How far is too far to ride.....? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2002, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

How far is too far to ride.....?

Hey guys and gals! We've got a local track day coming up in about a month. The location is Putnam and our local Suzuki dealer is sponsering the event. Most of my buds are riding on the track and trailering their bikes to the track. I am trying to talk some of the guys who aren't going to be able to get on the track, for various reasons, to do a group ride up to the track just as a fun thing to do. I've heard comments like "4 hours is too far to ride" and "geez that is a long way on a sportbike". My question to those of you reading this post...."How far is too far to ride your sportbike?" Given nice sunny weather and relatively warm temps.........I think it sounds like fun......what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2002, 11:26 AM

I agree with you. I think it would depend alot on the type of rider and the type of bike they're on. If they just are'nt into long distances, they wont have fun and if they ride a 'stupidly' uncomfortable bike (like a Ducati) then its not going to be fun either.

But the short answer to your question is:

'If the bike breaks and leaves you stranded... you rode it too far'

P.S. Im gonna move this to Sport Touring...
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2002, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Cool! Yeah...I guess pushing would totally suck! Oh yeah...I guess I also need to learn how to post my threads under the right forum topic! Oopps!

So.......Matt.....how far is too far?

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-10-2002, 09:51 PM
UFO

As soon as you are in agony you know it's "too far."

Seriously, it depends on the rider and their threshold. I've ridden my Busa for 9 hours straight with only a few rests (gas and lunch) and felt fine the next day. 4 hours should be a cake walk tho for most bikes and riders.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 06:00 AM

I wouldn't think 4 hours would be too much. The most I've done is 10 hours (600 miles) in one day, and that was on an F3. Granted I could barely squeeze the clutch in the end, and I didn't feel like riding for a week after it, but it was a nice day and we had a blast.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Matt......are you reading this?............. ......that was so unlike me! OOpps! Happy riding.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 11:31 AM

Re: How far is too far to ride.....?

Quote:
Originally posted by endleswavz
Hey guys and gals! We've got a local track day coming up in about a month. The location is Putnam and our local Suzuki dealer is sponsering the event. Most of my buds are riding on the track and trailering their bikes to the track. I am trying to talk some of the guys who aren't going to be able to get on the track, for various reasons, to do a group ride up to the track just as a fun thing to do. I've heard comments like "4 hours is too far to ride" and "geez that is a long way on a sportbike". My question to those of you reading this post...."How far is too far to ride your sportbike?" Given nice sunny weather and relatively warm temps.........I think it sounds like fun......what do you think?
To me, nothing's too far. I gotta allow at least 1.5-2 hrs of riding just to get to and from the spot that I consider the START of my ride. It helps to have a comfortable bike, though. I've never ridden anything like a RC51 or Ducati which would have more "prison" style riding positions. Is that 4 hours each way or round trip? You may want to plan a couple of rest stops.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 11:38 AM

I think part of it depends on what you are riding on. I am not sure I would want to drone away for 4 hours on highway. Boring!

But if you can work a back road route or it is not all Route 666 to nowhere then go for it!
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Think you're becoming more and more out numbered Matt!
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 03:29 PM

I bought my bike in Chicago and had it back in Dallas 2 days later after finding out just how awesome NW Arkansas really is (traderonline rocks). So, too far to me may be a little on the long side for most folks. I think however the route is the most crucial factor. If it's interstate, take the car and listen to tunes and talk about bikes on the way there. I just don't need to wear my expensive tires square on the interstate. Now, if there's some twisties or at least some scenery, 4 hours ain't too bad if you have time and good weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode