Sport Touring on a Ducati 748. WHAT!? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
HUS

Send a message via AIM to HUS Send a message via Yahoo to HUS
Thumbs up Sport Touring on a Ducati 748. WHAT!?

Yeah, that's right. I've done 7,109 miles on my 748 since March 23rd of this year. I've covered every Southeastern state except for Kentucky. I've done as much as 550 miles in one day. My buddies say I should apply for an Iron Butt Association membership. I just might do that.

Sorry, I had to brag a little. I know some guys do like 20,000 miles in a month or two but not on a 748. Just showing off a little here

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 02:30 PM

what did your spine and butt ever do to you? that's just plain mean. or mabye you like to ride as much as i do. i say head west now my wayward son. see you on US 191
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
HUS

Thumbs up ok

I just might do that

- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 07:45 AM

Re: Sport Touring on a Ducati 748. WHAT!?

Quote:
Originally posted by HUS
Yeah, that's right. I've done 7,109 miles on my 748 since March 23rd of this year. I've covered every Southeastern state except for Kentucky. I've done as much as 550 miles in one day. My buddies say I should apply for an Iron Butt Association membership. I just might do that.
I think the "initiation" for the coveted Iron Butt license plate holder is to do 1,500 miles in 24 hours.

I know of one rider who did it on a Hayabusa. Whew! I know that's not easy. Try doing 1,500 miles in say.....a car. That's not too easy either. On a 748? I wonder if anyone's actually done it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 08:27 AM

Red face

You are insane Hus but I must give you a bow!

I rode a friends 748 for ....oh about 1/2 hour and had to see the chiropractor for it!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
HUS

Thumbs up yeah..

Yeah, I know I'm insane but I just love riding the dang thing. I though I had done a lot of miles when I had my TL1000R because I put like 9,000 miles on it in one year but that's not even a comparison to what I've done so far on the Duc.

And I talked to a few Iron Butt members that have done the 10,000 miles in 10 days thing, and they told me that since I had documented all of my trips and the miles and I've taken pictures that my final test was to do 1,000 miles in 24 hours to get in. I figure I can ride from here to TWO in Suches, GA and back...that should be just over 1,000 miles. Or I can take the Natchez Trace Parkway from here to Nashville, TN and that should be right at 1,000 miles to. We'll see

- Napoleon Bonaparte

- General George Patton
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 09:18 AM
UFO

Holy crap man! You will be a cripple when you get older! If you do a lot of sport touring, research and buy a real sport-tourer. Touring on a 748 sounds like pure hell on Earth to me.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
HUS

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by UFO
Holy crap man! You will be a cripple when you get older! If you do a lot of sport touring, research and buy a real sport-tourer. Touring on a 748 sounds like pure hell on Earth to me.
It can be, but I'm so caught up in the bike (looks, sound and handling) that I usually forget about the pain....at least for about the first 250 miles...then I start to get a little uncomfortable but that's what rest areas and gas stations are for.

- Napoleon Bonaparte

- General George Patton
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 08:46 PM

I've done a few 600+ mile days this year, including one in pouring rain, and one in 95+F temps on my 916. The only thing that bothers me on these rides, is my left wrist from using the clutch. I've got Heli bars and a Karbarcher seat, without which I had a tough time riding the bike 20 miles.

Set up properly, the 916 makes riding twisties so easy, that if I'm covering predominantly twisty roads, it is a better sport tourer than my ZX-11.

On the other hand, I've done a few 1000+ mile days on my ZX-11 in rain and 100F temps (e.g. Dallas to Chattanooga, TN via the4 Natchez Trace). I don't think I would ever do this on the Duc, as to cover these many miles in a day, you have to do some superslabbing.

Last edited by MN 916; 08-24-2001 at 08:50 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 11:54 PM

Re: Sport Touring on a Ducati 748. WHAT!?

Quote:
Originally posted by HUS
Yeah, that's right. I've done 7,109 miles on my 748 since March 23rd of this year.
Awesome dude.....! I didnt think I would hear of anyone else crazy enough to do a sport tour on an extreme positioning sportbike. Well, maybe I should say crazy enough about their bike to do a sport tour.

I too recently did a major die on my RC51. I did 700 miles in two days... from San Francisco to Pismo Beach via Hwy 1 PCH. Then a different route back. Lots of fun and some pain too. And at 37 years old I am starting to really feel it.

I look forward to more sport tours with just a tankbag and map.

Ciao!

Miguel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode