New Member has a question about jackets... ;0) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Hi all! My name is Kelby and I am a new member to SportBike world and I am also a new rider. I purchased a 1992 Suzuki GS 500E about a month ago, which is when I learned how to ride. I have put a fair amount of milage on it and I can say that I already want a new one... a GXSR of course! Anyway, I have a question regarding jackets. I am interested in what people think is necessary for a jacket. I mean, I will be riding to commute some, but I also plan on hitting some twisty roads and get a little speed. Is it necessary to get back braces in your jacket if you are pretty much just playing around? What about shoulder and elbow braces? I have familiarized myself with the moto-gear brands and they all seem to be pretty decent. Are some brands better than others? I guess since I will be shelling out a good couple hundred dollars for a jacket, I want to be sure I get one that will last the wear and tear (hopefully not literally!) of the road. Thanks... ;0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 10:26 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about brand names. Make sure it's a well made jacket. ie: Good thick leather, strong stitching, armour in the right places. Then find one that fits well. (if it's the most expensive one in the city,..... welcome to my world )
Alot of the money for high end gear goes into the 'little' things that make the stuff more enjoyable. Things such as supple leather, cool style, venting, extra pockets, and flexibility. You don't have to buy a big name brand to get these, you just have to look harder.

remember, the more comfortable the jacket is, the more likely you'll wear it.

BTW, welcome to SBW, there's alot of info here so just ask. Some of the answers will even be correct.

The older I get,
The better I was.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 10:29 AM

You are right in that you want one that will last the wear and tear you subject it to. IMO you should purchase your gear to the highest level of protection that you need. If you plan on "hitting some twisty roads and get a little speed" I would definitely suggest something with armor in it, or at least the capability to accept it later. I have a Fieldsheer jacket with removable armor (I beleive just about all armor is removable) that zips into pants for a full suit when I need it. I personally like Fieldsheer because of the cost to quality ratio when compared to some of the other brands, although I am not very familiar with moto-gear. --Just my opinion

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode