VFR800 first ride impressions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
UFO

VFR800 first ride impressions

By MCN

Sounds promising.

Webmaster -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 02:41 AM

Location: Mission Viejo, California, USA, Earth; no better place to be.
Well, I'm beginning to get used to its looks. It's definitely distinctive.

The one main thing I don't like about the VFR, not just this VFR but all the other VFR's is its price. Honda has always packed the Interceptor with lots of technology, which isn't cheap and easy to mass produce. And the price always reflects that. Probably why the VFR doesn't sell well in the US, where bikes are treated more like toys rather than daily, practical machines. Thus, buyers are more easily swayed to get a "bigger" faster bike, or a smaller, swoopier, faster race replica. $9,499 buys a lot of fast sportbike. I wonder how much this new VFR will sell for?

Rogue
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 03:36 AM

Rogue_Biker wrote

The one main thing I don't like about the VFR, not just this VFR but all the other VFR's is its price.

I agree except that they are worth it if you intend to keep one for a long time. I have had one part fail in 80,000 miles on mine. It always starts first try and runs perfectly. Hell, it doesn't even use any oil. You pay for alot of the neat features as well as durability in the VFR. Such as the V-4 motor, single sided swing arm, instrumentation, center stand and others I have forgotten.

There may be less expensive bikes but few are a better value if you plan on riding 100,000 on a bike.

Rick
NCVFR

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NCVFR
There may be less expensive bikes but few are a better value if you plan on riding 100,000 on a bike.
IMO this is the distinction of a VFR. It is not built as a disposable sportbike or marketed to those inclined to buy the fastest (for a season) thing off the line. It is built to gobble up miles in a "sport touring" sense. It has better wind protection, linked brakes, softer suspension, etc. than its sportier counterparts. I feel that I will get more value per mile because I will keep it for a long time.

It turned out the kangaroo was right.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
UFO

BTW, a new version of the article is up, weighing in at 14 pages with a cool video.

VFR article at MCN

Webmaster -
|
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 07:10 AM

Price

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue_Biker
I wonder how much this new VFR will sell for?
As I've said before, I failed maths so someone can convert 7995 into $$. Not sure if that price includes delivery, plates etc. but it'll give a rough idea.

Better Smeg than dead
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 07:27 AM

Re: Price

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeghead

As I've said before, I failed maths so someone can convert 7995 into $$. Not sure if that price includes delivery, plates etc. but it'll give a rough idea.
7,995 GBP x US$1.4477 = US$11,593

Yikes!!

Rogue
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 07:58 AM

Re: Re: Price

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue_Biker

7,995 GBP x US$1.4477 = US$11,593

Yikes!!
I take it that it's a bit on the expensive side, Rouge ?
If it makes you feel any better, the price is practically the same as a current 800 is here.

Of course this means that we pay FAR TOO BLOODY MUCH for our bikes here !
So how much is a 800 in the U.S. today ?

Better Smeg than dead
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
UFO

Hehe, a good place to find bike prices is Honda's U.S. website. Ever been there?

MSRP = $9,999
MSRP = $10,999 for the ABS version

Webmaster -
|
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 02:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: Price

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeghead

I take it that it's a bit on the expensive side, Rouge ?
If it makes you feel any better, the price is practically the same as a current 800 is here.

Of course this means that we pay FAR TOO BLOODY MUCH for our bikes here !
So how much is a 800 in the U.S. today ?
Yes. The price you qouted for me is a bit high.

VFR's in the US as UFO said cost around US$9,999. And their numbers are limited so dealers sell every one of them and won't usually haggle the price down.

What makes it difficult to justify the price of a VFR is that the CBR1100XX is US$10,500, and the CBR929RR(the 'Blade) is "only" $9,500. Thus, most people will either go for the bigger bike that's faster, or the more agile, sportier bike that's also faster. I'm not saying VFR's are not worth their price. I'm saying, compared to other types of bikes, and brand of bikes, it's a bit overpriced. Just don't tell that to owners of VFR's 'cause they all love 'em. I myself have lusted after one for a very long time but can't seem to convince myself that the price, past and current, is well justified.

Rogue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode