Flight Sims? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Flight Sims?

I'm looking for a PC-based flight sim that has military aircraft available. I had the Microsoft Flight Sim X demo for a while, but it didn't look like it included fighters. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 03:20 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Do you want a Combat sim, or a Flight Sim with fighters? I'll go ahead and make a few recommendations:

FSX is really cool, and the expandability is almost unrivaled (add-on aircraft, scenery, missions, etc...some are free, some you gotta buy). It's relatively realistic, and they have an official expansion pack (Acceleration) that includes an F/A-18 and you can do carrier ops (somewhat tricky). As far as a "whole package" sim, this is where it's at. Only downside is that even if you do get the fighters, there's nobody to fight.

X-Plane is another one that has been pretty good at giving you a wide variety of aircraft and scenery. I haven't bought a new version for a couple years, and it always has felt a little too fake. But, judging by this video, it has come a long way and I'm excited to try it out again.

If you're looking for a combat sim, look no further than LoMAC. It's a couple years old, you can get it cheap, but it is awesome. I can't get enough of buzzing around in the A-10 mowing down tanks with that monster cannon.

There is also an open-source sim called Flight Gear that looks promising, but for some reason I have never been able to run it on any of my systems. If you've got a thoroughbred pc, you might give it a shot. Free stuff is always good, right?

Hope that helps you some.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

I was originally looking at flight sims with fighters, but then.. it's just like you mentioned... No one to fight. I'm not against having two separate sims, though. I spent quite a bit of time searching around last night. I didn't come across LoMAC, though. I'll have to check that out. Do they have add-ons for that, too?

I came across flight gear. That same website is where I found most of the FS2004 add-ons, too. I don't have a Thoroughbred computer. Do people still buy PCs from stores? I built mine for Video and audio editing.

post #4 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Wow, that video looks amazing in detail! I have to admit, though... I could care less about flying commercial airliners.

EDIT: I am on lomac's website... They only have like 7 flyable planes?

Last edited by ZX6R1033; 04-17-2008 at 01:20 PM.
post #5 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

They do have 1 or 2 expansion packs for LoMAC. And yes, there's only 7 flyable aircraft. IMHO, they did an awesome job with the physics for having that many aircraft. Usually the more planes, the more "cookie-cutter" they get with flight physics and stuff. But you can definitely tell the difference between, say, the MiG-29 and the Su-27 (especially when you execute Pugachev's Cobra). Many flight sims would not feel any different. I think you can get it really cheap now, and it's still probably the best combat FS out there at the moment. I'd recommend that, and FSX just for the entertainment value of the missions. Especially the Red Bull air racing. That shit is intense. I'm about ready to buy TrackIR just to finish those missions.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #6 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
They do have 1 or 2 expansion packs for LoMAC. And yes, there's only 7 flyable aircraft. IMHO, they did an awesome job with the physics for having that many aircraft. Usually the more planes, the more "cookie-cutter" they get with flight physics and stuff. But you can definitely tell the difference between, say, the MiG-29 and the Su-27 (especially when you execute Pugachev's Cobra). Many flight sims would not feel any different. I think you can get it really cheap now, and it's still probably the best combat FS out there at the moment. I'd recommend that, and FSX just for the entertainment value of the missions. Especially the Red Bull air racing. That shit is intense. I'm about ready to buy TrackIR just to finish those missions.

hahah sweet!

How do you like your Saitek X52? Any regrets in purchasing that one over a different one?
post #7 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Man, I'd buy FS2004 just for the sole purpose of being able to fly This!!

Or maybe This.

I'm actually thinking about building another computer from scratch just specifically for flight sims. I want to get a decent sized monitor, too... Build a cockpit and what not.

Yea, I'm a geek.
post #8 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 04:31 AM
Lifetime Premium

I like the X52. It's got some cool functions that other controllers didn't have. Plus it looks cool as hell, and the hand rest on the stick is adjustable (I have small hands, and on other sticks I sometimes have a hard time jockeying between the pinkie button and the "pickle" button.

Prior to getting that, I was a CH freak. I had the Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals USB combo. Try to program and remember 40 different buttons. Not to mention it didn't have the knobs/wheel/thumb mouse that the X52 has. But if I do have one complaint about both of the above controllers, it's the lack of any real spring tension. It's not noticeable unless you're trying to pull off some precise maneuvers and end up going too far cause there's so little resistance. But that's really only pissed me off a couple times .

BTW, X-Plane comes with the SR-71, and the space shuttle if you want to try your hand at reentry (that can be kind of tricky but I like doing the final descent to Edwards in bad weather...unrealistic but challenging). The designer has also modeled the Martian atmosphere, so you can see what it is like to fly there. Here is an example of some aircraft you can download for X-plane.

And I believe that any FS2004 is useable in FSX so you're ahead to go that route.

I needs to build me a computer once I get moved into my house.

-Will Rogers

Last edited by snakesht; 04-18-2008 at 05:47 AM.
post #9 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

I don't see the SR-71 on that page, but I see a lot of my other favorites.

I gave a lot of thought to my cockpit setup last night. I also searched around, and it turns out that what I had in mind is nowhere near as geeky as a great deal of the stuff out there. There are actually people who have salvaged real cockpits, and designed a true to life cockpit with working gauges, displays, and crap. they have anywhere from 3 to 8 monitors and banks of computers to run them. Crazy. They also gave me a lot of ideas, though. I like the way the multi-monitor systems look.
post #10 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

The SR-71 has been included in every version I can remember. It wouldn't be on that page I linked to. That's add-ons. It usually has an SR-71, a tiltrotor (now the V-22), a harrier, a space shuttle, and many others. Total included aircraft for V.9 is supposed to be 40.

-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode