Bridgestone Bt0-10 Bt0-20 Combo - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-10-2001, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Question Bridgestone Bt0-10 Bt0-20 Combo

Has anyone tried this combo, noticed the tread pattern is differant any problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 04:50 PM

Interesting question. I don't think the tread pattern mix would matter, but, the compound will. Doesn't seem like a bad idea to do what your thinking about- mixing a harder compound for the rear and the softer for the front. I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I've been considering buying an MEz4 for the rear and a MEz3 for the front for my ride. But, for one reason or annother, those 020's have been look'in good to me. Been wondering if'n they are softer than the MEz4's. I like the Metzlers...have had 'em for a while but, would like to try a different brand to "taste- test" what's out there...know what I mean?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Hurricanxx, I have tried Metezlersbut to expensive and you only get about 5,000 out of the rear. you can save $60.00 on a set, I have tried the bt0-20 on the rear it sticks

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 06:51 PM

Only 5,000 miles on what model Metzler? I've cranked almost 10,000 miles on these MEz4's... they've lasted and they stick...the front showing minimal wear, especially for this many miles. And, the rear is just now becoming questionable. The MEz4' are the equivilant to the Michelin 90X and the newer version, the 100X's. I don't baby these tires if'n ya catch my drift. They've been smoked quite abit under hard accelleration and have enjoyed a few "light" burnouts, too. The reason I made the comment about the MEz3 on the front is that they are a bit stickier than the MEz4 and would promote more confidence in a deeper corner than the harder compound MEz4 that I have on there now, albeit, a wear compromise I am willing to make since the front isn't subjected to the torque stress the rear tire is. Yeah, the Metzler tires are more expensive than the Dunlops and Bridgestones, but, I know that with this many miles and the wear and tear that I know that they've been under, I believe that its been worth the small extra cash that I paid for 'em. I've been wondering if those 020's that have been a consideration of mine would last and stick like these MEz4's. And, I wonder if they'd make the bike feel more 'flickable'.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

They ere MEZ4s on a 99 Blackbird, what kind of bike do you have? 10,000miles out of the rear thats Incredible you must run high air pressure
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 04:51 PM

Yeah, I think that's amazing milage, too. It's an 'ol Hurricane 1000-so it's not a light bike. I think it's heavier than yours for sure. They run with roughly 34-36 upfront and 36-38 or 40-42 if I have a passenger. Do you think that's alot of PSI?

Last edited by HurricaneXX; 07-12-2001 at 07:57 PM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

I think that's low psi for the mileage. The higher the psi the more miles you get because the tire is"nt generating a lot of heat compared to low psi. I just ordered the bridgestone BT0-10 for the front and the BT0-20 for the rear, should be in next week, about $60.00 cheaper per set than the MEZ4s, will keep you posted. Ride safe!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 08:04 PM

I'm seriously considering the 020's, too. I am, still, indecisive, though. I do appreciate you keep'in me posted. Keep the new rubber side down!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 11:00 AM

Thumbs up Bridgestone BTO1O/O2O

I have been running my VFR750 with 020's since last year & absolutly love them. So far I've done 7k. and that has included a tour to France. I was a bit worried that they might square off with all the motorway miles but am pleased to report that it did not seem to affect them. I reckon that I've another 1/1.5k. of life before replacing them & will fit the same as the grip & feedback are 1st class. A friend of mine with a blackbird has tried out your sugestion & doesn't find anything wrong with this set-up, but get advice from your local supplier to put your mind at rest.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 09:31 AM

Location: Mission Viejo, California, USA, Earth; no better place to be.
I don't remember if I posted this here or at alt.sportbike NG.

If you mix different compound tires, there's a good chance that the LESS STICKY compound will loose traction FIRST before the stickier compound. So if you were to put a sticky compound front(BT010's) and a less sticky compound rear (BT020's), you will have a condition where as you reach the limits of adhesion, the rear will break away before the front resulting in a high side. This happened to a good friend of mine when he mixed a Dunlop D208 front and a D207 rear at the track.

Ideally, BOTH f & r tires loose traction at the same time so you start "pushing" or sliding the bike slightly as you negotiate a corner. That way, the breakaway is predictable and the rider will notice this and slow it down without drama.

Of course, the above scenario will only occur (hopefully) at the track where you're riding at the limits. Under street riding conditions, it probably won't be a factor. Unless you ride in the rain. There again you may run into the same problems of mismatched traction capabilities of f to r tires.

I think if you're after mileage, just go with the BT020's f & r. This tire will last a long time and still provide very good traction during high lean angles. OTOH, if you're after traction, go with the BT010's. This tire also wears very well, though not as long as the 20's. Yet they will stick as far as you dare lean the bike. Mixing and matching I don't think is worth the risk if/when you do take your bike to the limit. Sometimes, you just never know so why risk it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode