MEz4's again or Macadam 100x??? Or... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

MEz4's again or Macadam 100x??? Or...

I ride an 'ol 1000 Hurricane that has about 10,000 miles on some MEz4's. I like the tires and am impressed with the milage. However, I am looking for something with a bit more sticktion for more confidence in the deep corners. I realize that preference will compromise the longevity of the tire, whatever it may be. But, I don't want to sacrifice too much longevity. I am wondering about the Michelin Macadam 100x. Are they comparable to the Metzler MEz4's? Or, they a bit stickier. I like the Pilot Sports, but, I tend to think they'll burn up too fast. And would the Pilot Sports be comparable to the Metzler MEz3's? These are the two brands I like the best. I'd appreciate any input. Thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 09:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to HeckLer1979 Send a message via Yahoo to HeckLer1979
I have no info on those tires, but my friends like Dunlops 207. In their opinions and own words "They are the like morgages payments, they stick to you till ur done with them."

"If you do not understand my silence, you will not understand my words."
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for the reply, HeckLer. Although the 207's stick like no body's business, I'll need to stay more towards the touring side of sport/touring for longevity's sake. If you catch my drift. I don't wanna change the tires at every oil change. Thanx just the same, though. It seems hard to find input about this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2001, 10:53 PM

I ran with the Macadam 100's on my CBR 900RR because I also wanted something with a longer life and some good stick. I can totally recommend the Michelins. Although I no longer have the bike while i did put some good miles on them they were excellant. Even for the Sunday moring rides. The best part was they were great in the rain too. Alot of that in springtime San Francisco.

Miguel
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 02:32 PM

im running the macadam 90x on my bike. ive put around a 1000 miles on them and havent realy notice to much wear in the middle. i cant comment on the sides because the part of florida im in it seems all the roads are straight.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for the input, people! But, Calspeed, do you remember about how many miles you had on your 100x's? Would you consider yourself an aggressive rider(IEcasional burn outs, hard cornering..blah,blah...) I trying to compare the MEz4's with the Macadams through the help of your experience with 'em. Thankyou.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 04:38 PM

Hello,

I sold the bike with only a few thousand miles on the tires and they still looked brand new. No, I didnt do any burnouts on them. Yes, I did ride somewhat aggressively but no track sessions with them. I currently ride an RC51 and have considered going to the Macadams on that bike too. After all, I dont plan to race the bike. But I will use them on Sunday morning Hwy 1 rides north of San Francisco. I like the "real" weather capabilites as I will use the bike all year round. I am also sure that I wont be running harder than the tires capabilities on the street.

Calspeed
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Cool beans, Calspeed. I'm leaning towards the Michilins. It's also a lighter tire then the Metzlers. Thanx for replying. You've got a sweet RC51.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 05:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to redrider Send a message via Yahoo to redrider
You might also want to consider the Bridgestone BT020's. They're in the same clas as the others. I just put a set on my VFR and got them from Chaparral. I thought they had them very well priced.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2001, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I thought about the Brigstones BT020's. I see they are considerably cheaper than the other two that I have mentioned. I think they are also the stock tire for alot of bikes including the CBR1100XX. But my gut feeling, and I may be wrong, is that Michelin and Metzler put a bit more R & D into their tires. Besides the 100xx is a supposed improvement over an already proven tire; the 90xx. I've been a Metzler fan for years. They are of typical German mentality: methodical, detailed and comprehensive in their research, development and implementation of proven tire technologies. I've ridden in Germany for a few years... lived there. The roads are twisties in the back 40 and wide sweepers on the 'bahn. They know what people want in tires and they simply deliver. Michelin is very similar however, of the french persuasion for the most part. But, it's Europe. Not very many straight roads like you'll find in America, especially in out Western parts. I feel more comfortable with the Metzler or the Michelin tires. Maybe, I just understand a bit more about those companies more than the others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode