Opinion on a bike for S/T riding - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Question Opinion on a bike for S/T riding

Seeing how my CBR may be toast just as I was planning to sell it and get a sporttouring bike... I have a question.

If they don't total it I'm thinking about taking the bike and the insurance check and seeing what both of the above will get me on a bike.

I'm curious as to what others think of one bike in particular. I saw the ZR-7S in a magazine the other day with the factory option of having GIVI bags put on it. Total price before any x-tra charges would be just shy of 7 grand.

Any opinions on this bike for S/T riding?

I need to stay reasonably priced. I have a 750 ACE as well but I need a semi-sport bike as well.

Fire away. Would like to know what you all think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 11:55 AM

Chris, I think the ZR-7S is a great value, no question. I am not crazy about the loks of Givi bags. I would like to ride a ZR-7 with bags to make sure the handling is ok. Givi bags have il-effects on VFR's. some other good options for 7,000 or less are ZX-6 (not R), used VFR's (98 and newer) and the YZF600. Even a used Concours is an option is you realy want hard bags and want to travel alot.

Today there are many great bikes out there most of which make or can be made into good sport tourers.

Rick
NCVFR
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 04:41 PM

The Honda VFR is a great Sport touring bike. If you want more storage I'd recommend the Honda ST1100 or if you want cheap try a Kawasaki Concours

Mike

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Hogs
The Honda VFR is a great Sport touring bike. If you want more storage I'd recommend the Honda ST1100 or if you want cheap try a Kawasaki Concours
The VFR doesn't suit my needs. One, its too expensive. And two it doesn't have an option of hard bags from the factory. Ditto on the ST1100.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by H-Man

The VFR doesn't suit my needs. One, its too expensive. And two it doesn't have an option of hard bags from the factory. Ditto on the ST1100.

If you want an inexpensive touring bike, the Concours is a great deal. 1000cc, plenty of room, comfortable to ride and dependable...$8k new!

The only downside for the Concours is the engine is noisey and has a lot of vibration at high RPMs

You can see pics of my 99 in my sig under "our toys"

Mike
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Hogs

If you want an inexpensive touring bike, the Concours is a great deal. 1000cc, plenty of room, comfortable to ride and dependable...$8k new!

The only downside for the Concours is the engine is noisey and has a lot of vibration at high RPMs

You can see pics of my 99 in my sig under "our toys"
Don't get me wrong. I love the VFR and would buy it if I had the dough to put hard bags, heli-bars, and a Corbin seat on it but I'm trying to stay under 8 grand from the get go. I think I could snatch up a brand new ZR-7S with the bags for $7,200 final cost. If that is the case then thats what I'd probably go for. I believe the Concours is a little large for what I want. I've only seen one in person once and its been awhile but I was thinking that it was a pretty large bike. Am I wrong on this?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 06:24 AM
Pete

Chris, just throwing something out here for you to consider. One of this month's Brit bike rags did a review of inexpensive bikini-faired bikes, which included the Zr7 amongst the Bandit 600, SV650, Honda Hornet (not available here in the US), and a couple others. They hardly had a positive thing to say about the Zr7. They trashed it so hard that they even apologized about it.

I don't want to get into a discussion about moto-journalists being full of B.S. and all that stuff, especially with any Zr7 owners. I'm just relaying what I read. If you are interested, I can get back to you with the name of the magazine and the issue (I just can't recall off the top of my head at the moment).
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete
I don't want to get into a discussion about moto-journalists being full of B.S. and all that stuff, especially with any Zr7 owners. I'm just relaying what I read. If you are interested, I can get back to you with the name of the magazine and the issue (I just can't recall off the top of my head at the moment).
If you can figure it out let me know. I'm not a fan of just going by what they say. I've ridden a standard ZR-7 and feel it's a nice bike. Perhaps there is something I missed?

These are things I want/have considered.

Top of the list has to be the Honda Hornet. I've liked it since I heard about it two years ago. Unfortunatly the powers that be don't offer it here. I read the rumor about the 900rr powered Hornet maybe coming but who knows when that will happen or what the price will be.

Second and most wanted (available) is the SV-650. Problems are this. I'd have to get the bike. Come up with the cash to get a bikini fairing. Cash to buy GIVIs for it and mount them myself. And have to figure out if Rhonda and I can handle the "stepped" seat.

Third would be the ZR-7S. Only reason I consider this is the bags as a factory option. The fairing and easy riding stance. And the single piece seat which could later be replaced with a corbin or sargent. Just wish it had a 6-speed.

And last would be the VFR with hard bags. Problems are the ones listed in the above post.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 07:17 AM

Chris, if you are thinking about 2 up on the ZR7 with bags I would be worried. My VFR has about 20 more horse power and is just adequate for two up touring with soft bags. The ZR7 also has an old style mild-steel double cradle frame which is not ridgid enough for two up sport touring. Most US mags have raved about the ZR7. Just remember it is 1980's technology for the most part.

You are right the Concours is a very big bike. I put 70,000 miles on one. It too has an old style frame but it is much stouter than the ZR7. You really need the bigger bike if you plan on during much two up touring. Don't worry about the size of a Concours as it handles very well for what it is. A good rider on a Connie can keep up with any sane person on a twisty road. The biggest draw back with a Connie is lack of tire for its size. That is the wheels are a little narrow for the weight.

Rick
NCVFR
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 07:34 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by H-Man
If you can figure it out let me know.
The magazine is in my library at home; I'll respond tomorrow. Again, I am only relaying what the artcile stated. I have never ridden the Zr7, so I cannot comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode