they look like they'll carry everything I'll need, but if my wife's coming I'd better get the tailtrunk too.

My Corbin is supposed to be here in 6 weeks, but I've heard Corbin can be a little, er...actually.....alot slow. If it gets here before the PNW meet, I just might have to break it in.

My Gixer is gone. I got $3500 Can. ($2200. USD) for it which is what it cost me 4 years ago. You gotta like that .

The older I get,
The better I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode