Sportbike vs. Sport Tourer - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2002, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to jonjoeputman
Sportbike vs. Sport Tourer

Hi, I'm just getting into sportbikes or sport tourers after riding cruisers all my life. I really like the feel and nimble handling of the sportbikes but you compromise a lot in comfort, so I was wondering if any of the bikes I'm considering would be more comfortable without going to a sport tourer or are any of them comfortable like in daily commutes or just riding around. I'm looking at the Kawasaki ZX-6R, ZX-7R, Yamaha YZF-R6, and Suzuki Katana. Looks like the sport tourers would be really comfy but do they handle very well in the twisties or really haul when you're in the mood for speed? Any opinions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2002, 12:58 PM

Hey! I had a 2001 Katana 600 before I purchased my TL and let me tell you....the ergonomics are a world of difference! My Kat...although not as fast and light as a "true" sportbike was as fun as could be in the twisties! Both the 600 and 750 have the old GSXR engines in them so they aren't really all that slow! My wife thinks the Kat was alot more comfortable! Both bikes are very affordable as well! The only thing I can see is that you may get a little grief on SBW...I did, but I am sure that it was only because everyone loved me so much! Plus...I totally out grew my Katana in about 6 months! It was a dependable old steed though! Perfect entry or reentry level bikes! Good luck and happy riding! Lot of mods available!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2002, 04:49 PM

Out of the ones you mentioned, the 6R would be the best choice. It has much more humane ergonomics than the 7R, and is better than the R6 but you'd have to sit on 'em to check out the difference. I'm sure Katana's are nice, but just a bit frumpy lookin'!
You might also consider Honda CBRs (ergonomics similar to the Kawasaki), or the VFR. Givi makes a hard bag setup for the VFR in case you decide to stretch your sport-touring legs a bit. I've also seen a Givi bag setup on a Kawasaki ZX-6E, and it made a dandy little sport-tourer.
Going 2-up or solo? At might make a difference on your choices.
Might want to check out this post for lots of good 600cc info.
https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums...threadid=14069
You might particularly be interested in this article:
Two Unlikely Bedfellows
Inline-four vs. V-four Sport Touring (2001 VFR 800 vs. 2001 ZX-6R)
http://motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/t.../01vfr6r.motml

BTW, I do 'bout 3-day tours on my 6R (lookin' for good backroads), usually taking the Concours for longer trips. Not that I couldn't do it on the 6R, but I just hate to hang luggage off it! I'm good for 'bout 3 days of roughing it with just a $5 WalMart travel case stuck under the seat.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
'Course, if there's a hot tub at the end of a long day in the saddle, who am I to complain?
Concours Owners Group
AMA Life Member

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2002, 08:56 PM
UFO

Out of the ones you list, the best everyday, all around bike is probably the Katana (price, ergos, insurance, etc), followed by the 6R, the YZF-R6, then the ZX-7 dead, dead, far, waaaaaay back in last. Of course, your mileage and other opinions may vary.

BTW, the labelled sport-touring bikes will haul and do handle very well. For example: VFR 800, Aprilia Futura, Triumph Sprint ST, ZZR1200, etc. They aren't built for the track like the repli-racers, but one the street they handle almost as well and your ass is comfy while riding.

Webmaster -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UFO; 03-10-2002 at 09:01 PM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 03:37 AM

Yup....I almost forgot! The VFR is a pretty comfy bike as well! Guess it just depends on which way you want to go! Good luck and happy riding!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by UFO

BTW, the labelled sport-touring bikes will haul and do handle very well. For example: VFR 800, Aprilia Futura, Triumph Sprint ST, ZZR1200, etc. They aren't built for the track like the repli-racers, but one the street they handle almost as well and your ass is comfy while riding.
There is an individual that rides with us on a Sprint ST & he
stays ahead of several of the repli-racers that ride with us, &
he has full luggage & plent of comfort.

Suzuki GSXR 600cc track bike. Penske shock, Ohlins steering dampner, Lindemann forks, Sharkskinz body work, Full Yoshimura RS-3 Titainium / carbon fiber exaust system, Yosh digital tach with built in temp gauge, Yosh clip-ons, WRM rearsets to name a few. Motor was built and tuned by G-force racing engines.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to jonjoeputman
Hey, thanks for the info. Looks like the ZX-6R is my best bet. I was first considering bikes like the Yam R-1 and CBR 954RR but after talking to some people they sound more like suicide machines than a motorcycle at least to me. Plus the seats are like a brick. After reading articles and listening to other's comments, the 600 bikes can be very fast and fun yet comfortable enough that you can still feel your ass at the end of a longer ride. Especially the Kaw's. Insurance cheaper too. I have owned only Kawasaki's in the past and found them to be very reliable, another factor in buying a bike. I was looking at a Harley but they're a little out of my price range right now, expecially for something that's used just for pleasure and really has no real practical uses, at least that's my opinion.

Thanks
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 06:27 AM

I hope you looked at the FZ1........!!!

Suzuki GSXR 600cc track bike. Penske shock, Ohlins steering dampner, Lindemann forks, Sharkskinz body work, Full Yoshimura RS-3 Titainium / carbon fiber exaust system, Yosh digital tach with built in temp gauge, Yosh clip-ons, WRM rearsets to name a few. Motor was built and tuned by G-force racing engines.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 07:37 AM

Give the VFR a quick look before you buy. If you are considering real touring you might find it a good option. Good luck.

It turned out the kangaroo was right.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jonjoeputman
Looks like the ZX-6R is my best bet. After reading articles and listening to other's comments, the 600 bikes can be very fast and fun yet comfortable enough that you can still feel your ass at the end of a longer ride. Especially the Kaw's. Insurance cheaper too.Thanks
Excellent choice...who sez West Virginians don't have class?!
Ditto all that you said 'bout the 6R. I briefly considered an RC51 (seating a bit too extreme, and once the novelty of a twin wore off, I'm sure I'd find I'm an inline-4 person) and a Yamaha R6 (dealers wouldn't budge an inch off price). I was considering the R6/RC51 only because I already have a sport-tourer (Concours), but I like the virtues of the 6R anyway (comfort/midrange torque/flexibility). Despite the fact that motomags like to rag on it being 'outdated', obviously someone forgot to inform the reigning AMA and World 600cc champions! Damn...betcha those YamahHondaZuki folks just hate it when that happens! Sure they had good riders, but obviously they're not as 'outdated' as print folks make 'em out to be.
Maybe haff to hook up with you next trip to WV when you get your new bike! Yakkin' with a couple of guys in here from PA that ride WV, but they hang around the northern part. I've only visited the southeastern end, but it's gonna be one of my first 3-day trips this year (Snowshoe/NRAO/Cass Railroad, etc). Enjoyed the area so much last Thanksgiving I decided I'm gonna haff to go back!

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
'Course, if there's a hot tub at the end of a long day in the saddle, who am I to complain?
Concours Owners Group
AMA Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode