AMA is threatened with FIM removal - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
AMA is threatened with FIM removal

read it here

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by FZR400Tony; 11-27-2002 at 07:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 07:46 AM

Anybody else feel like jumping on the next flight to Switzerland?!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

it's funny, but i remember a few months ago the ama (while still working with jam productions) was talking about leaving the fim. now...

Tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:11 AM
Founder

Garage
Who needs soap operas when we have this!

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:12 AM

Tony, what's the deal?! Do you know how the AMA benefits from it's relationship w/ the FIM? It seems to me that the FIM benefits more from the AMA's support/voice than the AMA benefits from the FIM. Would a split prevent American riders from competing internationally?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
Tony, what's the deal?! Do you know how the AMA benefits from it's relationship w/ the FIM? It seems to me that the FIM benefits more from the AMA's support/voice than the AMA benefits from the FIM. Would a split prevent American riders from competing internationally?
i'm not really sure what benefit there is to being in the fim for the ama. rcjohn probably knows more about this than i do.

i know that the afm was the us fim representative for some time.

www.roadracingworld.com has ran a few stories on it. it doesn't seem like a big deal. if you run a search on supercross on the roadracingworld site, they summarize the relationship.

Tony

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 07:06 PM

The pinnacle

It is my opinion, albeit an unpopular one, that FIM is the best of the best. No where in the US does the AMA allow you to construct a totally original bike and race it against similar bikes. I compare it to F1 motor cars. You get the best engineering and the best drivers.

As far as how it benefits the AMA to be a member of the FIM: It doesn't. They are actually competing with one another.

This year I actually prefer the AMA over the FIM. In the FIM it usually starts out OK but sooon turns into a rout. Boring....! At least in the AMA the races seem closer and are better over-all races.

Just my two drachma worth,

Rich
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 01:00 PM

Rich,
Thanks for the input. I have to agree that it doesn't really seem to benefit the AMA to be a supporter of the FIM, but rather seems like a courtesy more than anything else. To be honest, I wouldn't be the least bit upset if the AMA gave the FIM its walking papers. Let's just hope that things don't get too ugly in court. And for God's sake, let's hope the FIM doesn't win 'cause that'll be the end of AMA Supercross as we know it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 02:17 PM

I would need to know a lot more on this matter. Still of interest to those that were not riding or competing PRIOR to the AMA joining up with the FIM things were a bit strange.
Like the AMA being RUN by the Harley-Davidson factory people that did some strange things. For instance they had this thing of where they flat tracked 45 cu inch SV (750cc) bikes with a low comp ratio of 6 to 1 & later 6.5 to one while we with OHV could only use 500cc & while the bikes came with 7 or 7.5 to 1 we had to lower the comp ratio.
HD realized that Indian 45 flat head bikes were actually best for 1 mile flat tracks so around '49 to '50 they banned any m/c prior to 1945 (knowing Indian had not produced a 45 flat head since '42) & in actual fact in their clause the reason one could not put in a OHC Manx Norton was because it was not street legal meaning it had no generation systm for lighting YET the new 45s were never produced for road use since '42 & so breaking their rule.
ALSO under FIM a manufacture cannot control racing in their country NOR can any motorcycle organization control the racing of ANOTHER country as well.
Still HD controlled racing in the States AND Cdn even though we had organized the Canadian Motorcycle Assoc that actually belonged to the FIM.
An American top notch racer wanting to compete in Europe needed to have an Expert license through that countries racing organizatin that was part of the FIM & in that way ALL went by the same rules & regulations.
Some of us Cdns belonged to the AMA AND CMA so we could compete in both countries & were often banned in the States due to our combined membership.
Americans that often went over to Europe to compete in the Isle of Man TT or such would join up with the CMA, obtain their Expert license & THEN apply to race over in Europe.
So one needs to study this situation a bit deeper ----- presently I feel the AMA is correct, but----------------..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode