Frustration as I'm sucked into others' tailpipes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Frustration as I'm sucked into others' tailpipes

Well, for six years now I've had the fastest bike in the group of riders I ride with. Not any longer.

A friend of mine bought an Aprilia Falco 1000, and his friend has a Hayabusa. I just returned from a couple of days of riding through Colorado's mountains with them. I do fine in the corners, as the 'Busa guy doesn't push it, the Aprilia guy rides faster than he did on the Buell he had last year but I can keep up just fine. On the straights I'm history.

When I bought my bike five years back, on the ride home I wondered if I could ever master the excessive power it had. On Tuesday I got to ride the 'Busa and jeez. What a monster. And it even handles better than my bike. A person could get himself in over his head on that machine.

So, I'm on my VF1000R cruising at 90 with a long straight ahead, shift down a couple of gears, whack the throttle wide open, shift up at redline, pass 135 on the way to 140 and beyond at full throttle. All this at about 7000 ft. in Colorado. What a feeling. And here comes the Aprilia, just motoring by, followed by the Hayabusa as he waves goodbye to me, while I am holding my throttle wide open against the stop, gritting my teeth in frustration. Dirty guys.

Well, I'm too cheap to go buy a faster bike, and will live with my VF until my kids are gone and I have the cash. I can still do 100 in less than 8 seconds. I just don't like having to pull myself out of those Hayabusa tailpipes...

New bikes are incredible.

Motorcycles are cheaper than therapy.

Last edited by KenVF1000R; 06-21-2001 at 09:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 01:01 PM

Thumbs up

I feel your pain. My 95 VFR750 is getting long in the tooth as well. I can still ride it to the my 80% level in the twisties but on the straights a good 600 can blow me away. I have nearly 80,000 on the VFR and it has never failed me.

I am getting married in the fall so a new bike will have to wait until at least next spring. I am hoping for a new vfr with v-tech technology and even better handling. I have also thought about the ST1100 replacement if it comes to pass.

By the way I nearly bought a VF1000R in 97 as a left over for 4900 new. In some ways I wish I had the big bike although I realise it neither handles as well or as comfortable as the 750.

Rick
NCVFR
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 02:02 PM

Ahhhh, I feel your pain. I have an 'ol Hurricane 1000. And, Although its a great bike, a CBR1100 Blackbird it's not. Look it at this way, what you have it a chunk of sportbike history. You have a rare bike. I'm sure it makes better mechanical sounds with the big V-4 than those other two. Your bike is pure nostalgia with attitude!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Giving her a new look & sound

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a set of Cobra F1R slip-ons for my VF. I also bought a set of flush-mount signals (real flush-mounts--not the screw-on big blister type) and put them in my fairing, then converted my taillight to double as turn signals.

Walaa! No more outriggers hanging off of my beautiful bike. The slip-ons should make it sound nice too. The guy with the Aprilia has race pipes and his bike sounds SO nice. He had a Buell last year, and it was obnoxiously loud. After the mufflers get here this week I'll be looking to free up the airbox a little. I don't want to drill holes in it until I'm sure I'm keeping the Cobras on, since I don't want to hear loud intake noise unless there's loud exhaust noise accompanying it.

These measures should breathe new life into my ownership experience--enough new life to alleviate the desire for a VTR1000. (I hope )

Motorcycles are cheaper than therapy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode