My TX Govt Assignment - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

My TX Govt Assignment

My assignmet was to write about the Texas propostion 12: what is it, do i agree or not, and if i was FOR the ammendment what type of commercial would I protray, and if I was AGAINST it what type if commercial would I protray... and other responces i'll just post the whole assignment to fill you in on it Hope you laugh at it, I find it hilarious
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1a. Proposition 12 of the 2003 constitutional amendments is basically limiting how much a person can sue for damages, limiting all types of lawsuits. I have first hand experience with this, I was in a very bad motorcycle accident and couldn’t sue over what the other persons insurance offered, and not liking the results apparently…From the ballot language I can tell that it has to do something with lawsuits against insurance and medical companies, and that the legislation somehow limits ‘non-economic damages.’ Sure it makes sense, but it is worded in a way that sounds like its helpful for both sides of the party, but inevitably we’re screwed.

1b. The ones who would have pushed for this amendment forward are the major insurance companies, doctors, and people like them who don’t want to take responsibility of their duties.

1c. My only idea, which is still kind of a bad idea, just kidding its a really good idea, to try to convince Texans for this amendment would be a TV commercial goes something like this: A black and white scene; A hobo with a long gray beard who smells like a fresh piece of death for the flies to flirt with, is sitting at a traffic light with a empty can of beans. Labeled on the can of beans is a simple note of truth “Help”. Then some narrator begins to speak, “This man here was a successful Doctor not more than a month ago, until a ruthless lawsuit stole his American dream.” Scene change, a bright colorful area, surgery spot lights blind you and fade/focus into the scene at a hospital where the doctor is helping a patient in surgery. Then the doctor lifts his arms meaning he had successfully accomplished the operation saving this person’s life. As this scene goes by the narrator says, “If this man had not been pillaged by the non-economic damages, he would of saved this persons life.” Scene change, black and white the only color shown is green, the green pulses of the heart monitor, pulses fade… fade … and fade… camera zooms out to see the sick patient flatline, beeeeeeeep... Narrator says “Vote yes to proposition 12, and save a life.”

1d. I would oppose this amendment, because all the money I received from my crash went to doctor bills, if this amendment was not passed I would be in Hawaii right now, just kidding , I got a cut in the cash, but could of got much more (crying)!!! In all seriousness the ones who need more than what the insurance offers for bill payments and correction of past screw ups from previous doctors.

1e. Against: Use my story of a motorcycle accident… Another TV commercial: I bright beautiful day, there is a soccer game going on and a father is filming the action. THEN screeching tires and a loud crash, the father jumps and the camera shakes then pans towards the intersection at the perfect moment, you see a man flipping in the air end over end, then lands on the pavement with a bone chilling slap. The camera pans to the intersection where the motorcycle and car are, pieces everywhere. Camera moves back to the motorcyclist, the motorcyclist lifts his head for a brief second and then falls back to the horizon. Then the camera pans to the right halfway back to the soccer game, to where there is a man sitting on a table in a woodland area, (kinda like the Allstate commercials) The man says “this young gentleman will not have the proper care needed… because there is a new law that limits how much he can get from the insurance company. Vote No to proposition 12, and help one another.” Then a can of beans is flies into the camera and smears down the lens, the camera pans to the throw-ee who is a hobo with a stiff middle finger. The previous scene: the patient was not the motorcyclist…

f. Which group would have an easier time convincing Texans and why? Well it all depends in how they portray it, but most likely it would convince the Texans to vote no if it was told out in full text truth.

g. Did the amendment pass or fail (use the "Historical Election Results" link)? By what percentage? The amendment passed with a 51.13%.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 05:57 AM
Strength and Honor

So in Texas one could sell harmful products and only be liable for economic damages? Wow.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 07:02 AM

While limiting "pain and suffering" damages seems like a good idea (since all they really do is make lawyers rich), I think the first commercial is a load of crap. Have you heard of malpractice insurance?
The second commercial smells like poo because medical care (and lost wages) are most definitely economic damages.

I didn't know before getting involved with lawyers myself, but pain and suffering is considered the total sum of medical bills times three to five (depending on whose lawyer is better). Since I skipped the ambulance ride, and didn't have medical insurance on top of what the motorcycle insurance had ($2500) and the at faults party insurance would only reimburse, not pay for, I had to skip on the physical therapy, and thus endured much less "pain and suffering".
Which the lawyer screwed me out of.. fucktards, the lot of them

Kanwisch: no.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I guess no one caught the can o' beans part...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode