Superbike DOA? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Superbike DOA?

Is the Superbike class terminal?

WSB has become the Ducati cup on spec tires. Only one team with direct factory support

AMA Superbike. Privateer fnished 4th (FOURTH!!) at the biggest race of the year. Honda, Ducati and Suzuki field factory teams.
Supersport bikes are turning times that would allow them to qualify for the superbike grid.

MOTO GP has become the focus of all the factories. That is where their R&D dollars are going.

What will the class look like in 2 years? Fire away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 10:47 PM

Factory support is key. Until there is more support I think the satelite teams have pretty good riders. Two good ones came from Moto GP with Haga and Gary McCoy. Veterans like Chili and Corser are still around too. I'll watch it to see if they can compete with the factory riders. If they can, I hope the Japanese Factories hire them for next year. If they do it will probably be with only limited support.

Its sad, I'm skipping Laguna Seca this year and going to Alabama instead for the AMA race. I want to get familiar with the Barber facility hoping GP comes next year.

I think the AMA Superbike will be ok with up and coming young stars Spies and Disalvo. All the Japanese Factories have pretty good 1000's now and some Yamaha or Kawasaki team will be smart to put them on a Superbike.

What is dead is 750 racing. Superstock is now 1000's too
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 01:24 PM

..and the AMA series is the Suzuki Cup, MotoGP is the Michelin Cup, Dorna buys up BSB, FGSPORT buys up AMA...sod this, I'm watching the racing...an angry Haga is a sight to see...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 11:58 PM

I dont see AMA superbike and associated ever going away. Too good for advertising in the worlds largest market. WSB is a second tier to MotoGP. When the factories are spending millions upon millions to compete in a series, they have to balance it with cuts somewhere. MotoGP is a better benefit, advertising and R&D. With WSB only racing one race in the US it makes more sense to pour into AMA.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 07:14 AM

Never thought I would say this but I think the spec tire thing has saved WSB. It appears that the factories are going to get back into the fray more now that it is possible to compete with the Ducatis. Oddly enough it was the tires that have levelled the field. Hell the Foggy/Petronis bikes are even competitive.

AMA Superbikes will be 600cc bikes in the not so distant future. Probably the 2006-2007 timeframe. Going to be interesting to see how this pans out.

My dream would be that Superbike goes to 600s then FXtreme goes away and gets replaced by the old Superteams competition again. I miss the AMA endurance racing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode