What Tire For VFR??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

What Tire For VFR???

help.... What tires should I get. I Have a 2001 Honda VFR. I'm looking for a tire that sticks well and will get high miles..... I use my bike for work & back in the city and I hit the twisties on the weekend! I live in Vegas so temp. gets as COLD as 30's and HOT as 120's. Any info would be great!!! Thanks

ROCK ON.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 09:21 PM
HUS

Send a message via AIM to HUS Send a message via Yahoo to HUS
Thumbs up

Dunlop D205's

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 05:40 AM

Thumbs up Tyres

I'm more than pleased with Bridgestone's BT020's on my VFR and so far have clocked up 7K with more to go

Better Smeg than dead

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 07:16 AM

Mine came with the 205s. They're alright, but the front is feathering :angry:

Im going to put on the 020s next

"It's like Dancing sitting down. Squeeze-tap-release-twist. Left hand-right foot-left hand-right hand"
~James Patterson

Kyle J.-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 07:39 AM

I have been running D205's with mixed results. Mileage varies from 5-7,000 on a rear and 7-12000 on a front. Agressive riding really hurts the tire life. When I used the bike for commuting I frequently got around 7,000 miles on a rear. My last tire was into the wear markers everywhere at 5,000 miles and bald by 5500. The D205's do stick reasonable well and slide nicely.

The best bet may be the Metzler MEZ4 but the cost is high. D205's can be found for under $110 mail order rear and under $90 front. MEZ4's run about $20 more.

I have not run the Bridgestones but have heard mixed reviews. Mostly good except for people who ride very hard.

Good Luck,
Rick
NCVFR
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 09:52 AM

I have not run the Bridgestones but have heard mixed reviews. Mostly good except for people who ride very hard.

I've no complaints regarding hard riding with the 020's but you could always try the 010's. Friend of mine has them on his VFR & he is very happy with them & the wear rate as well. Ultimately it's a case of cost/grip/wear. The 020 is aimed at the sport-touring end of things & the 010 is for the faster guys on out & out sportsbikes. Other possibilities are Michelin Pilot Sports & Metz. MEZ3. MCN did a comprehensive test on tyres for the VFR800 & recommended the 010's as the top choice.

Better Smeg than dead
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 11:30 AM
Pete

Smeg, look at the bottom of each post; there's a little radio button that says "quote." Left click on it; it's magic!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
Smeg, look at the bottom of each post; there's a little radio button that says "quote." Left click on it; it's magic!
Oh, THAT little button !

Better Smeg than dead
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 03:08 PM

Go for the Macadam 100's. Excellant, excellant tire. I ride my RC51 so much as a commuter and weekender that I am considering them when my 207's wear out.

I had the Macadam's on my CBR900RR and they were fantastic. YEs, they are not a super hardcore performance tire but they are very high performance with a highspeed rating too. And they come in a great variety of sizes. Oh yeah... they last a long time too. I think a 180 would fit perfect on your VFR. That was what I ran on my CBR. Dont let anyone tell you that they dont have stick either. Well, I dont think anyone will tell you that. They are great for the street.

Ciao!

Miguel / San Francisco
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 05:15 PM

If you look in July - September's issue of Motorcyclist, browse for the Chaparral-Racing ad. They're offering some great prices for the 207 package deal and an even better deal for the Brigestones 010's and 020's. At these prices, I stink I'm gonna go against the grain and try the 020's. I went to the local Moto tire stores to check 'em out, they look pretty promising! ...gonna go for it! Usually, ya get a discount on mounting and balancing for buying tires from the local dealer (they charge extra for mounting and balancing if ya don't buy from them) but those prices make up for it!

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/chaparral/dept.asp?

if you're looking for something other than that the best prices to include the balance after shipping i think is here:

http://www.discountmotorcycletire.com/

Last edited by HurricaneXX; 07-30-2001 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode