US Club/Amateur Racing - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

US Club/Amateur Racing

Whats the US scene like for club/amateur racing?
Is it expensive, do you stick to one circuit or travel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 07:59 AM

Re: US Club/Amateur Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7enUK
Whats the US scene like for club/amateur racing?
Is it expensive, do you stick to one circuit or travel?
Did you ever get an answer to your questions?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

no!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 06:04 AM

The brief answer is it can be and you can.

Typically when asked how much it cost we say, "How much do you have?" Because most guys spend whatever they have when racing. If you are forced to run a cheap budget then you do so. But I raced a little on my RC-51. I put about $1500 into it for preps such as bodywork, paint, rear shock, damper, etc. I'm fairly slow so didn't need to do alot of upgrades such as forks or engine. I probably could have gone without the shock and done just as well. Aside from travel money it usually took me about $300 for a weekend for tires and entry fees. A friend of mine that is actually very good(several championships) will spend that much for tires for one race day. So cost go up depending on your competiveness and/or your desire. When I worked on an AMA pro privateer team we spent close to $250,000 bucks a season and we had alot of support sponsors.

Basically the cost question is a loaded question.

There are quite a few tracks and several racing organizations. I raced with WERA(Wester-Eastern Roadracing Assoc.) and the other of the large national ones is CCS(Champ. Cus Series). I've dealt with both and prefer WERA plus it's based in the Southeast. They do race throughout the country though. They have regional and national races. There are several regional racing organizations also such as LRRS(Loudon Road Racing Series) that's based in Loudon, NH. There is WSMC(Willow Springs Motorcycle Club) that racing at Willow Springs about and hour or so north of Los Angeles, CA. There are several others. That probably covers the largest ones.

I will warn you that our tracks aren't quite what they are in the UK.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 06:05 AM

By the way, I could write pages on this topic though. If you have any specific questions just let me know.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 07:08 AM

I'll jump in with a specific question here, since you mentioned LRRS

Do you know enough about the series to have an opinion of the quality? And where the heck do I get licensed in NH, only down at Loudon?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 11:11 AM

I haven't dealt with LRRS since 98 but everything I've seen and heard about them is that they are one of the best regional organizations in the US.

As for licensing, I believe they accept licenses issued by most organizations and major schools in the US to meet their requirements.

They are based at New Hampshire International Speedway.

Their website is www.lrrsracing.com
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 11:42 AM

I've been to the site, found it difficult to navigate and a bit lacking in the information I was looking for. Admittedly, I was at work and short on 'web time'.

Track day rules are pretty standard right? Gotta have a license and full leathers?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fkwyman
I've been to the site, found it difficult to navigate and a bit lacking in the information I was looking for. Admittedly, I was at work and short on 'web time'.

Track day rules are pretty standard right? Gotta have a license and full leathers?
Most trackday organizations don't require an actually license although many do. Most require either full leathers or one of those kevlar suits. Many require some level of safety wiring but some don't require any.

One of the best trackday organizations I've dealth with(aside from riding while Ed Bargy has students in classroom) is Team ProMotion which is based in easter PA. They do track days at Pocono International, Beaver Run in PA, Carolina Motorsports Park, Summit Point and a couple of others if my memory serves me. They require minimal prep time and they use corner workers and ambulances. You can actuall cornerwork on a Saturday and put the money(TPM money) toward the Sunday trackday.

NESBA is another good one that does trackdays in alot of places.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 02:44 PM

Too bad I'm stuck up here in the frozen tundra

I guess I'll do some official research on Loudons trackdays and policies. When I get my new bike (maybe that honey of a Triumph) I want to turn my CBR into a track bike. Slicks, race plastic, the whole nine. But if there isn't alot of available track time at NHIS it's probably not worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode