Perception of Riders - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Perception of Riders

Folks,

I'd like your opinions on what you think the general public think about us riders? What is their perception of us? I suppose a lot will lump us w/ other biker types, i.e., HD, non-sportbike, etc. Do you think the general public distinguishes between sportbike and non-sportbike riders? What kind of lifestyle do you think they think we lead? I wonder if they even realize that a good chunk of the sportbike riders have a bachelor's degree, etc. w/ respectable jobs, etc. (as evidenced by our informal poll we had here some time ago.) What is your perception as a sportbike rider of sportbike riders? Positives as well as negatives, welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 03:06 PM

Here's the East Coast perspective...

Living in New York you find that, most commonly, the majority of sportbike riders in the 5 boroughs are the "gangsta" type. You know, ruff ridaz. LOL You get a lot of young guys flossin' on their Gixxers w/ their chromed half-shell helmets, T-Shirts, sneakers, and chains. It's all about the "gangsta" image. Unfortunately, the public's perception of sportbike riders (in the 5 boroughs) is in keeping with their perception of "gangstas." However, once you get out of the boroughs and into the suburbs the majority of the riders are (usually) serious riders who wear full gear and ride well, like me. The perception of sportbike riders outside of the city is mixed, but generally positive. All in all, I'd say that once you get out of the city you're pretty well-respected by most people. However, riding in the city is a COMPLETELY different story! I'll save those stories for another thread.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 03:14 PM

Dan, you said it all! Living in southern westchester I run into a strange mix of the gangsta's and the good riders, I think more gangsta style though.

I'm a little cautious about meeting sportbike riders. I really don't like all those punk ass ricer type riders who are doing it for image. So often I've actually caught myself saying that the bad opinion a lot of the public has about sportbikes is well deserved. While lots of us are great responsible riders, its more than just a few bad apples that make us look bad. There's a significant percentage of squids out there.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 03:58 PM

So Cal

A recent L.A. Times article discussed sportbike riders and, basically painted us as "Adrenaline Junkies" who rip mindlessly fast on twistie roads in the hills above L.A. The article made harley riders seem like heros

As usual, it is the handful of irresponsible riders who give us all a bad name in the publics eye.

I am not aware of any "gangsta" riders, but ther may be some in downtown L.A.

I think when a sportbike rider (even dressed in proper gear) passes a cager at warp speeds, it startles them and that gives us a bad name. I am sure that a sportbiker that is dressed in a racing one-piece suit with full-face helmet, racing boots and gloves gives a rather intimidating appearance to the uninitiated John Q. Public even when at 0mph.

Not much we can do about it when we are dressed like that, except to try to be outgoing, courteous and helpful. When I am dressed like that and little children are looking at me I say to the parents "He/She thinks I'm a Power Ranger"

IMHO
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 04:45 PM

Not to many 'Posers' in this area. A small number that do wheelies, but in average most are sensible riders.
Something I will never do is go to where some or even one rider is doing wheelies, stoppies, etc., & giving him what he wants-----onlookers. Also I degrade anyone that is a stunter on public hwys & simply ignore them. After all they are degrading the average m/cist.
Still in my area for every sportbike I will sport something like 20 to 40 Hogs or Cruisers.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 05:28 PM

signature

Smitty:

I have been a SBW member for over a year now and I don't think I have told you how very much I like (and believe in) your signature.

It would make a great bumper sticker!

desmo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode