The Big Ride....Opinions? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to minfinger
The Big Ride....Opinions?

Here's what I want to do this Summer or this Fall. I've got the $$$ so it doesn't matter about the time or the expense.

I want to take a month off from work. Leave Charleston, SC, ride up to the GAP. Then Ride the Blue Ridge all the way up. THen from there cut across the upper US, possibly ride through Sturgis just for the fun of it. Ride through the black Hills and down through the rockies towards Las Vegas. Spend 1 or 2 weeks in Vegas gamlbing my life away. Everything except the bike, "Come on Daddy Needs GAS MONEY!

Then I want to ride through Texas, possibly Houston/Dallas. Hit the Gulf of Mexico and Puddle Jump to FL. For real, ride the Gulf of Mexico all the way through New Orleans and down through FL to Key West. Come back up 95 through Ft. Lauderdale. I lvoe St. Augustine, so I really want to ride through there. Take HWY 1 all the way to Savanah and then Come back home throguh Beaufort, SC and up HWY 17.

Do you guys think I can do that in a month? I figure I'm 10 days to Vegas and at least 10 days back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 05:38 AM

Thumbs up

WOW! Sounds like a great trip, but are you planning on using the FZ1? You gonna have Flat butt come Vegas!

And yes, if all works out well, I think a month should be good.

"It's like Dancing sitting down. Squeeze-tap-release-twist. Left hand-right foot-left hand-right hand"
~James Patterson

Kyle J.-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Yeah the FZ1.

Flat but, sore back, blah blah I'll have it all LMAO

I was thinking about ordering a Corbin Seat for my bike, but I'm not sure $350 is a good deal. I'm wondering if they are really worth the money. I've seen some of those Foam pads you put under the leather and it's supposed to help the seat. But I'm not exactly sure what to get. Any suggestions?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 07:00 PM

Just yesterday I saw a seat at the shop that had just been delivered that somebody ordered for their Gixxer 1000. It looked just like stock, but with a fabric area in the butt part (similar to the fabric on the outside of a dive suit) Anyway, it was a Jell seat! It looked really good and seemed like it would feel damn good too! My wife has one of those same Jell seats on her mountain bike and it is really nice on the rear ~~ But I cant put one on my Mbike cuz its just not manly!

"It's like Dancing sitting down. Squeeze-tap-release-twist. Left hand-right foot-left hand-right hand"
~James Patterson

Kyle J.-
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 07:01 PM

OH ya,...

Sorry I dont know the name brand or how to get one or price
If you Realllllly want to know and cant find it, I'll research.

~James Patterson

Kyle J.-
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

I found www.gelseat.com But I don't think that's what we're looking for. Those guys mainly make for cruisers.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 01:13 PM
Old Guy

Talking

I think you can do it in a month. I planned on a 3 week round the Rockies (the entire continental divide, along the Mexico/US border, up the Pacific coast, along the Canada/US border (thus completing the circle). I figured 3 weeks. All this on a '99 gsxr750 with camping gear. It worked just fine.
Due to gross misunderstanding of the reason for the trip, my wife made me cut it short, but the Yellowstone to Grand Canyon leg was great.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

I just got done mapping everything out using mapquest's Road Tripper Planner.

8300 to 8500 Miles
165 to 170 Hours LMAO
At 8 hours a day, we're talking 22 Days.
I think I could do it in a Month.

Ooh I'm getting excited

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by minfinger
I was thinking about ordering a Corbin Seat for my bike, but I'm not sure $350 is a good deal. I'm wondering if they are really worth the money. I've seen some of those Foam pads you put under the leather and it's supposed to help the seat. But I'm not exactly sure what to get. Any suggestions?
FWIW, Corbin saddles have gotten less comfortable over time (I've owned one from around '94, and sat in basically new ones, and the earlier one was SOOO much better) and all the recent feedback I've heard is that customer service has basically gone through the floor, especially if you need to modify a seat that they have built for you.

On the other hand I have heard nothing but terrific things about Sargent, who will make a seat just how you want it, rush it to you, and then tear it apart and try again if it isn't just right...

hope that helps.

keepin' it rubber side down...
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-11-2002, 03:24 AM

For what its worth, part two.....

Quote:
Originally posted by minfinger
Yeah the FZ1.

Flat but, sore back, blah blah I'll have it all LMAO

For what its worth, I have had Corbin seats on two of my bikes
& found them to be a GREAT improvement over stock comfort.

As a matter of fact, I just purchased one for my 9R
from......Yes, Pete...you guessed it.....EBAY...LOL.
(honest I can stop any time I want to)
But, it has not come in yet...should be any day though.

Have no experience with Sargent, but never had any trouble wit
Corbin service myself.

P.S...let us know when you take off & get through Houston
area....maybe get together, although i know you wont
be spending much time in any one place....

Suzuki GSXR 600cc track bike. Penske shock, Ohlins steering dampner, Lindemann forks, Sharkskinz body work, Full Yoshimura RS-3 Titainium / carbon fiber exaust system, Yosh digital tach with built in temp gauge, Yosh clip-ons, WRM rearsets to name a few. Motor was built and tuned by G-force racing engines.

Last edited by Cam McFarland; 02-11-2002 at 03:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode