colin vs. troy and me stirring up some crap - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
colin vs. troy and me stirring up some crap

i was reading an interview with ce2 (colin edwards ii). and it seems to me that he has put ink to paper with ducati for 2003.

if that's the case, it means that if he wins ducati gets the #1 plate. if course honda gets a year of advertising. but they have rossi and a team that will continue. so how much advertising do you think they would lose?

so here's my thought. it makes sense for honda to want to win this year's championship. honda gets to say we won the championship and we want to leave on top (just like they did with mclaren and senna in f1). of course, some people, myself included, think they pulled out because the cost of beating the new, rising manufacturers would be too great. kinda like in wsb.

edwards' motivation has to be to bring the #1 plate to ducati. a great to honda for signing nicky to gp (especially if honda continues with a smaller budget). of course, he could just as easily pack it in and let them go out losers, but i think we can see that's not in the cards for ce2.

bayliss' motivation is to leave the series that once spit on him as one of the most dominate forces to ever race the class.

but where's ducati's motivation to give bayliss the speed to beat the honda's. unlike many first-year superbikes, the 999 will have more of its teething problems sorted out for next year.

is letting honda grab some 2002 limelight against their (at least 8 year old) platform really giving up a lot? compared to letting honda win and get to run print ads with the new 999 superbike with big old #1 plates on it.

also, ce2 is where anthony gobert was at at one point. he was the guy who was going to world superbike. foggy's teammate. everyone knew the deal was done. he thought the deal was done. then one day he finds himself looking in and ben bostrom with his ride!!! so maybe ce2 is thinking about that.

btw, very little of this is based in fact, just a thought. now if they announce that wwe will be the new title sponsor, i might think differently.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 08:49 AM

The riders and teams are competitors first and foremost so I look to see Castrol and CE going for the win and the #1 regardless of where it is placed next year.

Ducati will be the same.

Colin has always had positive thoughts about the Castrol team even when they were struggling. It was always "problems with what they were being given" so I think he is dedicated to his team. Based on the most recent portions of his interviews he hinted to some things in the works when asked about his team so don't be surprised to see Colin and a major portion of the Castrol team wearing red shirts and eating pasta next year... hell, they are going away too since Honda is pulling out of WSB. Catrol has been one of the most established a relatively consistant teams for a few years and InfoStrada Ducati also being very consistant.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

My opinion is that Colin has not inked a deal with Ducati because he wants certain people included in the deal. Hopefully we will know soon.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

lead moderator,

trust me, i'm saying that any team would go out there and drop a championship. that'd be insane. but you have to admit, the temptation is there for ducati.

i couldn't see bayliss throwing away a season on purpose, the only way he'll throw away a season is if he tosses his bike down the road trying to win.

but it was this interview that made me wonder is maybe, just maybe ducati wasn't thinking about things from a marketing perspective.

http://www.amasuperbike.com/2002-Sep/020920a.htm

the interview makes it sound like it is a done deal. but racers are weird when it comes to contract time. like when ferrari announced that they had schumacher. michael ran around like a madman saying that there was no deal, he's dedicated to his team, etc.

Tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 11:00 AM

I think Honda would be more inclined to throw it rather than Ducati. Honda is probably not happy with CE's comments whereas Ducati will still have Bayliss riding the Ducs. They could get plenty of advertising out of it. Hell, the engines are basically the same as what is in the 999 so there would still be some marketing benefit.

I would say that the idea has crossed at least some minds at HRC and Corse though.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

speaking of honda's future in superbike, how is your season going on the '51? still racing?

mine has been crap!!! two seasons in a row i've had brake failures. it's getting old.

Tony

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FZR400Tony
speaking of honda's future in superbike, how is your season going on the '51? still racing?

mine has been crap!!! two seasons in a row i've had brake failures. it's getting old.
My season pretty much ended at the Cycle Jam at VIR. The broken collar bone put a stop to it for awhile. I started back to riding about two months ago. I will probably try to do a couple of track days this year and will probably do more racing next season. When I broke my collar bone we decided it would be a good time for Laura to start her Day Spa business since I wouldn't be blowing money racing.

Her webpage is www.therapeuticbalance.com check it out.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 01:15 PM

i would fully expect that colin will go out to try and win the championship. bayliss will not throw it away either, so, we can look forward to a very exciting race.
next year has many ??????
who is going where? what manufactures are going to be competing? 2003 is looking somewhat dismal as far as the participation is concerned! the support races will be more exciting simply because there will be more manufactures.
Also, the AMA is still undecided regarding the final superbike rules!!!!!
MotoGP will have the most diverse field of machines.
we shall see
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn

My season pretty much ended at the Cycle Jam at VIR. The broken collar bone put a stop to it for awhile. I started back to riding about two months ago. I will probably try to do a couple of track days this year and will probably do more racing next season. When I broke my collar bone we decided it would be a good time for Laura to start her Day Spa business since I wouldn't be blowing money racing.

sorry about the crash, i must have missed that post or had another memory failure. probably the latter.

the site looks good. i like the color combo, easy on the eyes.

just one ?, what's a pretty girl like that doing with you?

Tony

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 12:10 PM
Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn
Come on, be honest. That's your sister.

Like Tony said very easy on the eyes, and the design is nice too!

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

Come on, be honest. That's your sister.

Like Tony said very easy on the eyes, and the design is nice too!
She's not my sister... remember that I'm from out west.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode