The CBR1000 is too slow - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to xs1100ryder Send a message via Yahoo to xs1100ryder
Question The CBR1000 is too slow

Thanks for all the info on the CBR 1000 . But i dont think i`ll buy a sport bike thas only as fast as my Cruiser. The ZX11 is loooking pretty good. But now it seems i have just found out that the SUZUKI RF 900 isnt a bad bike. Does any one have any info or views on this a s a used sport tourer ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 07:28 PM

Why dont you look at the Blackbird?

"It's like Dancing sitting down. Squeeze-tap-release-twist. Left hand-right foot-left hand-right hand"
~James Patterson

Kyle J.-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

I would love to have a black Bird. Its just that around here the prices are still kind of high. Mabye thats the down side of all that Honda Quality. I am looking to only spend like $4500.00 tops. Around here they are still above $6000.00. I also havent found one that hasnt been ragged out.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 07:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to fasthrc
Who told you the RF900 is a good bike?
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/gtbikes.html

HRC
Current ride:86'vfr750
Previous rides: 94'CR250, 81'CM400, 90'XR200, 78'RM125, 81'XR80
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 08:26 PM

I don't know from personal experience but a friend had an RF900 and he loved it (it got wadded last year, RIP rf900 ). Anyway I just did a little searchin and this is the info I could find on the RF900: 1/4 mile in [email protected], 0-60 in 2.7, wet weight 519, peak horsepower [email protected],000, torque [email protected],500. I would think it would be a tad on the heavy side but still pretty damn quick . Guaranteed it would be a hell of alot more comfortable than the new race replicas too. Very little chance you'll ever run into another one either considering the fact I think they were only made for two or three years. Of course another friend has a tricked out ZX11 (muzzy 1145 overbore kit and the whole nine yards) that he loves. And that wineberry color that came on those bikes is awesome. Everyone says how heavy and slow handling the ZX11 is but I'll tell you what he can toss that heavy bastard around and run with the best of em out in the twisties, lol . I don't think you could really go wrong with either, I would think a ZX11 would be easier to find with what you're willing to spend however. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

"When in doubt..gas it."
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info.

thanks for the info. It may be easier to get a zx 1100. They are every where and yes the red is a awsome color. Hell last year i almost bought a new one.2 years ago on color alone. The only problem with zx11`s is.... of the people in my crew that ride them. They all see to have some oiling problems. And 2 years ago at bike fest in myrtle beach. 2 of them sat at the hotel the whole time. My mechanice also says they have some gear problems. Non the less they are at the top pf my list. Mainly because of there speed. They may be old but they still can keep up and kick butt.

Another problem is most I have seen have really been riddin hard.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 09:11 PM

My friend's had a problem with one of the rod bearings I believe, anyway it ended up torching the motor. Probably the same oiling problem that you're talking about caused it. But when they're running they're wicked fast. Cool thing with the ZX11 is that you can go back to 1993 and it's still exactly the same as the newest ones, all E models if I remember right. I haven't had a chance to see my buddy's get fully opened up yet, but I have a feeling it's gonna be sic. lol. He put that 1145 overbore kit in it and went down a tooth on the front sprocket and up two on the rear (like it wasn't powerful enough already or something ). I have a sneaking suspicion it's gonna be a quarter mile monster. If he can keep it on the ground or keep from spinning the back wheel. Gonna lose alot of top speed but we hardly ever hit a straight stretch long enough to max out anyway. I think I'm as curious as he is to see how it's gonna run. lol Ohh yeah, and as for the ridden hard thing, around here anyway, it's usually older more mature riders that have the ZX11's. I'm sure once you start looking for one it shouldn't be too hard to find one that wasn't beat to hell.

"When in doubt..gas it."

Last edited by Doogie; 03-11-2002 at 09:14 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 10:30 PM
Dad

I have a '90 CBR-1000 that I have put 51,000 virtually trouble free miles on in three years. The bike has 52,000 total miles. I have also ridden the ZX-11 more than a little bit and will say that the CBR-1000 handles noticeably better when you push it. When it had about 35,000 miles it dynoed at 117, the same as the stock 900RR's the same night on the same dyno. I ride mostly twisties with a lot of different bikes and I can promise you there's not a one that will tell you it's slow. In fact, about all I hear on that subject is a disbelief at how well it handles for the weight that it has (608#) The ZX-11 has a little more on straight top speed runs, but for my kind of riding I don't find that nearly as important as the handling. Both are very comfortable for long rides. JMO. Good luck.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

reply to DAD

Thanks for the info about your CBR 1000. I didnt mean to offend you or anything. I was leaning towards the cbr 1000. There is one in my area for sale, a 94 with only 8K adult ridden miles. I just dindt know much about the performance of the bike. Some guys i know said its a SLED ( very slow). That is why i asked around about it.

I was sent performance test times for the bike. In 95 one did the 1/4 mile in 11.9 seconds. Well my cruiser( power cruiser) 1980 Yamaha XS1100 does it in 12.01 seconds. When i ride it with my crew. I keep up on the striaghts. Even if i am at the back of the pack with the smaller bikes.( older 600cc/750cc) I dont mind this . Because anyone who has ridden with a pack of 10-20 sport bikers knows. Its less hetic in the rear.( lol) Anyway as I
search for a affordable mid 90`s sport tourier the one thing it must be is faster then my cruiser. That is the reason I no longer have the 99 Katana 750. It wasnt faster nor more comfy then my cruiser.
Dad i would like to know how well you keep up with your sport riding freinds on the CBR in normal street traffic and on the freeway or short burts say up to like mabye 100 mph. That is where most of the daily street battle is done. Not at the upper reaches of the speedometer. (let the gsxr1300,zx12r`s have that.) for a few minutes per year.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 11:54 PM

The guy at my tyre dealer has a hot RF-900. Black, full Yoshi, Corbin, Pirelli Dragons plus plus.....

On track days laps Phillip Island in the one-fifties which is as quick as the tosspots on Blades, R1's etc. It's main limitation is ground clearance. That motor is basically detuned GSXR and has plenty of mumbo.

IMHO the CBR1000's most inexcusable problem for a tourer is its p*ss poor, 125-140ml, tank range. Two guys I know get similar range which is a pain in the *ss if you ride with them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode