Laguna Seca and Rossi - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Laguna Seca and Rossi

If you haven't seen the Laguna Seca race yet, don't read.

Does anyone know what happened with is bike towards the end? I know he was having tire problems starting mid race, but he was smoking pretty bad at the end. He claimed it was the bike overheating because he couldn't run it at speed due to a chunk missing from the tire... but it looked to be coming from his exhaust which just doesn't add up to me. I know he's been having problems all season with his bike so I dunno if there is some history that is playing on the smoke or not. I hope everyone in the US watched it on ABC so they can keep airing the races
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 05:05 PM

You can pretty much bet he just blew an engine. It's PR bullshit blaming it on overheating from slow speeds. The bike was already smoking before he slowed down.

It isn't often you will get a factory team to admit that their engine just wouldn't take it.

Rossi had to wring the shit out of the tires and the engine to get back up to where he was.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

I hadn't thought about the Yamaha side causing the story, but it makes sense. I can't beleive that the engine on one of those bikes would give like that. It was going strong then poof. I know its alot of stress on them in the race, but Yama should have the backing to make a good engine that will last...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 12:20 PM

I would say that Rossi ragged the shit out of it trying to catch up. Those bikes are tuned to the edge of blowing anyway in my best guess.

If AMA factory superbike tuners were capable of tuning their bikes to the absolute limit to where it would blow just after start finish when taking the win then they would do it. But.... that is just too risky.

We had one blow at Mid Ohio just as our rider was taking the checkered flag during qualifying as we took top privateer qualifier. Owner just smiled and said, "Guess we had that one jetted just right. Get it on the table so we can swap engines."

Of course he was downplaying it a little. Probably to ease the pain of that busted $16,000 engine.

Last edited by RCjohn; 07-31-2006 at 12:23 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 01:35 PM

I know Rossi was attemtping to finish the race and pick up some points, even with his mechanical failure, but he was flagged down because he was dumping oil. He is probubly really considering F1 now for sure...lol. -Son
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SonVeritas
I know Rossi was attemtping to finish the race and pick up some points, even with his mechanical failure, but he was flagged down because he was dumping oil. He is probubly really considering F1 now for sure...lol. -Son
I think he is alread signed for next season with Yamaha. Hell he even says now he's considering giving NASCAR a shot.

He's definitely going to cars but I don't see that happening for the next 2 years. I think he will do at least 2 more motorcycle seasons. Especially since he's not likely to get the championship this year. He will want to go out as champ.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 02:57 PM

NASCAR Rossi

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn
Hell he even says now he's considering giving NASCAR a shot.
Rossi in NASCAR?!

What a total waste of talent that would be. I'd bet he could recline the seat, take a nap, and still win the race in his sleep.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 12:07 AM

I know Rossi has one or two more years of GP left, but he has also been doing a decent amount of testing with ferrari F1 i believe. Turning some decent times as well... should be interesting.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 06:39 AM

In his interview before the Laguna race he stated his interest in NASCAR. Kind of bizaar. He says he follows every race and could see himself in NASCAR. He joked about them not being real race tracks becaue "dey only go in circles."

He's definitely going to cars but hasn't decided where. It didn't sound so much like F1 is where his heart is at. He is a damn good rally car driver too. He has been pretty fast in every car he has tested.

Don't discredit the NASCAR boys so quickly. It is very difficult to standout in that series.

My money would be on him doing F1 and my second guess would be rally cars. I would say it will depend on what kind of contract he is offered and not so much the money as it is the team and situation.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 06:39 AM

Re: NASCAR Rossi

Quote:
Originally posted by zxrider
Rossi in NASCAR?!

What a total waste of talent that would be. I'd bet he could recline the seat, take a nap, and still win the race in his sleep.
He would probably get his ass handed to him for at least one season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode