Bike-to-Bike Communications - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Bike-to-Bike Communications

I have some Motorola Talkabout 250 radios that work great for distances up to about 1 mile. What I'd like to get is a simple earbud + mic setup that has a remote push-to-talk (known as "PTT") button that I can put on my left hand grip. Although the Talkabouts can use a voice-activated (known as "VOX") setup, I'd rather use the PTT because wind and engine noise would interfere with a VOX setup. Most of the earbud/mic setups put the PTT button on the mic. That is inconvenient when the mic is in your helmet. Moto Comm makes a unit like I want, but it costs about $70, and the Talkabouts were only $25 to begin with. Anybody know where I can get something like this? Larry

"I didn't say we wouldn't get our hair mussed."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 10:30 AM

We use HJC chatterboxes. They're made specifically for motorcyclists, you can use them VOX or it comes with a PTT. Problem is they're going to set you back about $140. I wouldn't trade mine for anything though. They're not of much use above like 65mph, but they work good out on the backroads when you're not flying, you can call back gravel or roadkill in the road to the people behind you. They also help in town for pointing out hot chicks to your friends and stuff like that. lol

"When in doubt..gas it."
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Problem Solved

Thanks for the reply. I did the obvious thing and went to Radio Shack. They had a combo earbud/mic with a remote PTT and VOX control for only $19.99! I got one to see how I like it under the helmet, and if I do, I'll but some more. Total system cost is $45 per rider. Larry

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 07:52 PM

Hmmm....wonder if they operate on the same frequency as Chatterboxes. I know we pick up walkie talkies when we're riding sometimes, not to mention the occasional drive thru window. Which can prove to be quite fun. Lmao! It would be sweet if they were the same frequency $45 is alot better than $140.

"When in doubt..gas it."
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

FRS Frequencies

They should use the same freqs, because the FCC controls them all. I'm sure my literature lists them, but it would be easier to just hook up with someone who has a Motorola. I'd bet all the FRS radios use the same microchips, anyway. Radio Shack has a large selection of earbud/mic sets with and without PTT and VOX controls. Larry

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 10:01 AM

I think you going to have problems using that FRS. Most M/C communication system use a noise cancelling mic for all the wind noise.. The earlier generation chatterboxes have this problem above 50mph.. Some systems cost around 300.00 for J&M or Audiovox, but the nice thing is you can connect you cell phone, music, or radar detector to them.. just my input.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

First Impressions

Here is what I've found in around-the-house testing so far. The Radio Shack eabud/mic (the mic is in the earbud) was comfortable with the helmet on and worked pretty well, but the remote PTT button and VOX didn't work. Turned out that the fine print said it didn't work with most Kenwood and Motorola units. So I got a JABRA brand (at Radio Shack) with an earbud/short boom mic (about 2 1/2 inches long). It is comfortable under the helmet and the mic is between my cheek and helmet padding. It works great - louder, clearer and the remote PTT button works. But, VOX doesn't work (not that I was going to use it). I'm beginning to think my Talkabout 250 Motorolas don't have VOX after all - I'll check. Oh, and although the JABRAs are $29 each, there is a $10 rebate, so cost is still $45 per unit. I'll try them out on the bikes this weekend. Larry

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Used them on the Bikes

Today we rode through the mountains using the Motorola Talkabout 250 FRS Radios ($25 each) and Jabra earbud/mic setup ($20 each). At below 60 mph, they worked fine for up to about 1/4 mile - we never used them farther than that. Below about 45 they were quite clear. Above 60, voices could be made out only with difficulty. The PTT switch on the Jabra unit is tiny and too close to the headset, so I'll have to rig up a thumb switch that can be velcroed to the left handlebar. And my wife had a hard time - not impossible - getting a comfortable fit for the earbud in the helmet (not me though). Wind noise wans't a factor at all, probably because the mic fits snugly (can't feel it though) in between your cheek and the cheek pad of the helmet. These are definately worth having. Larry

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 07:03 PM

Thanks for keepin us updated. I think I'll just stick with Chatterbox they already have all this stuff figured out and I got mine cheap on Ebay. lol. But it is an awesome low cost option for those of us on a limited budget.

"When in doubt..gas it."
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 07:48 AM

I think I'll check into these now, I hadn't thought of using my FRS before. I bought a nice set of Cobra's that work at a great distance, and getting some of those headsets would be great for riding

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode