Doom III - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 02:00 PM

Hmmm, well when i bought the board, it was $500. I was thinking about the long run though (i.e> not updating my gaming rig for at least 4 months, so i wanted something that could keep up for a bit) i would check pricewatch. They have outstand prices. Once built my sister a computer for 400 bucks from parts off of that site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 06:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to sisqo
Quote:
Originally posted by QuickCoCo1
Hmmm, well when i bought the board, it was $500. I was thinking about the long run though (i.e> not updating my gaming rig for at least 4 months, so i wanted something that could keep up for a bit) i would check pricewatch. They have outstand prices. Once built my sister a computer for 400 bucks from parts off of that site.
Thanks man, I will definetely be looking into it .

You have the right to remain silent and errrm open your legs furrr me. -drunk friend and oblivious female-
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 05:13 AM
Strength and Honor

Being a pretty busy person, I have time for one game a year. Doom 3 is this year's game (tho I'll get HL 2 for next year ).

I've got a REALLY old video card, and have to play at Low detail level, but still love the game.

The key, IMHO? Playing in a dark room, at night, in a quiet house with the sound turned up (4.1 or more speakers, of course ). It has freaked me in more than a few spots.

But I'm biased b/c I'm an old-school FPS player. I've seen its birth to its current form and am impressed by the influence the Doom and HL series have had on the genre

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
Being a pretty busy person, I have time for one game a year. Doom 3 is this year's game (tho I'll get HL 2 for next year ).

I've got a REALLY old video card, and have to play at Low detail level, but still love the game.

The key, IMHO? Playing in a dark room, at night, in a quiet house with the sound turned up (4.1 or more speakers, of course ). It has freaked me in more than a few spots.

But I'm biased b/c I'm an old-school FPS player. I've seen its birth to its current form and am impressed by the influence the Doom and HL series have had on the genre
LOL, you're not kidding about the sound. My wife doesn't play much video games, and one night, I turned out the lights, turned up my 5.1 surround, and had her try and kill the cyberdemon at the very end..........she got up screaming and started to cry once he started walking towards her shooting those rockets. LMFAO.

Still hated the A.I. I like HL2 a lot more because of how smart the A.I. is. I still think the graphics are much better too on HL2.

I am like you kanswisch.....I literally grew up playing Wolfenstein, Doom, and Doom II. Those were my games...I spent countless hours playing them. I still remember some of the codes from the first Doom

IDSPISPOPD - no clipping
IDDQD - God mode
IDKFA - all weapons...

God I can't believe I remember that still.

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 11:47 AM

Doom 3 was definately great, I thought it was a litttle short, but whattaya gonna do?
I really liked picking up the PDAs off the dead guys, that was a nice touch.

HL2 will be the next one, but only after the price goes down a bit.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 07:30 AM

Oddly, I just about built a computer just for this game... LOL! It was time for an upgrade anyway... Anywho, hands down the best graphics I've even seen, of course, I happen to be running two nvidia 6600gt's in SLI mode on an ASUS Delux motherboard with an Athlon 64 3500, and 1GB of mem. I run it on Ultra High resolution, and WOW!

Awesome game, love playing it late at night, sound turned WAY up. I love the way you're always getting surprised by crap like falling beams. ID really cranked up the "surprise" factor on this...

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 08:05 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Squid
Oddly, I just about built a computer just for this game... LOL! It was time for an upgrade anyway... Anywho, hands down the best graphics I've even seen, of course, I happen to be running two nvidia 6600gt's in SLI mode on an ASUS Delux motherboard with an Athlon 64 3500, and 1GB of mem. I run it on Ultra High resolution, and WOW!

Awesome game, love playing it late at night, sound turned WAY up. I love the way you're always getting surprised by crap like falling beams. ID really cranked up the "surprise" factor on this...

Tons of questions for you. I'm thinking about going the Asus route for my upgrade.

Any memory problems? Who'd you pick for memory and what type? Your setup is nearly identical to my plan. Did you use the RAID 0 or 1 and how was that experience? Got a separate sound card or did you go on-board? How do you like that? Any thoughts on the AGP vs PCIe war?

TIA

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
Tons of questions for you. I'm thinking about going the Asus route for my upgrade.

Any memory problems? Who'd you pick for memory and what type? Your setup is nearly identical to my plan. Did you use the RAID 0 or 1 and how was that experience? Got a separate sound card or did you go on-board? How do you like that? Any thoughts on the AGP vs PCIe war?

TIA
lol, I'm soooo not done with it!

So far, no memory problems. Although admittedly, I went out and bought cheap PNY memory simply because I had been piecing it together for weeks (I chose many special 'bling bling' parts ), and just wanted to get the damn thing to finally run so I could enjoy it! It's been up and running for a handful of days now, no problems. It's 512DDR 2700. However, I do have a line on some supposedly bad ass Infineon 1GB sticks... just a matter of when the comes in through various channels...

As for RAID, I'm only using one Western Digital IDE 120GB 7200 rpm drive. Again, this is work in progress...

As for sound card, one of the main reasons I went with the ASUS A8N Sli Deluxe is so I wouldn't have to buy a sound card. So far, I'm using only two speakers, but again, I've got a line on a 7.1 system, work in progress...

No real thoughts on the AGP/PCIe controversy. It's been about 4 years since I built my last pc, and, of course, a lot has changed. I just wanted the flexibility of being able to use two cards, and, in theory, have two '2nd notch' cards out perform a single 'top notch' card...

As for how I like it, so far, SO FAR, it's DA BOMB! I really get a kick out of the NOS concept...scared the crap outta me when I engaged it, and IT suddenly jumped to something like 9.2ghz!
The BIOS is really over-clock friendly, but I'm not into that sort of thing, particulary with an Athlon 64, is there really a need?

I also wanted to build something with serious BLING-AGE! I did a lot of research on completely clear acrylic cases, and none come close to Beantek's BT85, which, mind you, also has a slide-out motherboard tray... Got a chromed out X-Connect 500W PSU with uv reactive cables, the fully copper Zalman fan, and some utterly pointless (yet highly cool looking) analog gauges which act as VU meters for sound, and HDD usage... lol Oh yeah, and lighted IDE cables...

Again, it's work in progress, I spent the last two days dicking around with Windows. Did you know the Windows XP "upgrade", really contains the FULL version? Apparently so... It only asks for a prior version CD for a few seconds to make the determination if you have something, then proceeds to install everything... After some more dicking around and frustration (oh yeah, nvidia has a 'network manager' firewall program that can block you from doing Windows updates...the source of several hours of pure ANGST ), I was able to download SP2, and a ton of other updates to bring everything back to speed...

Oh yeah, and if you do go ASUS, some of their motherboards, mine included, have a 24 PIN power connector...Most PSU's come with a 20pin... Had to order the cable separately, thus took more time...

I'm happy to try an answer any questions I can. I'm not a SUPER-geek lol, but I do tend to know what the word is on the street for the good stuff...
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 09:02 AM
Strength and Honor

How's the Zalman been doing with your temps? I'm not an overclocker either, though as tools become easier to use that might change.

I've got a Lian Li box that I'll never part with. Dissipates heat beautifully, is very easy to work on, and has zero sharp points. The overhaul I'm looking at is a new mobo, cpu, memory, graphics card.

I've got a pair of 40GB hard drives which aren't even 1/4 full, so I see no point in changing them. The sound card I've had has continuously created problems for me and I believe is the cause for my 4 minute (I kid you not) login process for my login alone. The other logins are almost instant

Anyway, I've always had Asus and respect their BIOSs and memory acceptance capability but am wary of a downturn in quality. There's a big brew-ha-ha going on regarding some Taiwan manu's creating rip-off hardware so my guard's currently up on stuff sourced from there.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 09:53 AM

Do you have your operating system installed on either of those two drives you intend on 'carrying over'? Some version of Windows XP perhaps? Because if so, you'll have a TON of problems, unless you seriously know what your doing.

I didn't see any reason to not use my old drives either (a 60 gig and a 10 gig, like you, not nearly full (the new drive I got with a ton of rebates, ultimately costing me $40)), however, Windows really, REALLY, does not like it when you try and use it on a new board with new CPU, particularly if you're going from (this was my case) P4 to Athlon, and completely different motherboards. I tried that route, and was spending waaaaaaay too much time fighting Windows, and the majority of research I did online pointed to simply getting another HD (or formatting one you have) and re-installing Windows from scratch. Apparently, there's just way too much BS, way too many settings/registry entries/etc. I abhorred the thought of spending 25 man hours pulling it off, and later having weird hang ups AFTER installing all sort of programs I wanted... IMO, start clean if you can, then use any drives you might have as slaves.

To answer your question though, too early to tell with temps. Then again, I don't have either case side panel installed, so everything is pretty much open...lol I have to say though, it is one WINDY environment in that case, there are 12 fans total running my system (4 on the mobo, one factory fan for the nvidia, one on each graphics card, and the cpu)! TWELVE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode