Bags for a VFR - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Bags for a VFR

I just bought a 2000 VFR and am thinking about bags. Are the Beetle Bags are the only "fitted" system? Can you take a passenger with them installed? What do you recommend for 2-3 day jaunts 2 up? Thanks, Larry

"I didn't say we wouldn't get our hair mussed."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 02:38 PM
UFO

It appears you can go 2-up with the bags, but it looks pretty tight for leg room.

Webmaster -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 06:43 PM

Don't know exactly what you mean by "fitted", but have you considered Givi? Got a bud that bought a VFR and added the custom rack and two sidebags. When his wife rides with him, he adds a top bag/backrest. Givi seems to be well made stuff, and you can order individual parts in case of mishaps. 'Course, a tankbag is a natural.
I've never been a fan of color matched saddlebags. They may look good when new, but it's hard enough to keep from banging/scratching up black plastic, pebbled finish bags. Ain't no way a color matched, smooth finish bag is gonna look worth squat after a bit of use. 'Course, Givi also makes 'em in red, but I don't think their finish is quite as smooth as the Beetlebags? in the pix.
http://www.giviusa.com

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
'Course, if there's a hot tub at the end of a long day in the saddle, who am I to complain?
Concours Owners Group
AMA Life Member

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Bags for a VFR

Yeah, I wasn't too clear re: "fitted bags." What I meant was, bags that are (more or less) permanently attached, like the Givi and Beetle bags are. Since I only plan to use them 2 or 3 times per year, I think I've answered my own question - I'll just go with soft luggage. Thanks for the pic and the advice re: color and finishes. Larry

"I didn't say we wouldn't get our hair mussed."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 07:13 AM

Re: Bags for a VFR

Quote:
Originally posted by Colorado
What I meant was, bags that are (more or less) permanently attached, like the Givi and Beetle bags are. Since I only plan to use them 2 or 3 times per year, I think I've answered my own question - I'll just go with soft luggage.
Unless you're trying to save money, I'd seriously reconsider soft luggage. My riding buddy used to tour on a ZX-6E with soft luggage, and I used to always check his luggage when behind him. I had to warn him on more than one occassion that he had a bag touching his exhaust pipe! Looks like it didn't matter how much he cinched 'em down, they always managed to shift and hit his pipe. He's the one that now has a VFR with the full Givi setup and loves it ('Course, they now make a hard bag setup for his old ZX-6E)!
Actually, price wasn't all that bad. He rode down to Charlotte, NC and they installed for free (took about 30 minutes to install the rack first time) and he got two side bags, one top case, and passenger back rest (mounts on bottom of top case) for around $650. Once you get the rack put together, you can remove/install pretty quickly as you need. You could buy the two side cases (black or red or ?) and add the top case later if you need it, although your passenger will probably really appreciate the backrest!
The Givi's also have a lot of flexibility. If you trade bikes, just buy a new rack (if they make one for it) and carry your bags with you. You'll also probably have little trouble selling Givi cases later if your needs change. I doubt you'll have much luck trying to unload soft saddlebags.
Iff'n you look at it this way, the Givi's may actually be cheaper than soft luggage in the long run!

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
'Course, if there's a hot tub at the end of a long day in the saddle, who am I to complain?
Concours Owners Group
AMA Life Member
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 09:30 AM

Basicblur got the bases covered on this.

Givi. That is what to remember. They are the standard of the world on hard luggage that has mounting hardware for the most bikes, I am sure for a VFR. I have GIVI on a standard bike, I like it. For commuting it is great, as you just put whatever in the luggage and if you want you push one button to pop the luggage off of the bike, and it all locks.

I would probably think about soft luggage. I like hard better, but most sport bikers like to go without luggage when they get to where they are going and soft comes all the way off with no goofy suspension system hanging out on the bike.

I use a set of Tour Master soft bags and a Roadgear Jumbo Euro tail bag when I tour. A tank bag to fit the camera, intercom with tape player, and tapes, etc. and there you have it.

GIVI is making soft luggage, I have seen some of it, and it is very well made. I am considering purchasing that for replacement bags because my current bags have been many miles and they are beginning to show signs that they need to be retired.

Lastly, the current issue of Motorcycle Consumer News has a tour preparation article that goes over various luggage options (basically all from tank bags to tail bags, soft and hard luggage) and the pros and cons and what precautions you need to know. Check it out.

I like that VFR, but I want more engine from it, like put the V-MAX motor in there, then I will buy it.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 06:02 AM

Some other thoughts on the subject:
1. Givi's are large and affect the high speed handling on a vfr.
2. Soft bags tend to mar the finish unless they have a very soft backing, RKA, and are kept clean.
3. A tankbag and tail bag are adequate for most one up weekend trips.

My solution is to use a tank bag and tail pack for solo one up weekends and use saddle bags for 2 up weekend trips.

Rick
NCVFR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode