harley's vr1000, good luck or bad - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: was riding the vr1000 a career-killer
yes 1 14.29%
no 6 85.71%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
harley's vr1000, good luck or bad

it's winter, let's have fun and figure out whose career rebounded after racing harley's vr1000 and who's careers never did. and finally, let's see if you think that riding a vr1000 was ultimately a career-killer or not.

btw, i don't know everyone who raced a vr1000, so feel free to add. even if you don't know what happened post-vr1000 (i think it'd be interesting)

fritz kling--he did well in fusa afterwards, got real sick (brain cancer? raced post-illness). he spoke positively about the bike and team when i met him in 1997 or so. seemed like a great guy.

miguel duhamel--won two championships the next year. crashed at loudon real hard.

tom wilson--odd thing, three guys crashed at loudon that year and were seriously hurt. duhamel the least hurt of the three. tom wilson the second worst. wilson's injuries were part of what happened to a promising career. the other half is when he got healthy harley didn't have resources for a third bike, but wouldn't release him from his contract, so he sat out another season, out of sight, out of mind when trying to get anouther ride. great rider though. (metzger? the third, anyone know his health now???)

chris carr--won dirt track championships after the vr.

doug chandler--left harley, won 3 ama superbike championships in a row.

jamie james (non-factory)--has a restaurant or something now.

scott russell--career-ending (maybe) injuries post-vr1000.

pascal picotte--two ducati rides the next year, but with different teams . on a factory yamaha next year (in canada).

who else???

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

hmm... i thought this was a good idea...

anyway, mike smith. on again, off again sub on the factory team. i was an fbf ducati rider, subbed on the vr. he had a lot of success when he rode. is riding the 1-888-fast-lap gsx-r, won buell's ducati 748 cup in the ama. i think on the duc-shop ducati.

Tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 06:43 AM

Jordan Szoke also road the Austin Blue Bayou Harley.

I don't think the bike was a career ender but it did keep some going. The guys that road the bike were(with exception of Miguel) either on the downward career swing or trying to prove their worthyness. I think Harley started refusing to pay for proven riders and would just sign guys that were left without a ride.

Mike Smith is someone to keep an eye on. He apparently has completely changed his attitude(was a dick and impossible to work with) and is having fun again. He is one of the most talented riders the US has ever produced and can still do damage if his attitude is right.

Fritz Kling is a very nice guy but his physical size was always a hinderence. He is a pretty large fellow that can really ride.

Harley's biggest mistake was letting Miguel go. He was really helping that program get going.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

yeah, mike smith is a real talent. i've heard he was quite the asshole though. but i heard he's riding for 888-fast-lap for the second year in a row, which is the first time he's been on a team two years in a row since????

i forgot jordan szoke. i'm surprised he hasn't found a superbike ride in the states. he was real fast on the fbf ducati.

i do agree on miguel. he was doing well on it. i know smith and pascle had good rides on it too, but i think it was a better bike when they had it.

Tony

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 09:31 AM

any one would look like they did good after getting of that junk Harley's are good for one thing going slow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode