2002 Fz1 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to minfinger
2002 Fz1

Has anyone else besides me looked at these bikes? I'm seriously thinking about getting one and I want to know what the rest of the Sport Touring Community thinks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 08:10 AM

I have not ridden one yet but have looked at them. The general consensus seems to be they need lower bars, available as an option, and a better seat to be a good sport tourer. The wind protection could be better as well. See the Motorcyclist article a couple of months ago.

Most of the people I know who have bought one love the performance but want more comfort. The suspension is susposed to be very good as delivered. I don't think you can go wrong with one.

Rick
NCVFR
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 08:18 AM
Dad

I have a riding buddy who sold his R-1 and bought one. He loves it and is no longer reluctant to go on 350+ mile day rides.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 03:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to B12Power Send a message via Yahoo to B12Power
Find a dealer with one on the showroom floor. I talked to a guy that had his heart set on one - until he sat on it. (He sat on the bike, not his heart...) Anyway, he said the ergos were all wrong for him. Don't overlook the ZRX1200 and the Bandit1200S - both are cheaper, more comfortable, and the Bandit has a much better fairing. As far as performance, its a matter of taste - I don't like to have to keep the rpms above 7,000 to make alot of power, like with the FZ-1. If you're used to racebikes, the FZ-1's engine will probably feel very familiar. If you're looking for comfort, "try before you buy".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/

Jeff G., Philadelphia, PA
"The world you live in is just a sugar-coated topping...
Beneath it lies another world...the real world.
And if you want to survive it, you learn to pull the trigger!"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 03:58 PM

You might want and see if Yamaha comes out with the R1 based Sport Tourer. Full fairings, shaft drive, luggage. I can't think of what it is called, but it is for sale in Europe only (for now). I say this because you said you wanted a "sport-touring" bike and I understand that the FZ1 is a "naked" bike.

Once you try track, you never go back.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

B12...My R6 does hit the power band until around 8K either. I'm used to it. AS far as sitting on one, I've sat on several 2001s. They're the exact smae bike, all they did this year was a little engine work (I think) and added a new Color, Silver.

Desmo..."Naked" well...I know you're in CA, but that's the term I know Sport Touring bikes as that don't have fairings. I may be mistaken, but there's not a "Naked" "Sport Bike". They don't call BMW bikes "Naked"? You wouldn't see, normally, an R6 missing it's fairings or a TL butt naked The YZF600 I believe is considered sport touring. Same 600 Motor, just a "softer" seat and higher clamp ons. I'm blanking, I think that's the name for handle bars lol It's 4 AM cut me some slack

Dad...I'm not reluctant to do 600 Miles in one day on my R6. My is problem is, I'm reluctant to get off of my bike.

NCVFR...They have a lower Bar option.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/access/0...ontrols01.html
They also have a Seat option too, but I'm in contact with Corbin. I think I'm going to have one done up to match the paint on the bike. I'm not sure yet.

Generally I think what we are all dealing with hear is a wide variety of opinions in the Sport Touring Community. Everyone agrees on more comfort, but everyone has different ideas of how to achieve this. All those different ideas is what the Manu. bases their comfort levels on. And considering the wide range of Sport Touring bikes available and Manu., you get a wide variety of design elements across the board. Thus, there's never going to be a perfect bike for anyone. Minus the Gold Wing, my personal favorite, slightly out of my price range though.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 04:00 AM
UFO

I had a deposit on an '01 until I read numerous negative things about the wind protection (or lack thereof). And since this thread is in the Sport Touring forum, that's a pretty important factor. If all I did was commute, ride around town, and take occasional short highway trips...it would probably be an excellent choice. But for legitimate long range sport touring I think the wind will wear you down.

Webmaster -
|
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

I figured it had crappy wind protection since the Upper Fairing is modeled after the R1. So I just eliminated that factor all together. I mean my R6 has limited to no wind protection and I hadnel 1500 Miles just fine

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 06:32 PM

Nobody here seems to complain about the fairing on the fazer. Ultimately it is a compromize for this type of bike. The BIG moan here is the price. Yamaha made a big blunder when it was released at 8099. The main dealer in Belfast had orders for 12 bikes before the price was announced, that was cut to 3 after !
Hence they have a load of un-sold stock, and the discount guys are now punting them out at 6999.
How much do they cost in the U.S. ? I was pretty keen to buy 1 but I felt Yamaha were sticking the arm in because the press had raved so much about them before general release.

Better Smeg than dead
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 10:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to B12Power Send a message via Yahoo to B12Power
I've seen them for $8500-$8900 US. As far as wind protection, remember: the FZ-1 (along with the Kawi ZRX and Suz Bandit) are considered "standards", not sport-tourers. Which is why the Fizzer got great reviews in this category. What it is, is a comfy (relatively) long-distance sportbike. It's meant for those who want an R6/7/1 but want some kind of compromise between ergos and performance.

As a sport-tourer, I think my Bandit1200S beats both the FizZer and the Z-ReX, with the most wind/weather protection, comfy ergos, and low-end grunt. If Suzuki would make and sell it with hard saddlebags (maybe color-matched) it might be thrust into the sport-touring category where it belongs.

All three bikes are very close in performance, comfort and quality. Like purchasing any bike, it all comes down to personal preference, and how you're going to ride it. Anyone who buys on looks alone, or justifies their purchase with mag reviews touting "newest, baddest bike ever", ...is a poser, not a motorcyclist.

/
/
/

Jeff G., Philadelphia, PA
"The world you live in is just a sugar-coated topping...
Beneath it lies another world...the real world.
And if you want to survive it, you learn to pull the trigger!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode