GP in the USA? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

GP in the USA?

Does anyone know why there isn't a Gp race in the US. Is it market size, no tracks worthy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 07:52 AM

I 'm almost sure it is a track problem.If you look at the gp and WSB tracks they look super safe,alot of run off room compared to walls here in the US at most some tracks.

I'm sure RCJohn can help us on this one but that is my feelings on it!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 02:15 PM

Dennis Noyes(among others) were working to bring the GP back to the US a couple of years ago. They were looking to have it a Road America in Wisconsin. There were some track issues that needed to be worked out and were very close to an agreement. There is typically several issues to be worked out:

track safety and layout,

promoter money/exposure,

logistics of the area(airports, shipping ports, hotels, etc.).

According to those working on the deal, all of the issues couldn't be worked out in time but they were very confident the the GP would make its way back to the US.

The FIM inspectors have already been to the new facility in Birmingham, AL(Barber raceway or whatever it will be called). It is being built in compliance with FIM safety rules. My guess is that there will be a USGP by the 2005 season. Our market is growing for such racing thanks to SpeedTV.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 03:27 PM

i go to every race i can,and have yet to see

over flow of people attending road races..a good example is the toyota 200..jason pridmore riding a attack suzuki gsx-r1000 blew every one into the few weeds that are trying to grow in rosamond(willow springs raceway)..in front of a crowd you could throw a blanket over...really sad...and i believe he took $30k for winning this race. this was the mosr exciting race i have attended..granted laguna seca draws a crowd, but only cause of the world super bike and ama in one place..

if and when a gp race comes to america i would hope they could find a track worthy of this race..not one covered with tar sealer strips or patches...some grass would be nice....any one see the gp race in japan today on tv.......we really suck when it comes to race tracks...
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 06:51 PM

the Barber Motorsports facility will be worthy of a GP race, but it still won't happen there or anywhere else in the US. Why? MONEY! It is a million dollar investment for a promotor to bring the GP circus to the US. This is an investment that no promotor can afford based on expected attendence. There is no where in this this country currently that you would expect to see 100,000 fans show up for a GP race. Yes i know that they have that number show up for the combined WSB/AMA weekend at Leguna Seca, but that is two major racing series combined for a weekend!
The GP would be ONE race on Sunday, with practice, qualifying, and 2 support races in classes that are not at all popular in the US. It would just be to much a gamble for any promotor to do it. I really wish someone would do it, but I don't see it happening anytime in the forseable future. Heck, they can't even find enough promotors to really fill out the AMA schedule for a year.

patrick
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 07:50 PM

I would like to say I agree with RCJohn on this one, but I'm going to agree with kyrex1 instead.

RCJohn I heard all of the rumors that you heard about Road America and I've been there before it is a very nice layout.

However, Kyrex1 is right. The attendance is crucial. AMA and Formula USA combined couldn't pack the stands with 100,000+ fans especially when you include the supporting races too(125GP and 250GP). No one wants to see the "little bikes".

I've been to AMA Brainerd, AMA Road America, and AMA Daytona and never have I seen anywhere close to 100,000 fans like each of the europian tracks see regularly.

What about a AMA/GP weekend at Daytona??? Good location, ports, most likely place to pack in 100,000. But would GPers want to race on the high banks? I don't think so.

Goose
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 07:14 AM

Daytona would not meet FIM safety requirements.

Keep in mind guys, some of the information I provided was directly from the promoter himself. Everyone is dead on though, money is the main issue but the promoters aren't expecting to make a ton of money initially.

Not every GP brings in 100,000 fans. There are a couple that bring in less than 60,000 which Road Atlanta exceeded this year at the AMA(supposedly). GP will bring in more fans than the AMA, you can pretty much count on that. Remember, Europeans look for excuses to vacation in the US just like we like to go to Europe. Damn, Hockenheim was fun. BTW, those support class races are alot of fun to watch.

The track is another big issue. Road Atlanta has improved its viewing situation and Road America and VIR with closed circuit TV would be good locations too. I would expect that one of those three or Barber will be the ones hosting a race in the US in the not so distant future.

Motorcycles are becoming more mainstreem in the US and all of the Jap manufacturers are pushing children and women with their promotions and that is a good thing. Children like racetracks.

Hell, Suzuki sponsored the football scoreboard this weekend on ESPN.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 08:15 AM

Yeh the crowd at Road Atlanta was great!I will being making plans to go back this year,this time I will drive the cage!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 04:58 PM

RCJohn, I hope you are right. I would think that either Road Atlanta or Barber would be the choices for one main reason. They are with a 1 day driving/ridiing distance of the greatest number of potential fans. I don't think that road america or any of the west coast tracks are located in the right area. 2/3 of the population in the US can reach Atlanta with a few hours of flying time and over half of the population is within 10hrs of driving time.
I have never been to either track, but I am going down to Atlanta in 3 weeks for the WERA grand nationals, and I plan to ride down to Barber this coming spring. I'm hoping to attend the Big Kahuna next year also.

patrick
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 05:46 PM

Laguna-Seca is the only place to have the GP bikes. I went there in the 80`s GP races it was great and now that they are upgrading the track it will be even better. Nothing better than sittin at the corkscrew watching them fly....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode