MotoGP 2007... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

MotoGP 2007...

Iíve been watching the headlines on MotoGP regarding 800cc testing and reading threads about FIM rule changes and restrictor plates, etc. etc. So, I just have a few questions: what exactly are the rule changes? Why were they made? Are they really trying to slow the sport down? How is an 800cc machine supposed to be faster than a 990cc (except maybe on the really tight tracks)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:22 PM

The rule change was made for engine capacity; from 990cc to 800cc. The MotoGP bosses believe that speeds are getting too high (all but two or three riders reaching 200 MPH on the Italian Grand Prix straight), thus decided to limit engine power. Some believe that GP bike horsepower will be down from 250+ to somewhere between 200-225. Consequently, the bikes will probably be harder to ride - more abrupt power delivery with the 800cc as compared to the smooth power bands of the 990cc engines - but faster lap times are still possible. I believe the Kawasaki GP team has seen their riders go as much as eight MPH faster through certain corners with the new, lighter, more compact 800cc bikes. 2007 will definitely be a season to watch!

Hope I answered your question.

Time to defend the Title NICKY!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 07:16 AM

It was a retarded way to reduce costs and slow the bikes down. Did the opposite in both cases. The bikes are faster and more expensive and will likely have more mechanical DNFs next season.

One advantage the new rule has and is one goal of the change that I think will materialize is that the lower budget factories(Kawasaki and Suzuki) will have more competitive machinery.

You want to slow the bikes down... make them heavier.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Why would you want to slow them down? This is racing. The point is to go as fast as possible.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JustLeanIt
Why would you want to slow them down? This is racing. The point is to go as fast as possible.
It's purely a safety issue. Their speeds are getting close to danger levels even at some of the well designed European tracks.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn
It's purely a safety issue. Their speeds are getting close to danger levels even at some of the well designed European tracks.
sounds like its time to build new tracks...

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
LOL I hear ya.

One thing they are looking at seriously is the type of material used for runoff. They are seriously considering getting rid of the pea gravel because it tends to hurt the riders more. They are looking at several artificial things. Can't remember where I read the article touching on this subject. FIM thinks they can improve the safety factor by replacing the gravel with something else that will slow bikes but not slow the riders too fast/violently.

It will be interesting to see what they do over the next few years.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 12:20 PM

I want to see something radically different in the layout. Like the cross section of the track being a half pipe, tilting for the corners. What kind of line do you try to hold thru that?

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 06:25 AM

MotoGP should just put in McDonald's ball pits for run-off areas! What a sight that would be, eh!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
I like the way you think, Vash. Exactly. Raise the level of the venue to meet the level of the sport; obtained by ever-advancing technology. To me (and this is just me), MotoGp is/was the purest form of racing. Itís about man and machine continuing to push the envelope, to challenge the limits of the physical world; materials, designs, manís ability. Donít water down the sport to fit within the current out-dated venues.

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn
One advantage the new rule has and is one goal of the change that I think will materialize is that the lower budget factories(Kawasaki and Suzuki) will have more competitive machinery.
...sounds like dilution to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode