The great shifter debate...(AMA) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

The great shifter debate...(AMA)

11/19/2002
AMA Pro Advisory Board Voted 8-3 Against Quick-shifters

Copyright 2002, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

AMA Pro Racing's Road Race Advisory Board members voted 8-3 against making electric quick-shifters legal in the Supersport and Superstock classes.

According to a recent memo mailed to advisory board members, the vote was 8-3.

For unknown reasons, AMA Pro Racing then added votes from AMA employees Merrill Vanderslice, Rob King and Ron Barrick. Vanderslice and King voted for allowing quick-shifters while Barrick voted against, making the combined total 9-5 against.

Despite the no vote, the proposal has continued to move towards becoming a rule for 2003.

So what do you guys think of this? I personally disagree with the use of electronic shifters in the "Superstock" class...a class which is SUPPOSED to be a level playing field between factory and Privateer bikes. Yes, an electronic shifter is only about $500-600, but if you ride for a smaller team, that's 3-4 sets of tires!

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 04:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
ama does a lot of stuff to ease the expensive to the privateer, that really increase costs.

i think that the $500-600 figure is pretty high. i think that's what a KLS shifter costs (a lot of factory teams used them). you can find electric shifters for way less. holeshot shifters were about $200. and the shift that staurt (i can't think of his last name, broken back, wheel chair-bound racer) uses is $300. it's a modified atv shifter that rotates the output shaft. and the yosh ems add-on it real cheap, once you go through the initial ems expensive.

further, the electric shifter is easier on the transmission and reduces the chance of a mis-shift. last time i checked, a new transmission is way more expensive than an electric shifter.

and let's be honest, they won't split the cases (too expensive). they'll buy a used motor, and pull the pistons out of it and swap the heads. this is a greater expense now with the new gsx-r, because you can't swap the cylinders like a normal sportbike.

that's my take on electric shifters.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 04:27 PM

They really aren't that big of a deal. They don't have anything to do with the shift itself. All they do is kill the ignition for a split second during the shift so that you don't have to let off the throttle when powering down the straights.

When we had trouble the the KLS on the FXtreme bikes and the Superbikes it really didn't have and impact on lap times. If the rider had a problem with it he would just turn it off. It seems to be more of a comfort thing and can reduce some of the fatigue and does lessen the chance of a mis-shift.

I actually think they would be more beneficial to the privateers in some cases. Many can benefit from anything that helps there smoothness whereas most of the pros and top privateers are already at a skill level where the shifter doesn't really matter that much, it's more of a mental thing at that level.

That being said, I don't think they should be legal. It is unnecessary expense and if the "pros" are using them then the privateers are going to want to spend the money for one.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

further, the electric shifter is easier on the transmission and reduces the chance of a mis-shift. last time i checked, a new transmission is way more expensive than an electric shifter.

You have a very good point here. One that I hadn't considered before. But I usually don't need to rebuild my tranny untill almost the end of the season. I can usually make it last through the last race, (USUALLY.)

My point is that this is SUPERSTOCK. A class that is supposed to put "lightly" modified bikes from each manufacturer against one another, y'know? I can rebuild my tranny very easily, and it's relatively cheap, as I get parts for next to nothing from a local dealer.

I just think that if they (the AMA) wanted to make a change to the class, why wouldn't they allow slicks? We have to buy tires anyway, right?

I dunno, I really just wanted everyone's feedback on this subject. I'm not trying to say that any one person is wrong in their opinions. I really appreciate the feedback. The way it looks right now, I'm going to go back to SCCA GT-2. It's just too hard to find the right sponsorships for bikes the way the economy is. Besides, I'm much better at racing a car than a motorcycle. But I may do a litte club racing and maybe try to qualify for (AMA) Daytona. WITHOUT an electric shifter. Tommy gained almost a full second with his shifter a few years ago. (OOPS, DID I LET THAT SECRET SLIP?!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode