New Music - Page 4 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 01:50 PM

Kick Out the Jams Motherf***ers

Quote:
Originally posted by VYPIR
I feel that rock music has always been there as a forerunner. It has just taken a newer shape. It used to be some harder drums and some electric and you just went at it, (Beetles, Presley). Then took a more orchestra like form, (Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd). More electric effects and drama were put in as technology evelved, (Whitesnake, and others like them). Then slowly evolved into a harder form called metal.
Vypir, your youth is showing. Heavy Metal has been around since the late '60s. Pick up a copy of the MC 5's "Kick Out the Jams" and crank it up as loud as your stereo goes. Recorded live in 1968 this album still kicks the ass off 99.9 percent of the rock recorded since.

Led Zeppelin (orchestral? you've haven't listend to their first two albums have you?), Black Sabbath, Vanilla Fudge, Iggy and the Stooges, the Who, and Spooky tooth laid the groundwork for the imitation bands that followed. Whitesnake? AC/DC? Mettallica? Gimme a friggin' break. They suck.

But what should I expect of someone who can't even spell "Beatles"?

I'm not disparging the new bands mentioned here. I like the direction rock is heading after all the crap assasulting our ears in the 1980s. But stating that Metal evolved in the late '70s and early '80s is just plain ignoring rock history.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Re: Kick Out the Jams Motherf***ers

Quote:
Originally posted by photobug

I'm not disparging the new bands mentioned here. I like the direction rock is heading after all the crap assasulting our ears in the 1980s. But stating that Metal evolved in the late '70s and early '80s is just plain ignoring rock history.
Man Photo, you've got some really strong opinions when it comes to music. I remember bumping heads with you about a year ago when it came to this exact subject.

Was that your pet bat that Ozzy killed?

I think that most people would agree that Metal became known as such in the late 70s and 80s. It's roots which you mentioned, to me are more rock and roll... but hell it's music and there's no fact to anything when it comes to opinions on this topic.

I just dig the new influx of music. It's nice to hear bands singing about their genuine thoughts and feelings as opposed to this "It never stops raining and my life sucks" grunge crap....

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #33 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 02:56 PM

Re: Re: Kick Out the Jams Motherf***ers

Quote:
Originally posted by chris_y2k_r1

Man Photo, you've got some really strong opinions when it comes to music. I remember bumping heads with you about a year ago when it came to this exact subject.

Was that your pet bat that Ozzy killed?

I think that most people would agree that Metal became known as such in the late 70s and 80s. It's roots which you mentioned, to me are more rock and roll... but hell it's music and there's no fact to anything when it comes to opinions on this topic.

I just dig the new influx of music. It's nice to hear bands singing about their genuine thoughts and feelings as opposed to this "It never stops raining and my life sucks" grunge crap....
No, that wasn't my pet bat.

The particular genre known as Heavy Metal has been called that since Steppenwolf released "Born to be Wild." I know, I was around then, but of course I don't remember much of the 1970s. I was listening to too much early Pink Floyd back then. Needed the dark shades at night, if you get my drift.

I agree with y'all about the new music, I was just trying to clear up some misinformation Vypir posted. Nothing personal Vypir, just trying to post the facts. My opinions on Nightranger et al do not reflect my opinions of people who listen to those bands. I'd rather listen to them than to Barry Manilow or Barbara Streisand.

Now if jazz would enter a similar renaissance I'd be even happier. It's saddening to hear the "new giants" rehashing the same stuff John Coltrane and Miles Davis pioneered 45 years ago.

post #34 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 06:10 PM

new CD

Chris...just picked up a CD you may wanna check out. I listen mostly to underground stuff, so you may not have heard of most of the stuff I'll mention here on SBW, but it's still good stuff.

I just picked up a CD by a band called Redline (gotta love the name). The CD's called "Supernova" and some particularly good tracks off the disc are: "Vapor", "Pusher", "Pacemaker", "Into the Sky" (last half of the song in particular), Gravity, and Exoplanet. I know that's a lot of tracks, but I think they're gonna be difficult to find, even on WinMX. Hopefully you can snag a few of 'em though. Pretty bitchin' stuff!
post #35 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 02:44 PM

I'm just glad the whole "Grunge" thing has passed, and music with more heavy guitars is around.

Off the top of my head, I think "Mr. Tinkertrain" by Ozzy is one of the best tunes to listen to before a ride.

I like Tantric, Nickelback, also. Both albums are good front to back.

Note: R & B, hip hop etc, maks me want to shoot myself
post #36 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 03:14 PM

For you guys that like Nickleback you should check out some of their earlier stuff, it's pretty good. I don't know if it's available in the States but they've been pretty well known for awhile up here in Canada.
post #37 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Knight of Ni
I'm just glad the whole "Grunge" thing has passed, and music with more heavy guitars is around.
I wasn't big time into "grunge" when it was current, but it's certaintly grown on me over the years.

Heavy guitars? I think Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Sound Garden, Alice in Chains, etc., etc. have some pretty awesome riffs. No?

Also, alot of these "nu-metal" bands have some pretty nauseating "ballads". Although, not near as bad 's as some of the 80's hair band stuff.

Last edited by Hysyde; 05-31-2002 at 09:21 AM.
post #38 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 11:08 AM

I pretty much HATE what's called rock today. It's all a bunch of rap crap! Never heard of "Tantric" that everyone's talking about. Are they rap-metal like say...linkin park or bizkit?

Man I say turn the clock back to '85 and start rocking! Sorry guys I am stuck in the 80's. I'll keep wearing out Rush, Metallica (Master of Puppets and before), Megadeth, & Ozzy CD's. Even some of the hair bands put out good tunes. I'm listening to Skid Row's Monkey Business right now. Radio free Virgin's "hair today, gone tomorrow" channel brings back the "good ole days".
post #39 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:21 PM

There's some awesome music out there, but you'll never hear it on the radio unless it's on a top-notch college station.
I'm thinking of Trans Am, The ****ing Champs, The Cherry Valance, And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, Nashville Pussy, Fu Manchu, etc...
Turn off that mainstream crap and hit the clubs to see some real music. :smug bastard smiley:

"Tantric". *shudder* I don't even know how to respond to that.

Last edited by lord tim; 05-31-2002 at 01:12 PM.
post #40 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hysyde

Heavy guitars? I think Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Sound Garden, Alice in Chains, etc., etc. have some pretty awesome riffs. No?

:
Yep, I like Jerry Cantrell, and Kim Thayil (sp?), but I couldn't stand the sound of Nirvana. and still can't. Some of the other grunge bands have grown on my a little be over the years also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode