800 CC Test Footage - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 03:27 PM

I like the sound of the Ducati, course I'm a Honda fan at heart, and enjoy its sound. I'd like to see some times after they have had enough testing to refine and tune the machines.

Did Rossi's machine get shortened? Might have just been me, but it seemed to also gone under a chop, whether it was subframe or chasis. I think I read/heard Honda shortened the wheelbase, figured the Yamaha did as well.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I believe they're all compact compared to 990 cc, but Rossi bikes looks just like the 990 cc, so it's harder to tell.

They already had some lap times done on it, and I believe 800 is faster than the 990 cc on tight tracks like valencia, Rossi having the fastest lap.

But they also speculate on other tracks with more sweepers, the 990 cc would be faster. They're evolving and bringing it to the level of the 990cc, they claim new bikes might seem better because more traction and revs, possibly reaching 20K rpms.

Journalists speculate all these FIM rules changes are in vain, as the new bikes will be just as fast as the old one, so safety remains the same.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Z_Fanatic
Yeah I believe they're all compact compared to 990 cc, but Rossi bikes looks just like the 990 cc, so it's harder to tell.

They already had some lap times done on it, and I believe 800 is faster than the 990 cc on tight tracks like valencia, Rossi having the fastest lap.

But they also speculate on other tracks with more sweepers, the 990 cc would be faster. They're evolving and bringing it to the level of the 990cc, they claim new bikes might seem better because more traction and revs, possibly reaching 20K rpms.

Journalists speculate all these FIM rules changes are in vain, as the new bikes will be just as fast as the old one, so safety remains the same.
Amazing, the revs getting up around NASA standards

I think change is good in most cases. Probably too early to tell, but I would not like to see changes that force the teams to all use same designs for the powerplants and set ups.

I'm not a NASCAR fan, but comparing NASCAR pre-restricter plates, to post-restricter plates.... its changed the manner of racing completely. Putting a full grid of virtually identical racing machines, seperated by paint schemes.

I only make the comparison, since the restricter plates were implemented with saftey in mind on the superspeedways. Personally, I like the smaller displacement. And in reality, I don't see FIM forcing changes that will graduate teams into having identical equipment, yet.

Once the riders adjust to the new powerband/handling/braking, the racing will be just as exciting. Maybe more so.

Bah!! I ramble way too much at 630 in the morning
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 07:54 AM

The sport will be faster, more expensive and more dangerous with the new rules. Just the opposite of what they said they wanted.

It was rediculous to think it would be different.

You want to slow them down then you do with tires or weight.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn

You want to slow them down then you do with tires or weight.
New FIM sanctioned wind chutes deployed on all straights

On a serious note - Regarding the slow down method with tires. Would tire modification jepordize safety? Putting that much power to the track via rubber compound with less tack?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes
New FIM sanctioned wind chutes deployed on all straights

On a serious note - Regarding the slow down method with tires. Would tire modification jepordize safety? Putting that much power to the track via rubber compound with less tack?
It would force them to cut back on power or else the traction control would take care of the safety issues.

I think that added weight would be an easier and more fair way of taking things down a notch.

Only drawback to just using weight is that they will put more money into horsepower to overcome and then they would be pushing the tires traction limits again.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 12:35 PM

I dont think adding weight would help anything at all. Tire loads increase with a heavier bike, thus riders would be closer to slipping in corners, or while braking. The idea of making a sport safer by restricting speeds seem silly to me. Racing is about pushing envelopes, that isnt going to change. Adjusting tech moves the envelope level around, but with a rider being on the edge the chance of wrecking is about the same, and its hard to say that one if much better off crashing at 160 than 180.
So to me, increasing safety would go in to one of two categories, pre-post crash. Post crash being the most important, seing how racers are going to crash. So bigger sandpits, better suits, helmets etc seem to be the way to go. In the pre-crash department, I think traction control will offer the best benefits. But for whatever reasons, this is looked down on in racing.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 01:06 PM

The weight differences have been used in the past to slow things down. It does work. All things given it lowers their accelleration and makes them brake earlier. It definitely puts the point of losing traction at a slower speed. Do I think it would be effective by itself ... no.

I agree that the traction control is probably the best safety factor out there right now. Many of the old timers think this takes the rider's skill out of it. Hell it just means they can focus those skills on slowing down quicker.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 01:29 PM

I agree ... its racing. To me that means the rider/bike who has the nerve and machine to complete the fastest lap consistently wins

At least in this series, if the team can afford it, let em run it. They are not production frames/engines.

I'm anxious to see the testing continue with the 800s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode