N.E. and Northeast Riders - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2001, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

N.E. and Northeast Riders

A couple of us are thinking of putting a ride together in the Spring, thru central and upstate NY or western MA and Vermont. Any route suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and if you're interested in joining us let me know, and I'll start getting organized (it takes me a while). Thanks.

It turned out the kangaroo was right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 03:47 AM

I just returned from a week long tour of the NE. My favorite roads were NY route 86 East of Lake Placide, and Vermont 125 through Ripton. Vermont 100 is nice south of Mayfield, the Ben and Jerry's factory area, down to 125. I also liked Vermont 15 across the mountain around Stowe.

Vermont 2 is interesting through the islands in Lake Champlin as well. Lots of smooth flat curves, not very challenging but still nice. The Adorondiks (sic) are great if you like to ride fast. NY 28 has miles of very high speed 2 lane sweepers. Even the cars were traveling 70 mph plus. I traveled 22 miles from Long Lake to Tapper Lake in under 15 minutes with little effort.

Rick
NCVFR
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 04:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to phalanx
Rt. 2! Rt. 2! Rt. 2! Bonk knows the stretch i'm talking about. Also, 8A runs through Rt. 2 and heads into Vermont where it eventually meets up with Rt. 100. From there, the sky is the limit. I think it would be well worth the long ride for most people to go check out the Kangamagus highway in NH. We would have to hit it early because the man is strict about speed limits in that area.

I prefer to step lightly and carry a BIG stick...

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 05:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to slaintedan
Re: N.E. and Northeast Riders

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonk!
A couple of us are thinking of putting a ride together .......
Hey Bonk,
Anybody I know??? LOL

I spoke to Robert and he said that when the time comes he will help us send out a mass-Email to all the SBW members who are registered in NY, NJ, CT, MA, VT, NH, etc... If that doesn't work then I don't know what will.

I think it would be easiest if I established the beginning point of the ride in NY (probably in Rockland or Westchester County) and you established the final meeting place in MA, since you obviously know MA far better than I do.

I would hope that we would have a route and rendezvous points set up by January so that we can start making hotel/motel reservations.

Should be a fun ride!!!!!!!!!

Me for Emperor of America!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

That sounds good. It might turn out that mid-state New York has better runs than MA. We don't have that many long stretches and most are patrolled. There is a consensus that Rt. 2 is a must if we do ride this far north - it is a very fun stretch. Maybe anyone interested from the northern environs can go thru western MA and meet you in Saratoga or something. However, we obviously have lots of time so right now I am just cruising the internet looking for routes that people have recommended. We had light snow flurries today so thoughts are starting to turn towards the slopes!

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 06:31 AM

Sounds like a plan. Even if we only go as far as Syracuse (or that area) it will still be a fun ride. Besides, Syracuse has lots of good-looking girls!

Where exactly is Route 2?...I've heard so much about it!

ps - come to think of it...Syracuse may be a more desirable destination for the riders coming from Long Island and New Jersey. Hmmmmmm......

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 07:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to phalanx
Here is a link to Mapquest so you can get an idea of the area.

Here is Rt 2 for anyone that doesnt know.

The gray arrow is the center of Charlemont MA. That is the beginning of the good section of Rt.2

The Yellow Arrow is Whitcomb summit where the best part of Rt. 2 comes to an end. A little further up the road is a hairpin turn. It has always been greasy, but the approach and exit are a blast!

The white arrow points to the fun section of Rt. 2 which just happend to be paved this summer.

If you look to the right of the yellow arrow, you will see a road that runs down toward the river. This is an extremely steep and scenic road which is fun to ride down, turn around, and come back up.

The blue arrow points to a road that follows the river which can be reached by starting at the gray arrow, or by the steep road that I just mentioned. It passes by a number of hydroelectric plants, a decomissioned nuclear power plant, and the Hoosic Tunnel. The road eventually joins up with Rt. 100 in Vermont.

Although the picture doesn't show it, Rt. 2 runs between, over, and through the mountains in the area, so its a sight that must be seen. I like the route so much that my daily rides over the summer always start with this section.

I prefer to step lightly and carry a BIG stick...

Last edited by phalanx; 10-08-2001 at 07:43 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan

Where exactly is Route 2?...I've heard so much about it!
Any other questions please direct them to my assistant Phalanx. Apparently he has access to a satelite.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonk!

Any other questions please direct them to my assistant Phalanx. Apparently he has access to a satelite.

LOL!

Lets just hope that he doesn't have the Golden Eye!

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

To answer your question, the section of Rt 2 people refer to picks up in North Adams and stretches to Greenfield. It is probably a 25 mile trip, and in the middle is a terrific 15 mile piece cut into the mountains. Not worth a trip on its own (since it is relatively short) but if you're in the neighborhood it is worth checking out. One nice part is that there are actual passing zones so you can do so safely if you're so inclined.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode