MotoGP 2007... - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JustLeanIt

...sounds like dilution to me!
That's exactly what it is if things do actually turn out that way. That isn't necessarily a bad thing though. If it keeps the grids full of a variety of teams and not just a Honda show.

World Superbike was almost ruined by their resisitance to change the rules. Turned it into a Ducati show.

Rebuilding all of the venues just isn't an option. Too expensive and even the new venues built with bottomless money sources aren't setting themselves up for 200+ mph motorcycles. It's just not necessary.

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, men do not need to be running around any track in excess of 200 miles per hour or sliding through turns at well over 150mph. It's crazy to even want that. I don't care how much runoff you have or what surface it is over it is still extremely dangerous and will increase deaths. The riders are going to go as fast as the machinery will let them without a huge regard for their safety. Funny but money does that to many people. I've worked for and been around a lot of really fast guys and the only way to slow them down is to make the bikes slower. The Isle of Man TT and the Macao GP races are proof of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:42 PM

John, care to elaborate?

I mean it seems pretty obvious that racers dont have much of a regard for their own safety. Its the sort of attitude necessary to be good at it, complete comitment. And while I havent seen macao raced, Isle of man seems absolutely nuts. I'm not sure I'd want to ride that course by myself, much less with others on the track. Still, I think most people, racers included, understand that it is a dangerous sport, and that their chances of dying go up with participation..

but that wasnt the question.. the question was what happened with the ducati show?

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn
...200+ mph motorcycles. It's just not necessary.

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, men do not need to be running around any track in excess of 200 miles per hour or sliding through turns at well over 150mph...
Since when is racing about need?

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JustLeanIt
Since when is racing about need?
LOL Good point.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
John, care to elaborate?

I mean it seems pretty obvious that racers dont have much of a regard for their own safety. Its the sort of attitude necessary to be good at it, complete comitment. And while I havent seen macao raced, Isle of man seems absolutely nuts. I'm not sure I'd want to ride that course by myself, much less with others on the track. Still, I think most people, racers included, understand that it is a dangerous sport, and that their chances of dying go up with participation..

but that wasnt the question.. the question was what happened with the ducati show?
Elaborate on what part?
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
World Superbike was almost ruined by their resisitance to change the rules. Turned it into a Ducati show.
that one

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
that one
Oh that part.

WSB popularity in the rest of the world started falling off pretty back right before they decided to allow the liter 4s into the races. There was nothing but Ducatis running up front for so long and it was starting to hurt the attendance and the viewers. Well everywhere but Italy.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 02:54 PM

so they ran liter twins against what, inline 750s?

And now they are talking about running 1.2liter twins in the same class as 1liter inlines?

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
so they ran liter twins against what, inline 750s?

And now they are talking about running 1.2liter twins in the same class as 1liter inlines?
Yep that's what the WSB folks are going to do. I don't think the 200cc's will be enough to make the Ducatis dominate like before but I think they will be running up front again.

I'm assuming they have to be the same weight. Years ago the twins were given a weight advantage because 1 liter twins couldn't put out the comparable horsepower to the 750 fours. As the gap closed due to technology allowing the twins to rev higher they started raising their minimum weights until they were the same requirement. This 1200cc thing is going to be interesting.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 04:32 PM

At this rate it sounds like they are better off limiting peak HP instead of displacement. Let the manufacturers compete over the broadest power band.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode