Rossi vs. Barros? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: Who's the better rider, Rossi or Barros?
Valentino Rossi 9 60.00%
Alex Barros 4 26.67%
Other rider 0 0%
Don't care 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Question Rossi vs. Barros?

The question was posed in another thread...

Who do you feel is the better rider, Valentino Rossi or Alex Barros?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barros and rossi 1.jpg (17.7 KB, 92 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 03:44 PM

Talking I'm demanding residuals!

I dunno which one is the better rider, since it's hard to tell until you put 'em both on equal equipment. Methinks Barros showed Rossi ain't as great as some make him out to be, since he gave him hell after finally getting (close) to equal equipment at the end of the year. Heck, Barros had to jump from a 500cc 2-stroke to a 1000 cc 4 stroke with little chance to test/adjust! Rossi's been riding the 4 stroke for quite a while.

I kinda think Rossi has hit MotoGP during a bit of a lull, some/most? caused by rule changes. Kinda reminds me of when Mick Doohan was winning everything. Sure Doohan was a great rider, but he didn't have to battle multiple riders as in the Schwantz/Rainey/Lawson/Gardner/Spencer days. Doohan probably didn't come into his own until the group above had left GP. It's a shame Doohan didn't have someone to push him, as the aforementioned group did.

BTW...I voted for Barros based on his results in the last few races, 'specially since he was new to the bike. If you can believe reports, Barros' biggest problem sounds mental-it's reported sometimes he shows up ready to race, sometimes not!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

I do have to agree with you that Barros is a great rider who hasn't had equal time on the RC211V. Rossi himself said that Barros forces him to ride at 110%. However, Rossi's only been on the new bike for about a 1 year and he's such a great, young talent that I'm sure he'll learn how to beat Barros very quickly. It seems that the every time I see Rossi ride he improves from the race before. He's a great talent! Plus, he already knows what it feels like to be in front of Barros (see picture).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barros and rossi 3.jpg (12.2 KB, 73 views)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 05:44 PM

There's no doubt that Barros is riding well, but I don't know if that will last. If the Yamaha is inferior to the Honda, this will affect Barros' confidence and in turn affect his riding.
There is no doubt that he is the king on the brakes. At the Sepang round when he was about 20meters in front of Ukawa he was still braking half a second later
I will be interested to see how Abe goes, as he is another veteran rider taking to the 4 stroke. He was the most consistant Yamaha 2 stroke this year, although his 4 stroke debut wasn't very good, He maybe able to pull a few upsets in 03.
2003 will have a quality field of riders, and be much more even as far as machinery is concerned. I think it will mark the end of Rossi's easy victories and consistancy will pay off more than reckless efforts for a race win.
For me the title is between Rossi and Biaggi, because they are great riders, they are on hondas and Repsol and Pons are the best crews in the paddock.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 09:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
barros has made myself appear to be the better teammate over 2-4 race spans in a season.

he did it with suzuki and schwantz

he did it with honda and doohan

he did it with honda and creville (sp?)

he's done it with honda and doohan now.

the problem is, he hasn't done it for a season. not even half a season.

when he's doing great, he's untouchable. but he's rarely doing great.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyDazzler
There's no doubt that Barros is riding well, but I don't know if that will last. If the Yamaha is inferior to the Honda, this will affect Barros' confidence and in turn affect his riding......
Maybe I misread your post, but do you know that Barros is riding a Honda RC211V now?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 07:22 PM

http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld...sp?insert=4642

barros signed with the tuning fork crew for '03

Tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 10:18 AM

Hmm...I think it's to early to tell..I think Barros needs a whole season on his current bike to tell if he will consistantly give Rossi a hard time...I couldn't pick one or the other...Is it April yet.....????

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by FZR400Tony
http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld...sp?insert=4642

barros signed with the tuning fork crew for '03
News flash to Dan! I hadn't heard about Barros going to Yami. I don't know how Barros, even with all of his talent, will be able to compete with Rossi who is on the far-superior machine! I do know that next year is gonna be fun to watch!!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
News flash to Dan! I hadn't heard about Barros going to Yami. I don't know how Barros, even with all of his talent, will be able to compete with Rossi who is on the far-superior machine! I do know that next year is gonna be fun to watch!!!
some think that the yamaha is the better bike, just less riders and data sharing. last top speed numbers i saw showed the yamaha had greater top speed. unfortunately, the only guys capable of judging which is the better handling bike would never get the chance.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode