Anybody else bored riding by themselves? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Anybody else bored riding by themselves?

I bought a new YZF600R last month and have been riding to work everyday by myself. MAN, I'M BORED! Anybody else out there need to get up early one weekend and take a nice "scenic" ride?
I live in the Inland Empire area of California and don't know one soul who rides. I've been riding street and dirtbikes since I was 6, so I like to ride SAFE and have fun through the twisties. No stupid shit! Anyways, e-mail me & let me know. Late
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2001, 12:55 PM

Buddies are better

I agree that riding alone can get boring. I much prefer riding with a couple of other bikes than being alone. You sound like me with regards to riding style, but unfortunately I'm way out here in GA. Good luck finding some riding buddies.

No thanks - I have my wife and 4 kids to get home to.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 04:06 AM

Location: Mission Viejo, California, USA, Earth; no better place to be.
Hey! I used to have an 1986 VF500 Interceptor too. Bought it new in 1987.

I have a regular crew that rides out to Palomar Mountain in South Orange County/North San Diego County. We also started venturing out to Angeles Crest Highway every once in a while. I regularly ride Ortega Highway in South O.C. on almost any given weekend.

Rancho C. isn't exactly close but maybe we can hook up on an Angeles Crest ride next month? If you're interested, email me and we can make arrangements. I'm a pretty responsible rider and don't do crazy shit....well, only if I'm provoked!

Rogue

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 05:32 AM

No, I don't!!

That's just because I love it so much.
But if you want to come over toward the coast, I'd ride The Crest, Big Tujunga or something along those lines.

Rogue, Let me know when you're going to be up this way!

E~

If they're psychic, why didn't they know you were coming?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 05:47 AM

You got it!

Rogue
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 04:24 AM
UFO

I prefer to ride alone for various reasons:

1) Attracts less cops.
2) I stop when I want to stop (often ride 2-3 hours without stopping...need gas), not when some 'tard feels the need to stop for a smoke, dip, drink, piss, etc every 10 miles. Hate that shit.
3) When I go sport touring, I go RIDING. If I wanted to hang out with a bunch of guys and talk about bikes I'd go to a shop.
4) I ride at the pace I want (slow, medium, fast, supersonic), when I want, anytime I want. No need to worry about slow people keeping up or keeping fast slowed.
5) I take the routes I want, when I want, with no discussion.
6) Get tired of people asking me what I'm listening to on my MP3 player.
7) Peaceful bliss to get away from everyone.

But this is just me. Some people dig big group "rides" where you spend more time stopped and talking than actually riding. Not me.

Webmaster -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2001, 03:50 AM

I agree with UFO 100% - no B.S. when you do your own thing...
All except the player.... I just listen to the bike singing
BladeRunr
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2001, 04:31 AM

Lone rider

I had a sabaticle in '97 untill last year as I had got bored riding by myself (my mates had got "mature" and packed in riding).
But I couldn't resist the desire to own a bike and relised that I'm better off with a bike and alone than not having one at all.
I do have my best mate who lives in England to go on touring holidays with so it's not so bad.
At home as UFO says, I can do as I want.

Better Smeg than dead
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 05:21 AM

Like UFO & Smeg, I do enjoy riding by myself too.

In fact, on both my long trips on my Busa, there were many times I wanted to just break away from the group and ride on my own for the same reasons UFO pointed out.

It's true that when you're alone, you ride more. When you're in a group, you spend way too much time bullshitting at the rest stops so you loose time. During my trip, I missed taking certain roads I wanted to take because we ran out of time hanging around talking and sightseeing and NOT riding.

I also hated having to wait much longer when it came time to pass. Granted, having a Busa opened up more opportunities for me to pass than someone on an R1 for example. Being in a group meant that I had to wait much longer for the "right" moment so that everyone in the group got to pass too.

Oh and yes. The whining of some members of the group. I didn't get this too much but it was there occassionally. I remember having to struggle to find a place to eat lunch because the group couldn't make a definite decision.

Finally, being forced to stop 'cause someone was too tried to keep going. On the way home, I was "coerced" into laying around by the beach for 2 hours 'cause one of the members in my group was too tired. Granted, it was a beautiful beach and there were plenty of babes to gawk at. It also meant I could have been home earlier and perhaps avoided the nasty-ass traffic in L.A. if I had kept on riding.

Riding in a group though was fun. Lunches and dinners are fun 'cause you have someone to talk to. The safety factor increases dramatically. Being in a group means nobody messes with you. And if one were to crash, there's always someone to help. I guess there's plenty of advantages and disadvantages. But if I were to take a very long trip, I think I'd rather be alone.

Rogue
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 05:48 AM
UFO

Don't get me wrong, I like riding with people but I prefer small groups (3-4) of people I know very well. I think when you get into huge group rides it ceases to be a "ride" and becomes more of a social event. Mucho time wasted at stops trying to figure out what's going on.

You also don't have to deal with crazies. I went on a group ride a few years ago (maybe 8 of us)...and my friend knew some of them, and I didn't know any of them. I swear they rode a WOT the entire time, double line passing, passing on hills, curves, nearly slamming into one another trying to be the first to pass cars. I mean...when are you supposed to actually enjoy the ride if you're at WOT with your eyes the size of golfballs popping out of your head? My friend and I peeled off and took some backroads at a fast, but leisurely clip...and as always, this was way more enjoyable than almost dieing riding with some psychos.

Wonder if any of them are still alive?

Webmaster -
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode