Sportbike World banner

Has anybody ever used a Tail Trunk?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  R1_RocketJockey 
#1 ·
I need to take my CBR600F2 on a weekend trip and need something to carry a change of clothes, etc. I have basically decided on a Chase Harper 4000 Tail Trunk to mount behind me. Has anybody had any experience with either this type of luggage or this brand? My real concern is that this may be too small, but it is really the only one I have found that I like AND would fit unobtrusively on the bike. I have never used a tankbag, but I really don't want anything in front of me or on my back and this seemed like the nest solution.

#2 ·
re: tail/trunk bags

I used an eclipse brand tail bag when i went to the honda hoot and deals gap this summer. was able to carry enough clothes for 4 days...jeans/t-shirts/shorts. first time i had ever used one..after a while I forgot it was there. I also use a tourmaster tankbag most of the time. After getting the tankbag and using it for awhile, I don't know how I ever did without one...best travel accessory I have ever had. I also have eclipse P-38 side bags, but i hardly ever use them anymore. between the rear and tank bags, i don't need anymore capacity. I ride a ZRX1100, an average day of riding for me is 300-400 miles of backroads. have done 500plus a time or two when traveling...never have had a problem with losing any luggage. hope this helps.

patrick

#3 ·
I had an Eclipse expandable tail trunk (I forget the model #, but they call it the Rumbleback Seatpack). The bungee cords hooked on nicely to the Frankenstein bungee bolts on my Bandit. I did however lose the bag one day :rolleyes: as I think I forgot to hook the bungee cords to the bike - I sat it on the rear seat, put my helmet and gloves on, started the bike, then got on and rode off. 45 minutes later, I get off and no bag. I ride all the way home thinking it fell of somewhere in the parking lot, but I never found it. Only lost the bag, a disk lock, an extra helmet visor, and the liner to my JR Atomic jacket. Anyway, I now have a Joe Rocket tail pack, which is a little bigger, comes with a more convenient handle on top, and includes a shoulder strap that clips on when you need it. I like it alot. Unless I'm travelling two-up, I'd prefer a tailpack to a tankbag (ACK! scratches!). For all-day (12 to 16 hour) rides on the interstate, though, I think I'd prefer a huge tankbag that I can rest on occaisionally. Although if I'm travelling that far, I'll probably have the tailpack, too, along with the saddlebags. Anyway, as long as it is big enough for what you want to carry, the Chase Harper, Eclipse or Joe Rocket tailpacks are all great choices. There are also some others that probably shouldn't be overlooked (TourMaster, Wolfman???, RKA).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.