Sport toured my RC51... ouch! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Cool Sport toured my RC51... ouch!

Hello,

I just returned from a weekend trip fron San Francisco to Pismo Beach on my RC51. Frist of all I would like to say that it is possible to tour on an aggressive sportbike like my RC51. Second thing I need to say is...... boy was I sore!

All I did was pack a tankbag as I wasnt going to stick anything on the rear and scuff up my "beautiful" bike. ;>) We did about 560 miles over the weekend. My buddy was riding a '90 VFR. He got mid 40's mpg and I was getting about 32-38mpg. I was also unable to really use 6th gear too often when traffic built up. At 80mph in 6th my bike was taching at roughly 4200. It doesnt like anything under 3800 rpm. Especially up top when there is alot of wind drag.

I have toured on a CBR900RR and it wasnt as bad. I thought that an RC would be okay. Well, it will take some getting used too as I will do it again. I know... the bike is made for the track. It will see that too occassionally. Dont worry!.

Btw... in Pismo Beach they were hosting an Annual Classic Car and Hot Rod show. They closed off a couple blocks for the night cruise. I snuck my bike into the cruise line-up and did a couple frontend pop ups for the crowd. As the hundreds of people flashed their cameras and cheered I felt like a hero. But they just wanted my big RC51 with the barking Moriwakis. Tough crowd.

Ciao!

Miguel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p6160006.jpg (59.0 KB, 335 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 06:02 AM

Nice RC you've got there!

Nice pic of it. I've been sport-touring my VF1000R for a few years now, and it definitely is easier when there's no traffic. I think that's because your mind is on the next corner instead of the next gas stop where you can rest your butt.

In fact, I'm leaving tonight. Going to Walden CO, 100 mi. through a mountain canyon to meet up with some friends so we can leave in the morning for an overnight jaunt through Colorado's beautiful Rocky Mountains. One Aprilia Falco, two Hayabusas and a VF1000R. Won't that be fun.

My VF is heavy and rides pretty nice, but the seat is nothing spectacular. I like having the damping adjustability while riding. It's got a cable by my left knee and wheel on top of the right forkleg. When traffic slows us down, I can soften up the bumps a tad. In any case though, it's "The faster the better."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mybike2.jpg (27.5 KB, 296 views)

Motorcycles are cheaper than therapy.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 01:01 PM

Talking Sport touring?

I really enjoy touring on my `98TLR and I`m 6`2" and 240lbs.I would like to pick up a corbin seat to replace the stocker,which gets pretty sore to sit on after about 300 miles.And now the bike is no longer mint as it has bungee cord scratches,tire marks(was touring in southern Oregon and beside a Jeep Wagoneer when its left front tire blew and a piece hit my lower right fairing,no damage to the fairing)etc.Are the RC-51 and TLR similiar to tour on,ergonomically speaking?.................ken.

I AM CANADIAN

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 01:43 PM

Location: Mission Viejo, California, USA, Earth; no better place to be.
That's a beautiful pic of the RC51 and the foggy coast. I gotta get mine developed! I have to say, the RC51 would be my last choice as a sport-tourer. But this just goes to show, you can tour with anything. All you need is the "can do" attitude.

The TLR1000 has a more upright riding position than the RC51. The Suzuki is definitely more comfortable, has greater range, and is easier to fit with luggage. Just look at the size of its rear seat and passenger seat compared to the RC!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Hey guys... thanks for the responces on my thread. Even though it became painful after 5 hours of roadtime it was still a blast. The motor is just so perfect for the open highway. The thing has just so much torque.

The TL1000R is alittle easier on the posture when riding long distance but it still isnt a tourer. I still say go for it. Take the rest breaks. Take in the views and enjoy. Touring really is one of the best things about motorcycling.

Until the next tour..... Ciao!

Miguel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p6160009.jpg (59.4 KB, 255 views)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 08:19 AM

Hey. I've seen that Pharmacy before!

I toured the Central Coast on my Hayabusa a month ago. We rode from Orange County, located in Southern California to San Simeon. Then rode up PCH to Monterey. Rode around Carmel Valley, around Lake Naciemento, then back down PCH. 3 days. 2 nights. 1,000 miles. Rode in the rain. In the fog. Under the Sun. Tried different restaurants in the evening. It was a blast!

I found I could only ride about 150 miles and/or 2 hours before I had to get off my Busa! The bike was able to go 190+ miles on the highway before needing a fillup but I had to get off well before that time. So my hat's off to you and your RC51 tour.

BTW, my friend and I liked the tour so much we plan on doing it again this September. Now we have 3 other guys interested in going. One has an R1, the other has a 996! I'd love to see them tour on those!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 12:32 PM

Thumbs up Sport touring?

I`ll be doing a tour in September,heading to see friends in Santa Rosa,CA with the trip consisting of about 2400 miles.I haven`t done much touring south of San Francisco but a fair bit north.I find the PCH from Leggat to San Francisco is very enjoyable with the view just stunning and have seen signs on the highway that discourage long vehicles(motorhomes,5th wheels etc.)from traveling on it which is OK with me as there isn`t many passing areas.

I AM CANADIAN
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Well, a word of caution about the passing areas and the double yellow lines just north of SF. THere is a serious crackdown on motorcyclists that cross over the double yellow. I was pulled over by the CHP just recently.

The problem really isnt the double yellow crossers but the drivers of the cars that dont use the turn-offs. The speed limit is 50-55 in many areas but the cars are traveling at 35-45. And then they will not use the turn offs but try to speed up. Now how stupid is that? Instead of having a pleasent Sunday moring drive in that huge SUV you are now trying to play, "I am faster then you" with a motorcycle.

The CHP are sitting out there out of sight but can easily se you a 1/4 mile away. THey know there are no broken lines in that zone. ANd they can see when you make the safe pass on the SUV. Oh well..... its ticket time. Double yellows mean just that. I passed a Volvo wagon in a 55 zone that was doing 30. I passed him at 40.

Just a word of caution out there.

Miguel
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 10:03 AM

Re: Sport touring?

Quote:
Originally posted by auger
I`ll be doing a tour in September,heading to see friends in Santa Rosa,CA with the trip consisting of about 2400 miles.I haven`t done much touring south of San Francisco but a fair bit north.I find the PCH from Leggat to San Francisco is very enjoyable with the view just stunning and have seen signs on the highway that discourage long vehicles(motorhomes,5th wheels etc.)from traveling on it which is OK with me as there isn`t many passing areas.
Have you tried going up Mt Tamilpias just North of SF along PCH? That's an awesome climb. Very technical though with lots of decreasing radius.

The roads North of SF are better than what's south of it. They're all less congested surrounded by beautiful countryside. About a a year ago, I had an opportunity to drive up to the Lost Coast area. I swear, I could drive on twisties ALL DAY and never run out. Sometimes, I'd be driving along for 25 - 30 miles, we're talking 45 minutes of driving on the twisties and only see one other car. It's reassuring that there are still places like that in California. Places that hasn't been spoiled by tourism and land development. Someday, I plan to go back to the Lost Coast on a motorcycle.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 11:05 AM

Thumbs up Sport touring?

No,I haven`t done mt Tam but have been told that its a blast to ride on.One of many that I have ridden is from Stewarts Point on the PCH to Geyserville on the 101.The stewarts point end is like a lane and a half wide and very twisty but the best part is the other end about 16 miles west of Geyserville where you`ll find a couple dozen cloned corners,perfect surface and very little traffic,Heaven must be something like this.Just awesome!!.

I AM CANADIAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode