Remembering racetracks that are now gone... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Question Remembering racetracks that are now gone...

The topic has come up in a couple different threads today...

Do you remember race tracks, big or small, that are no longer with us? Was there a track you learned to ride at that has been turned into a strip mall like Ascot Raceway in Costa Mesa, CA? Was the first track you saw a race at turned into a housing development? Has your local dragstrip grown a 3' high wall of weeds that hide the chains strung across it many years ago?

With all the years of racing and watching racing that the members of SBW have under their belts I'm sure there are more than a few of you that have memories of tracks that are now gone. I'm only 24 and, unfortunately, I can remember a handful of tracks that are no longer around. I'd like to hear some of your stories. Share 'em if you got 'em.

Last edited by slaintedan; 11-20-2002 at 12:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 02:37 PM

Fontana International Raceway.....SUNDAY!, SUNDAY!, SUNDAY!
Remember those adds for the Dragstrip in Fontana, Ca?
It is a housing tract today.

Ontario Motor Speedway. Now Ontario Mills Mall.

Riverside International Raceway. Now Moreno Valley Mall.

The Entire California High Desert. Now housing developements. (The FUC*ING Sierra Club protected the Desert from us Desert Racers only to have a developer's Caterpillar Bulldozer scrape it up and make cities out of it)

Any of this sound familiar, Slaintedan?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 05:06 PM

Never went there but it was a popular club racing venue... Bridgehampton in NYC.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by desmo079
Fontana International Raceway.....SUNDAY!, SUNDAY!, SUNDAY!
Remember those adds for the Dragstrip in Fontana, Ca?
It is a housing tract today.

Ontario Motor Speedway. Now Ontario Mills Mall.

Riverside International Raceway. Now Moreno Valley Mall.

The Entire California High Desert. Now housing developements. (The FUC*ING Sierra Club protected the Desert from us Desert Racers only to have a developer's Caterpillar Bulldozer scrape it up and make cities out of it)

Any of this sound familiar, Slaintedan?

Heck yeah it sounds familiar. In fact, the announcer who used to do Fontana's radio ads was Larry Huffman. Larry was also the announcer at Orange County Fairgrounds Speedway on Friday nights. Anybody who went to OC Speedway in the mid-'80s remembers "The Huffman Hop." He used to stand on his announcer's table right next to the start/finish gate and jump into the air and do a split. It was pretty funny to see a guy in a tux do a jumping split! Larry used to be a friend of the family and would come over for dinner sometimes. The last time I saw him was at the New York International Motorcycle Show at the Javitz Center in Manhattan last year. I walked up to him and introduced myself...he about had a heartattack 'cause the last time he saw me I was only 14. Needless to say, I've grown a bit in the past 10 years.

I remember Riverside 'cause I rode shotgun w/ Jim Fishback in the Super 1600 class for the last race at Riverside, which was an offroad race that utilized part of the roadcourse and the hills around the track. That was a ton of fun until he flipped the buggy and ended up on the roof! I don't exactly, but I think it was around '87-'88? Help me out if anybody remembers, I'm still a little dizzy from the flip! LOL Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Riverside have a big sweeping 180 degree turn where the grandstands were? I think it was turn 6?

I don't remember Ontario 'cause it closed in December of '80 (if I remember right) and I was born in April of '78, so I was a little too young to remember it. I do have pictures of my mom pushing me around the pits in a stroller.

Damn, it's so sad to see all these great tracks get turned into housing developments and mini malls!

Last edited by slaintedan; 11-20-2002 at 05:15 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 05:35 PM

In Cincinnati there was/is a 1/2 mile oval that was at one time the fastest 1/2 mile track in the world..Tri-County Speedway. The locals complained about the noise so got shut down. It's now used for a truck driving school! The farmland around it is now factories and wharehouses, nobody would care about the noise now, but the owner is making too much money renting it out to the truck driving school to reopen as a race track.

I'm happy to see VIR get reopened and very happy to see the new tracks being opened in various areas of the country. I'm really sad to see so much off-road riding acerage being shut off from riders. I'm not a dirt rider myself, but i think that it is a crying shame that my son won't be able to have the chance to ride in areas that my and my fathers taxes helped pay for. i.e. the Daniel Boone Forest among other areas.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 04:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
never got to race it, but the race track that was loudon and is now nhis. the old track looked awesome.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan

Heck yeah it sounds familiar. In fact, the announcer who used to do Fontana's radio ads was Larry Huffman. Larry was also the announcer at Orange County Fairgrounds Speedway on Friday nights. Anybody who went to OC Speedway in the mid-'80s remembers "The Huffman Hop." He used to stand on his announcer's table right next to the start/finish gate and jump into the air and do a split. It was pretty funny to see a guy in a tux do a jumping split! Larry used to be a friend of the family and would come over for dinner sometimes. The last time I saw him was at the New York International Motorcycle Show at the Javitz Center in Manhattan last year. I walked up to him and introduced myself...he about had a heartattack 'cause the last time he saw me I was only 14. Needless to say, I've grown a bit in the past 10 years.

I remember Riverside 'cause I rode shotgun w/ Jim Fishback in the Super 1600 class for the last race at Riverside, which was an offroad race that utilized part of the roadcourse and the hills around the track. That was a ton of fun until he flipped the buggy and ended up on the roof! I don't exactly, but I think it was around '87-'88? Help me out if anybody remembers, I'm still a little dizzy from the flip! LOL Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Riverside have a big sweeping 180 degree turn where the grandstands were? I think it was turn 6?

I don't remember Ontario 'cause it closed in December of '80 (if I remember right) and I was born in April of '78, so I was a little too young to remember it. I do have pictures of my mom pushing me around the pits in a stroller.

Damn, it's so sad to see all these great tracks get turned into housing developments and mini malls!
HOT DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've known Jim SR. and JR. for about 30 years. Went on many Baja rides with SR. when I was a pup. I Raced Dist. 37 Desert when JR. was winning races on a C-Z. I worked for SR. at his scrapyard when I was in Law School.

I was working there when JR. won his Gold Medal at the I.S.D.T.

Remember when JR. rode Speedway? His racing name was Jim "The Animal" Fishback.

Yeah, that big sweeper at Riverside was Turn 9. My father raced there in the '50s with his Mercedes-Benz 300SL in SCCA races.

Jim JR. lives about 5 blocks from me now. When he drops by (always un-announced), he rides his street bike up onto the lawn and honks the horn. Who needs doorbells?

If you do come to So. Cal. let me know.

desmo
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by desmo079

HOT DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've known Jim SR. and JR. for about 30 years. Went on many Baja rides with SR. when I was a pup. I Raced Dist. 37 Desert when JR. was winning races on a C-Z. I worked for SR. at his scrapyard when I was in Law School.

I was working there when JR. won his Gold Medal at the I.S.D.T.

Remember when JR. rode Speedway? His racing name was Jim "The Animal" Fishback.

Yeah, that big sweeper at Riverside was Turn 9. My father raced there in the '50s with his Mercedes-Benz 300SL in SCCA races.

Jim JR. lives about 5 blocks from me now. When he drops by (always un-announced), he rides his street bike up onto the lawn and honks the horn. Who needs doorbells?

If you do come to So. Cal. let me know.

desmo
Holy $hit it's a SMALL WORLD!!!!!! Of course I remember "The Animal" crashing his speedway bike just about every time he got on it! LOL He's the first guy I ever saw do a 360 on a speedway bike during a race, unintentionally of course. He's a really cool guy and a real throw-back to the era of the true So.Cal racer of the '70s-'80s. Next time you see/talk to him ask him if he remembers Dennis Greene from Cycle News. It's been a long time since they saw eachother, I'm curious if he remembers my dad.

Thanks for the invite, I'll definitely have to make a stop by your place when I'm in Cali next.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by kyrex1
I'm happy to see VIR get reopened........
I second that! What a beautiful facility! Have you seen the plans for VIR in the near future? They're planning a rally/off-road course, GoKart track, and a few other things that are gonna make it an amazing facility!!! I can't wait to go there next summer!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 04:22 PM

In addition to the tracks that Des discribed, what about Ascot Park in Gardena Ca...which is now a insurance auction place... And some of the smaller dirt tracks in so. cali..like Trojan Speedway in Southgate, or El Toro Speedway in you guessed it..El Toro...Corona Raceway, in Corona.. Too bad the US doesn't support racing the way Euro countries do..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode