Phillip Island Controversy - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Phillip Island Controversy

Did anyone happen to notice that during as weekend's MotoGP round at Phillip Island, as Hayden was following Rossi through the field, Rossi passed a rider (Casey Stoner) under a waiving yellow?

If you recorded the race on Speed you can see for yourself.

Lap 17, turn 4 (Honda Corner - right hander) The camera is on Rossi and Hayden as they close up on Stoner and Nakano, and at the apex, as Rossi gets by Stoner. Behind them you can see the corner worker waiving the yellow flag.

Hayden says he saw the flag. Stoner states he saw it too. Nakano saw it as well. But Rossi states he didn't.

The entire Honda camp filed a protest but apparently to no avail as Race Control doesn't see an issue.

It looks like Hayden might hang on to this to the end if he keeps riding hard, but I find it interesting that had the roles been reversed, and Hayden had been the one to pass under the yellow - I'm not so sure the results would be the same.......

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 06:48 AM

I didn't see it, as this is one of my first few races I have watched (finally bought speed) but I did notice at the end the commentator says something about that, then the show ends. I wanted hayden to win too. Go USA. Although I must say 16 to 6 or 5th whichever he finished is pretty good. Although my outlook on motogp is this, it seems like a bunch of pretty evenly match guys, and whoever gets lucky that day places well.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 11:17 AM

Race control claimed that there was nothing they could do about it because of the wording of the rules. It states that there can be no penalty for race activities once the race has ended. Turns out that their statement isn't completely true. So this will be a forever controversy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode