Ben Bostrom's '03 plans - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: should ben ride for the ama honda team
oh yes!!! honda is the best, if you have the opportunity to ride for them you take it, no matter what 1 9.09%
it's a smart move. he sucked on michelins and you need them to win in worldsuperbike 3 27.27%
who's ben bostrom? why do i care if he lives or dies??? 0 0%
no, he took the easy way out. colin edwards is pissed and so am i 4 36.36%
no, he could you see him on an aprilia? he would've dominated!!! 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Ben Bostrom's '03 plans

what's your take on ben bostrom leaving world superbike?

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

personally, i pretty mad at him. i've been a big fan of his since he rode the zero gravity hondas. remember those? 1996 actually.

he should have taken a lesser ride and proved himself, again. going with honda in the us is just kinda like packing it in and giving.

i don't know how well he's gonna do in the us either. i believe eric is most likely the fast ama regular in 2002 (nicky's bike was a lot better). and gobert back on a ducati and swearing no more twinkies?!?

i just think ben is looking for a little spark. and i don't know if this is where he'll find it.

he could've easily pulled a scott russell. take an off-week and race a national event just to get the feel of winning again. russell did it in 93 on his way to a championship. ben probably could've borrowed an hmc bike (especially when doug was hurt). could've made the difference. it's too bad. he should be there.

http://www.amasuperbike.com/2002-Oct/021001b.htm may add some insight...

Tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by FZR400Tony; 10-02-2002 at 11:05 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 11:57 AM

I was at that race in 93. Russell flew in to the states, headed to the track Thurs., asked Rob Muzzy if he could ride then in short order broke the lap record on Tiger Showa's backup bike. Sunday he lapped all the way up to third in pouring rain. Russell and Jamie James put on a wet riding clinic that day.

BTW, Ben will win the AMA Championship next year on the Honda.

I didn't vote. None of the choices are accurate. I'm sure it was a money issue. Honda appears to have given him a well paying contract with some damn good future options in it. He needed to get back into the Honda fold if he wants an evetual GP ride. Of the choices given I would go with the first.

Last edited by RCjohn; 10-02-2002 at 12:00 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn
I was at that race in 93. Russell flew in to the states, headed to the track Thurs., asked Rob Muzzy if he could ride then in short order broke the lap record on Tiger Showa's backup bike. Sunday he lapped all the way up to third in pouring rain. Russell and Jamie James put on a wet riding clinic that day.

BTW, Ben will win the AMA Championship next year on the Honda.
that was classic scott russell. the closest anyone has ever come in my opinion of having a weekend like that was when gobert realized he couldn't sit loudon out and win the championship. flew in sat on pole. but russell finished it off.

it's too bad loudon really fell apart the way it did. i love the place.

as for the championship, if they let the real superbikes have a one-year waiver, i think bostrom will win the championship, but it'll be eric. the guy is so good. i hope if ben does win it, he doesn't win it like he did 98. it almost seemed like he won the championship just because he showed up every weekend. which is too bad, he deserved to win it in better fashion.

Tony

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 01:18 PM

If they keep the rules in favor of the twins then Ben will beat Eric. The bike is going to be enough. I think Ben will be very hungry. I actually hope Eric wins it though.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 02:43 PM

I think I'm in line with FZR400Tony's thinking....

I think Eric is the man in AMA Superbikes right now. I think if he had equal machinery, he would have easily won the title this year.

The kid is damn good. He rides with a dogged determination that I don't think Ben has. I'm really surprised Eric didn't get a ride in Europe but I guess he's got some options with his new Kawasaki deal.

Honestly, I think Eric would have been a better choice than Nicky for the GP ride (although I still think it belongs to Colin). I think the world of Nicky. He's an incredible talent. Just think others might have been picked first.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 03:46 PM

I've been saying Eric was the more talented Bostrom brother since the days of the 883 Sportster class in the AMA. I do think that the Honda is going to be good enough to close the gap if(and it's a big if) Ben gets the hunger back.

I certainly hope he gets a new woman though. The European girlfriend just doesn't quite have the looks of Leeann Tweedan.

It's going to be strange to see how things unfold. It is looking like Yoshimura is going to be doing Supersport and FXtreme along with Yamaha. It may be Eric, Miguel, Ben & Kurtis lapping Superstock machinery next year. AMA Pro Racing can kiss my ass.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn

I certainly hope he gets a new woman though. The European girlfriend just doesn't quite have the looks of Leeann Tweedan.
Someone was telling me that Ben's riding is proportional to his relationships. Maybe his girl getting hurt in that boating accident scarred his season.

Last edited by jj2f1; 10-08-2002 at 04:33 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:45 PM

Thumbs down

Personally I think Ben is riding like a real loser. I don't think Honda would ever take a chance on sending him to MotoGP no matter how good he does in AMA.
He has been consistantly flogged by Hodgson on a lesser bike, and his aversion to Michellins will probably guarantee he will never win a world title.
I'd like to see Eric ride the Kwaka GP bike, I'm not sure that Andrew Pitt has enough experience to get the most out of it yet.(I think your first race on slicks shouldn't really be in the MotoGP class )
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 04:06 PM

Eric will win the AMA title this year!Well I hope so anyway,if it is up to who the better rider is well to me Eric is the best rider in the ama!Eric will not start slow this season ,he has the seup now so he should fly from the start.Last season he gave Nickey too much of a lead while trying to adjust to his new setup,if not for that Eric would have be champ this past year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode